Escape from New York - Tracker

Skyler101

Sr Member
This is a total work on progress.

My EFNY theme continues. For the longest time, I have kept my eyes open for a Tiger SubWars game to modify into the tracker unit Snake uses at the start of Escape from New York. I had no luck, so I thought I might give it a shot based on some of the pictures I found on the net.

IMG_6799.JPGIMG_6798.JPGIMG_6794.JPGIMG_6793.JPG

The size was eyeballed from some photos, so if anyone has the original SubWars game, and willing to take some shots of it for me, I would be appreciative. Hoping to get som e electronics into the final piece.

This will take some time, but happy with what I was able to pull together.

-Skyler101

I think I have one of them still. Always meant to make this prop, but never did...
If I can find it I'll post some measurements, will look tomorrow. :)

That is looking fantastic! I have the Tiger game but it still has the box and I can't bring myself to destroy it to make a prop, even if it is from my top five all time favorite movies. But if you finish this and offer copies, put me first on your list!

How detailed/precise do you want? :)
Basic measurements: 82mm square, 37mm thick/deep. Raised border around screen is 1mm high, 3.5 thick all the way around
6 holes on the bottom are 4.5mm diameter
Rectangle for the 'display' area is 64x46mm

PM sent

Yep, found it! I'll get some measurements tonight and post them...

Send me a PM if you want it, that might save you some time. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'll keep you in mind Funky.
I want to get the prototype done, and if there is interest, I'll look at making a run.

-Skyler101

That is looking fantastic! I have the Tiger game but it still has the box and I can't bring myself to destroy it to make a prop, even if it is from my top five all time favorite movies. But if you finish this and offer copies, put me first on your list!

Hey guys,

I'm in transit most of September, but will definitely be developing and moving on with this project :)

My plan is to create the shell and replicate the screen, using a laser cutter to etch and then paint the graphics. I know the original was silk screened, but given what happened with the tracker in the movie, I think Snake might be worried that the sizing graphics might get scratched off! :)

Once I have the shell made, I was thinking about getting some LEDs and see what I can do with getting the unit functional.

I'll be heading to NY later in the year, so I plan to have it ready before I head into Manhattan Island.

-Skyler101

Quick update...
Finalised the design of the tracker, but waiting for a SubWar game to arrive to double check measurements.

Can’t wait for this to all come together.

Once I have a prototype, I’ll be moving forward with electronics.

- Skyler101

Hey guys, update time:

Sorry about the break, work had me flying all over the globe, and I got a little more travel than I expected.

Good news is that when I got back home, I had a package from Rik1138 and boy of boy, did that make my day. Thank you Rik, the TankWAr case will make this project go alot faster now.My tracker's sizing was based on photos and my own hand, which happens to be bigger than Kurt Russell's hand. How do I know that?

Well, my tracker is too big. I did take a photo of my tracker and hand and superimposed it, but it was still off. :(

IMG_7063.jpg

So right now my next task will be to resize the artwork, get the font for the perspex ready and build the outside case. Some really subtle details to the subwar case just came up, and I am playing with the idea of making this piece with USPF markings and numbers as if it came out of the movie screen. Let me know if that is something you want.

OK, let me get back to it... More to come.

-Skyler101

OK, some good news...
Have moved a smaller laser cutter into my office so that I can get some real work on the tracker.

I have been able to get the face of the tracker properly sized up. Took a little bit of fiddling with the software I was using, but I now have it spot on.
Was playing with different heights of material for the circular bevel, but I found it got lost so I am keeping it at 3mm instead of 1mm. It definitely looks spectacular at 3mm and really pops.

Here are some development pics right from the cutter. There is a slight bevel in the edges of the case that I will want to replicate and play with this week, and once that's done, I'll move onto the font and lines of the screen. If anyone has an idea of what the font was that is close to the screen-printed numbers, please let me know.

Hope it helps your trip to NY! Enjoy....

-Skyler101

Been a while...

Just to let you know that this project is not dead. Had to get my cutter back in action and hope to have another update in a couple of days.
Hope you will like it.

- Skyler101

Sounds good (y). I actually managed to get an original off of eBay recently fully functional with original inner packaging but no outer box and just like Funky I am finding it hard to take a saw to it.

I have been so lame on this. Real life just kicked my butt on this project, but I will be back home in a week, and I will be kicking this project into overdrive. Time to get the master into some rubber and get some shells together.

Sorry to take so long, but this will be done. If you are still following, please hit the like button...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back