Eva foam help please

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Trostan, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Trostan

Trostan New Member

So I'm hoping to get started on my first eva foam armour build, and I've got everything ready except the foam. I'm having difficulties tracking down any of the thinner sheets/rolls (6mm or 1/4") I'm up in Canada and it seems that stores don't carry that here xD So any of you who are up in the snowy north and use eva foam, where do you find yours?

Again, I've tried lwes/home depot/walmart/sears, and everywhere else that seems to have it in the states, but no such luck here that I can manage yet.

Thanks for any help or insight you guys might have!

2. STARL0RD

STARL0RD Active Member

I'm not from Canada but I buy my foam at a store called five below for a price of 3$ per mat. If you don't have one of those I would suggest to check either Home Depot, Lowes, Local hardware stores or Amazon when all else fails! Good luck

3. Trostan

Trostan New Member

Thank you for the reply Starlord! It's beginning to seem like I'll have to buy out of country, but ah well. I just tried making a vambrace out of those thick floor interlocking floor mats, and I think that they are a touch too thick to achive the desired effect.

4. bak9799

bak9799 Well-Known Member

5. Badgersbunk

Badgersbunk Active Member

Is there any harbor freight stores in Canada. Also you can check the auto parts store. They have rolls for the garage floor.

6. mmilan

mmilan New Member

Canadian (Edmontonian) here... I get all my foam at Canadian Tire. You can find rolls or tiles there. Usually their rolls (4×8) are thinner than the interlocking tiles and they go on good sales fairly often.
    20150809_074745.jpg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  7. ripburger

ripburger New Member

Manitoban chiming in; I built my own Mass Effect N7 armour last year and used 0.5" thick foam I found at Home Depot. While it did work, it felt bulkier in some areas than it should have, and was slightly harder to work with. I'm helping my girlfriend build a costume, and we picked up the black mat at Canadian Tire that mmilan posted an image of. A friend of mine found some thinner mats (almost 0.25" thick) at a dollar store in downtown Winnipeg, and those helped a fair bit. You might want to check the odd dollar store for those. The only caveat was that it was not as good quality as the thicker mats. Either way, hope this helps.

8. MNCProps

MNCProps New Member

use a mix of 1/4 and 1/2 inch foam for armor build to make it easier to work on arms and legs. I buy it at Canadian tire (ontario)

9. Trostan

Trostan New Member

Thanks for the replies everyone! Looks like I might have to get my Canadian tire to order it in, as all they have are the large tiles and than slightly thinner ones (1/2 and 3/8)

10. MNCProps

MNCProps New Member

go look in the canadian tire carpet section for rolls

11. Trostan

Trostan New Member

I did, tore it apart. Didn't even see an empty shelve where it might have been. But I'll find it somewhere yet!

12. mmilan

mmilan New Member

Yup, I went into Canadian tire and asked and they said "No" they didn't have any. I found it in the Area rugs and flooring. Ask for "anti fatigue mats". Also, keep in mind that the grip on one side might be visible in some parts of your build. I was able to work part of it into a build I did but also had trouble hiding it at times and it makes it harder to layer when the grip side protrudes alot http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045...ue-foam-floor-mat-diamond-reviews/reviews.htm
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/best-step-anti-fatigue-foam-floor-mat-assorted-0681360p.html#.VceLZK2sEWs

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  13. Trostan

Trostan New Member

huh. Well that should help! Like I said, I tore the store apart looking for it, but if I can just show them that, it should make things much much easier! Thanks!

14. mmilan

mmilan New Member

I've learned to use words that the staff understand when looking for the parts I need. Sometime it's just a communication barrier. If you ask for foam mats they will show you yoga stuff. If you ask for foam flooring they will show you kids bedroom stuff.

15. MNCProps

MNCProps New Member

WIN_20150809_133245.JPG WIN_20150809_133224.JPG this is what the roll look like. Brand name change from time to time. Quality also change as well

16. Trostan

Trostan New Member

Perfect! Thanks everyone! Hopefully I can get started on my projects this afternoon than! So much to do, thankfully I have the internet as my guide in the world of eva armour building!
    :p

17. mmilan

mmilan New Member

you can enter your postal code into the Canadian Tire website and find the closest store that has the foam in stock. Maybe save yourself a trip :)

18. mbrewer

mbrewer New Member

I'm wondering....would the thin yoga mats work? Or is that a different type of foam?

19. Badgersbunk

Badgersbunk Active Member

Also pay attention to thickness a lot of times it can be the same packages but you can have 2 different thicknesses. Had that happen a few times and the rolls came from the same box.

20. RocFoamArmory

RocFoamArmory Active Member

I've found great stores for foam in the US

Harbor Freight 1/2 inch foam mats
    http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-94635.html

Joann Fabrics 6mm foam sheets
    http://www.joann.com/darice-foamies-9inx12in-6mm-foam-sheets-/4486049.html

Walmart 2mm foam sheets
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fibre-Craft-Creative-Hands-Smart-Foam-Sheets/24603556

Most people recommend rolls instead of small sheets, but I've found that you can usually trace templates out pretty good on several small sheets without too many seams. I also hate flattening out a roll of foam. I use the 1/2 inch foam for big sturdy pieces, the 6mm foam for smaller but still sturdy pieces or detailing, and the 2mm craft foam for little details, etc. Hope this helps, PM me if you have any questions?

- - - Updated - - -

You have to be careful with yoga mats, I'd avoid buying any online that you can't see the texture of the foam. I bought a bunch of yoga mats that looked smooth but had textures on both sides and weren't the right type of foam. EVA foam floor mats...can't go wrong with those.

mbrewer likes this.
  21. JWKruser

JWKruser Active Member

Harbor freight has hit or miss batches of foam. Sometimes its fine, most of the time the quality is not the best. It will have holes where air bubles formed. I use the cheap stuff from harbor freight for structural pieces. Pieces that need to look good and have a great finish, I like these guys : http://tntcosplaysupply.com/products.html

*edit to correct spelling

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  22. collinE83

collinE83 Well-Known Member

I'll agree with this. tntcosplaysupply.com's foam doesn't have bubbles and it's smooth on both sides so none of the diamond pattern showing through. It's like the small craft foam sheets you can get, but it large rolls and different thicknesses. Shipping does up the cost a bit though.

JWKruser likes this.
  23. RocFoamArmory

RocFoamArmory Active Member

I have purchased at least 50 2x2 ft sheets of foam from harbor freight, and only have had a few air pockets. And then I cut around them. It's all a matter of preference of cost put into a build. I've built 2.5 full suits with the harbor freight stuff, and it's really sturdy

24. JWKruser

JWKruser Active Member

I've purchased my fair share of their cheap foam as well. I got really tired of filling holes with DAP Kwikseal. I'd rather spend the extra cash and get quality material. But to each his own. Thats the great part about this. Its your project. Make it how you want, out of what you want. This was the last thing I made using Harbor freight quality foam. You can see all the white spots where I used Kwikseal to fill the foam holes. There was no way to cut around them as they were all over each piece, which is how I've always found Harbor Freight foam. But who knows, maybe I'm just the one guy who gets that quality of foam from them.

[​IMG]

25. jayroth

jayroth Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey, that's some real nice work there...

JWKruser likes this.