ESB Mauser Conversion Progress

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by batninja, Jun 30, 2006.

1. batninja

batninja Well-Known Member

My Blas-Tech parts came in, and I'm starting to prep for the kit.

I've sawed off a little of the barrel, but I thought I'd better everyone's opinion of the exact length before I finish cutting. So...what's the general consensus on the length from the edge of the magazine well to the edge of the flash suppressor?

[​IMG]

I don't want to have a custom holster done if I get the wrong length. Thanks.

2. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

MR's is about 2 1/8" (or 2 5/32").
    Technically none of the barrel is cut off on the real prop since the tip pokes out inside the cone. I assume BlasTech still doesn't offer a "barrel-through" muzzle design though.

3. batninja

No, the flash muzzle is not pass-through, but that's okay. I'm not concerned over hyper-accuracy like I am my Fett stuff. I like the detail on John's pieces and just want to make sure the pistol fits the standard holster. A friend is helping me with the leatherwork and he's already got patterns. I just didn't want to have to re-invent the wheel just for this blaster.

On another note, I remember the first time I made one of these blasters when I was a kid. I used a metal Band-Aid box for the body, and made the handle out of cardboard. Since I wasn't allowed to paint at that age, I used up all of Dad's rolls of electrical tape to cover the gun. He was more than a littled * that I'd wasted all that tape.

I'm finally going to have my toy blaster, after twenty years of waiting. :)

4. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(lonepigeon @ Jul 1 2006, 02:49 AM) [snapback]1271847[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, he does - I bought a "barrel-through" flash hider from John for my Han ESB.:)

[​IMG]

5. batninja

I'm reworking the blaster, as I didn't add a washer/'spacer' between the scope mount and the body of the gun. Is this accurate? Are there any movie reference pics that show this?

Also, I'm confused about the detailing on the left side of the blaster, particularly the area above the trigger. There are discrepancies between the MR version, my resin cast, and other mockups I've seen. Does anyone know EXACTLY what's supposed to go in this area for the Solo ESB version?

[​IMG]

And finally (I hope), what is the correct position of this Revell part?

[​IMG]

I appreciate all the feedback, gang. This project should wrap up in a few days.

6. wuher da brewer

wuher da brewer Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't believe any of A-D are entirely correct. I think the parts in the center are electrical wire components. The kind that crimps onto a wire and slides over a post. I believe the part with the crimps is cut off leaving the part that slips over the post with just a bit of a neck.

I'm not entirely sure of how they're fastened. Some use rivets. Some use a philips head screw and a square head screw.

7. batninja

Wow...sounds complicated.
    Do you have any reference shots of this?

8. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

"B" is the correct orientation of the motor/coil piece.
    "Motor" is oriented towards the front of the gun.

9. batninja

Chris, thanks for the info.

That made sense to me, so that's the way I positioned it on my Denix; it appears just the opposite on the resin blaster I have.

10. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

[attachmentid=8988] [attachmentid=8989]

In the above pics they show where there is a spacer between the gun and scope mount. :)

Steve

11. jedi_adrian

jedi_adrian New Member

Nice find.

12. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(wuher da brewer @ Jul 10 2006, 12:38 AM) [snapback]1277735[/snapback]</div>
    I thought exactly the same thing, but I couldn't find any that were proportionally correct to the pic in the Star Wars Chronicles book. Perhaps that's because the Denix is a little smaller than a real Mauser... but nothing looked right. I wound up cutting the piece out of sheet aluminum using a pattern close to C in Batninja's post.

13. wuher da brewer

wuher da brewer Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

These are the kind of connectors I was talking about.

[​IMG]

14. Unfated

Unfated Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not to hijack your post, but is the length from the edge of the magazine well to the edge of the flash suppressor the same on the ANH version, as the ESB version???
    2 1/8 seems to far out for the ANH (Hero) version.

15. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I used cable terminals when building my ESB blaster:

[​IMG]

16. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(wuher da brewer @ Jul 10 2006, 11:54 AM) [snapback]1277985[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, we're talking about the same thing. I found some that were too small, and some that were too large, but I didn't find any that looked like the correct size.

17. batninja

I'll have to look for some of those, I guess. My blaster isn't going to considered 'accurate' by any means, but I wanted to see how close I could get without breaking the bank.

Thanks for all the input, folks.

18. Corellianexports

Corellianexports Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks like you're going for the Han "Hoth" version.

Here's the reference picture for that left side:

[​IMG]

Here's what I came up with for my own blaster:

[​IMG]

No one ever found that illusive, square bolt, so I just machined some thing. The rest can be found any hardware store. I found my "greeblies" at ACE Hardware.

The nice thing about these details is that they're dirt cheap and easy to assemble.

Here's the finished blaster:

[​IMG]

19. JunkSabers1138

JunkSabers1138 Sr Member

I personally don't like the ESB and ROTJ mauser blasters when compared to the ANH mauser, but you all have done yours good enough to change my mind a TINY bit ;) . But I still like the ANH the best, followed by the ESB, and then the ROTJ.
    Good job.

20. Corellianexports

Corellianexports Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The ESB version was technically meant to be an upgrade to what was used in ANH.

Han had joined the Rebels and thus was able to "upgrade" his blaster.

The ANH Hero has a real nice, antique look to it...although it's a bit of mess. The GK is a little more modern looking, but bulkier. ESB is much more modern looking and slicker. ROTJ is a bit more bulky.

21. JunkSabers1138

JunkSabers1138 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Corellianexports @ Jul 11 2006, 02:42 PM) [snapback]1278791[/snapback]</div>
    I just thought it was the prop guys' idea to change its look. But if he could upgrade it, couldn't he just put the stuff that MAKES it good into it rather than what makes it "look good" (I don't think the ESB/ROTJ blasters look anywhere NEAR as good as the ANH) on to it. Like putting all the cool perfomance features of Ferraris, lambourginis, and BMWs into... say... a Ford Falcon or another cheap car like that's frame?

Just my 2 cents.

22. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A is correct for the ESB/ROTJ stunt (Muppet Show style) DL44. I don't know of any available photos to show this but this is what I was told by someone who inspected one first hand at the Archives.

<div class='quotetop'>(batninja @ Jul 10 2006, 02:06 AM) [snapback]1277601[/snapback]</div>

23. batninja

I chose the ESB blaster for a couple reasons, I guess. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the ANH version...I mean, it's the one we all fell in love with initially, right? But when I thought about it, I couldn't see the credible purpose or feasibility of a smuggler's pistol having a long scope. Solo's not the sniping sorta guy.

I know there are modern pistols with long scopes, I just don't think it looks...practical. Just my opinion...

When I first saw the ESB blaster with the M19 squatter, I thought, now there's a concept. Loved it ever since. More compact design, simpler mounting hardware...a perfect blaster for a 'shoot-now-ask-questions-later' smuggler.

Han didn't really need that fancy scope when he shot Greedo...first.

Oh, and thanks for the photos, CE.

Kurtyboy, 'A' is what's on my convention-bought resin replica. That's goiod info as well.