Eric Stoltz Marty Mcfly Costume

Hopefully I'll be able to post updates on the costume soon. The jacket has just come back after a few revisions and I now believe it to be as authentic as possible given the limited references available.

You read that correctly, they shot majority of the movie only really missing out on the smaller scenes of the main plot. Reading up on the entire 6 week filming and production history, we're able to get a pretty good idea of Eric Stoltz 'timeline'. The order of which everything was shot follow:

November 21, 1984
Stoltz, Marc McClure, and Wendie Jo Sperber pose for the 'fading' Mcfly sibling photo.

November 26, 1984
First day of recording. Marty Watches George spy on Lorraine - George falls from tree - Marty gets hit by car.

November 26-30, 1984
1955 Baines family dinner scene - Interior of Doc Brown's house, Marty tried to convince 1955 Doc he's from the future.

December 3-7, 1984
First day of shooting on the Hill Valley back lot at Universal. Marty wandering through the courthouse square, realizing he's in 1955 - Interior shots of Lou's café, Marty first encounters the teenage George and first run in with young Biff.

December 10-14, 1984
POV and insert shots inside of Lou's Café - Skateboard Scene - Marty and George approaching Lou's café in search of Lorraine - Doc preparing for the 'weather experiment' and Marty trying to give him information about the future.

December 17-21, 1984
Beauty shots of the storefronts, movie theatre and clock tower were shot as Marty wanders the town square in 1955 - Final shots of the skateboard scene - Sequence that sees Marty returning from the dance - Marty writes his letter to Doc - Back to Universal studios, George's late night visit from 'Darth Vadar from the planet Vulcan' - Doc on the ledge of the clock tower, trying to connect the cabals, Marty watching from below.

December 24-28, 1984
Marty in Mr. Strickland's office being sentenced to detention, a scene which would latter be dropped for a new scene introducing Strickland - School cafeteria, Georges first attempt at asking Lorraine to the dance, as well as Marty facing off against Biff.

December 31-January 4, 1985
Marty awakens in Lorraine's bedroom, assuming his name to be Calvin Klein - Night shooting back at the clocktower as Doc Successfully sends the DeLorean back to 1985.

January 7-11, 1985
The crew films the DeLorean departing from its starting line on it's way to the town square to receive the energy from the lightning strike - Marty attaches hook to DeLorean - Audiences first Introduction to Doc Brown, Einstein and the DeLorean at Twin Pines Mall.

January 10, 1985
Twin Pines Mall, Doc explains the time machine while Marty Films.

Unknown to Eric at the time, shots during the final days of filming (Doc's explanation of the time machine at Twin Pines Mall) were heavily focused of Christopher Lloyd for reshooting proposes. During this time, production knew they couldn't continue with Eric as they had had worked out a deal for Micheal J Fox to take on the role.

According to Bob Gale, none of the 'Stoltz' footage has been destroyed and it still exists in some vault at Universal. It's quite interesting because there's almost a completely unseen BTTF film locked away that unfortunately no one will ever see (maybe).

One thing that appears to be missing from the jacket is the overlapping band that runs around the armscye. This was a VERY popular aesthetic for jackets in the 80s.

Are you sure about this? Of all the images I have of Stoltz in costume only one looks like it could be done this way, but the others look like it's got a regular roped shoulder. The former picture I discounted as a simple wrinkle in the sleeve. Do you have any good photos clearly showing this?

Are you sure about this? Of all the images I have of Stoltz in costume only one looks like it could be done this way, but the others look like it's got a regular roped shoulder. The former picture I discounted as a simple wrinkle in the sleeve. Do you have any good photos clearly showing this?

Honestly, it looks like I was mistaken. To me it always looked like it had those bands, but in looking through the photos, I think you're right. I think what I thought was that band was actually a wrinkle in the sleeve :unsure:

Sorry about that

As it seems, no one shared this picture in this thread, so here it is: Eric in his 1955 clothes.

behind-the-scenes-back-to-the-future-36.jpg

Magnoli Clothiers has replicas of the jacket and t shirt. It's a pricey site but the quality is amazing and it's always screen accurate.

What is Stoltz wearing under that wool jacket? You can see it most prominently during his scenes with Doc and when he's in Lou's Cafe. It looks almost blue but that's probably just the lighting, so it could be some kind of leather, but i'm not sure. Either way, I just noticed it and no I can't unnotice it.

Anybody else see it, or am I nuts? If i'm not, anybody wanna help identify it?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back