ESB Mauser Conversion Progress

batninja

My Blas-Tech parts came in, and I'm starting to prep for the kit.

I've sawed off a little of the barrel, but I thought I'd better everyone's opinion of the exact length before I finish cutting. So...what's the general consensus on the length from the edge of the magazine well to the edge of the flash suppressor?

blaster_left_dim.jpg

I don't want to have a custom holster done if I get the wrong length. Thanks.

MR's is about 2 1/8" (or 2 5/32").
Technically none of the barrel is cut off on the real prop since the tip pokes out inside the cone. I assume BlasTech still doesn't offer a "barrel-through" muzzle design though.

No, the flash muzzle is not pass-through, but that's okay. I'm not concerned over hyper-accuracy like I am my Fett stuff. I like the detail on John's pieces and just want to make sure the pistol fits the standard holster. A friend is helping me with the leatherwork and he's already got patterns. I just didn't want to have to re-invent the wheel just for this blaster.

On another note, I remember the first time I made one of these blasters when I was a kid. I used a metal Band-Aid box for the body, and made the handle out of cardboard. Since I wasn't allowed to paint at that age, I used up all of Dad's rolls of electrical tape to cover the gun. He was more than a littled pissed that I'd wasted all that tape.

I'm finally going to have my toy blaster, after twenty years of waiting. :)

<div class='quotetop'>(lonepigeon @ Jul 1 2006, 02:49 AM) [snapback]1271847[/snapback]</div>
MR's is about 2 1/8" (or 2 5/32").
Technically none of the barrel is cut off on the real prop since the tip pokes out inside the cone. I assume BlasTech still doesn't offer a "barrel-through" muzzle design though.
[/b]
Yes, he does - I bought a "barrel-through" flash hider from John for my Han ESB.:)

esb_blaster.JPG

I'm reworking the blaster, as I didn't add a washer/'spacer' between the scope mount and the body of the gun. Is this accurate? Are there any movie reference pics that show this?

Also, I'm confused about the detailing on the left side of the blaster, particularly the area above the trigger. There are discrepancies between the MR version, my resin cast, and other mockups I've seen. Does anyone know EXACTLY what's supposed to go in this area for the Solo ESB version?

choices.jpg

And finally (I hope), what is the correct position of this Revell part?

choices_2.jpg

I appreciate all the feedback, gang. This project should wrap up in a few days.

I don't believe any of A-D are entirely correct. I think the parts in the center are electrical wire components. The kind that crimps onto a wire and slides over a post. I believe the part with the crimps is cut off leaving the part that slips over the post with just a bit of a neck.

I'm not entirely sure of how they're fastened. Some use rivets. Some use a philips head screw and a square head screw.

Chris, thanks for the info.

That made sense to me, so that's the way I positioned it on my Denix; it appears just the opposite on the resin blaster I have.

<div class='quotetop'>(wuher da brewer @ Jul 10 2006, 12:38 AM) [snapback]1277735[/snapback]</div>
I don't believe any of A-D are entirely correct. I think the parts in the center are electrical wire components. The kind that crimps onto a wire and slides over a post. I believe the part with the crimps is cut off leaving the part that slips over the post with just a bit of a neck.
[/b]

I thought exactly the same thing, but I couldn't find any that were proportionally correct to the pic in the Star Wars Chronicles book. Perhaps that's because the Denix is a little smaller than a real Mauser... but nothing looked right. I wound up cutting the piece out of sheet aluminum using a pattern close to C in Batninja's post.

Not to hijack your post, but is the length from the edge of the magazine well to the edge of the flash suppressor the same on the ANH version, as the ESB version???
2 1/8 seems to far out for the ANH (Hero) version.

<div class='quotetop'>(wuher da brewer @ Jul 10 2006, 11:54 AM) [snapback]1277985[/snapback]</div>
These are the kind of connectors I was talking about.

spiral-wrap.jpg

[/b]

Yep, we're talking about the same thing. I found some that were too small, and some that were too large, but I didn't find any that looked like the correct size.

I'll have to look for some of those, I guess. My blaster isn't going to considered 'accurate' by any means, but I wanted to see how close I could get without breaking the bank.

Thanks for all the input, folks.

Looks like you're going for the Han "Hoth" version.

Here's the reference picture for that left side:

HothBlasterClose_Ref_.jpg

Here's what I came up with for my own blaster:

HothDetails_small_.jpg

No one ever found that illusive, square bolt, so I just machined some thing. The rest can be found any hardware store. I found my "greeblies" at ACE Hardware.

The nice thing about these details is that they're dirt cheap and easy to assemble.

Here's the finished blaster:

HothBlasterLeft_small_.jpg

I personally don't like the ESB and ROTJ mauser blasters when compared to the ANH mauser, but you all have done yours good enough to change my mind a TINY bit ;) . But I still like the ANH the best, followed by the ESB, and then the ROTJ.
Good job.

The ESB version was technically meant to be an upgrade to what was used in ANH.

Han had joined the Rebels and thus was able to "upgrade" his blaster.

The ANH Hero has a real nice, antique look to it...although it's a bit of mess. The GK is a little more modern looking, but bulkier. ESB is much more modern looking and slicker. ROTJ is a bit more bulky.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back