Eva foam help please

Trostan

So I'm hoping to get started on my first eva foam armour build, and I've got everything ready except the foam. I'm having difficulties tracking down any of the thinner sheets/rolls (6mm or 1/4") I'm up in Canada and it seems that stores don't carry that here xD So any of you who are up in the snowy north and use eva foam, where do you find yours?

Again, I've tried lwes/home depot/walmart/sears, and everywhere else that seems to have it in the states, but no such luck here that I can manage yet.

Thanks for any help or insight you guys might have!

I'm not from Canada but I buy my foam at a store called five below for a price of 3$ per mat. If you don't have one of those I would suggest to check either Home Depot, Lowes, Local hardware stores or Amazon when all else fails! Good luck

Thank you for the reply Starlord! It's beginning to seem like I'll have to buy out of country, but ah well. I just tried making a vambrace out of those thick floor interlocking floor mats, and I think that they are a touch too thick to achive the desired effect.

Canadian (Edmontonian) here... I get all my foam at Canadian Tire. You can find rolls or tiles there. Usually their rolls (4×8) are thinner than the interlocking tiles and they go on good sales fairly often.
20150809_074745.jpg

Last edited:
Manitoban chiming in; I built my own Mass Effect N7 armour last year and used 0.5" thick foam I found at Home Depot. While it did work, it felt bulkier in some areas than it should have, and was slightly harder to work with. I'm helping my girlfriend build a costume, and we picked up the black mat at Canadian Tire that mmilan posted an image of. A friend of mine found some thinner mats (almost 0.25" thick) at a dollar store in downtown Winnipeg, and those helped a fair bit. You might want to check the odd dollar store for those. The only caveat was that it was not as good quality as the thicker mats. Either way, hope this helps.

use a mix of 1/4 and 1/2 inch foam for armor build to make it easier to work on arms and legs. I buy it at Canadian tire (ontario)

Thanks for the replies everyone! Looks like I might have to get my Canadian tire to order it in, as all they have are the large tiles and than slightly thinner ones (1/2 and 3/8)

go look in the canadian tire carpet section for rolls
Yup, I went into Canadian tire and asked and they said "No" they didn't have any. I found it in the Area rugs and flooring. Ask for "anti fatigue mats". Also, keep in mind that the grip on one side might be visible in some parts of your build. I was able to work part of it into a build I did but also had trouble hiding it at times and it makes it harder to layer when the grip side protrudes alot http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045...ue-foam-floor-mat-diamond-reviews/reviews.htm
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/best-step-anti-fatigue-foam-floor-mat-assorted-0681360p.html#.VceLZK2sEWs

Last edited:
huh. Well that should help! Like I said, I tore the store apart looking for it, but if I can just show them that, it should make things much much easier! Thanks!

I've learned to use words that the staff understand when looking for the parts I need. Sometime it's just a communication barrier. If you ask for foam mats they will show you yoga stuff. If you ask for foam flooring they will show you kids bedroom stuff.

Perfect! Thanks everyone! Hopefully I can get started on my projects this afternoon than! So much to do, thankfully I have the internet as my guide in the world of eva armour building!
:p

you can enter your postal code into the Canadian Tire website and find the closest store that has the foam in stock. Maybe save yourself a trip :)

Also pay attention to thickness a lot of times it can be the same packages but you can have 2 different thicknesses. Had that happen a few times and the rolls came from the same box.

I've found great stores for foam in the US

Harbor Freight 1/2 inch foam mats
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-94635.html

Joann Fabrics 6mm foam sheets
http://www.joann.com/darice-foamies-9inx12in-6mm-foam-sheets-/4486049.html

Walmart 2mm foam sheets
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fibre-Craft-Creative-Hands-Smart-Foam-Sheets/24603556

Most people recommend rolls instead of small sheets, but I've found that you can usually trace templates out pretty good on several small sheets without too many seams. I also hate flattening out a roll of foam. I use the 1/2 inch foam for big sturdy pieces, the 6mm foam for smaller but still sturdy pieces or detailing, and the 2mm craft foam for little details, etc. Hope this helps, PM me if you have any questions?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm wondering....would the thin yoga mats work? Or is that a different type of foam?

You have to be careful with yoga mats, I'd avoid buying any online that you can't see the texture of the foam. I bought a bunch of yoga mats that looked smooth but had textures on both sides and weren't the right type of foam. EVA foam floor mats...can't go wrong with those.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back