Elysium Max Exoskeleton

this is insanely awesome!

i'd live to see a pic of you wearing this next to an Edge of Tomorrow Jacket Tech Soldier or someone with a COD: Advanced Warfare Exo-Suit.

I ended up not being able to finish, after working through Thursday night. I crashed after all the redbulls and couldn't deal with the last few things that went wrong. I'm going to take some time off and then finish the project slowly. Since it's so close to being done I'm satisfied with the progress I made.

No worries, you did an epic Pro-Job on that exoskeleton :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: Take your time to finish it properly; we're not in a hurry (NOT!!:D;)

Great! 5 years later I'm finally wearing the metal cast and painted version:

IMG_3460.JPG

IMG_8215.JPG

IMG_5093.JPG

Here's a quick overview video of what it looks like:

I would of course love to post more, but it's broken after wearing it so I need to go through all the feedback I got, and all the problems I discovered and fix those before I can wear it again. Then I can take some quality pics with my photography gear, etc. I will take a month off and get started on picking up the pieces & fixing the bugs.

Excellent work, Sir. I have been inspired and am trying my hand at this awesome build. I have to ask, how tall are you? I ask so I will know how much scaleing I will need to do.

Thanks everyone for following the build! I am 6'2", but the exoskeleton is built to scale as you'll notice many parts can slide apart or be adjusted through moving up or down a hole on various connectors (like holes when tightening a belt). It's unlikely you will have serious issues with scaling, and even then you just adjust the lengths of pistons to compensate.

Your arm bands. Do you still have drawings of them? I like your approach for securing the arm pieces to your arms. It looks like it was meant to be part of the original.

Oh yeah, I never checked them in. Here are the files:

For anyone looking at this thread much later, I will make sure to put them on GitHub if I decide to remove them from Google Drive (the above link).

The 4 pieces ("ua brace" is the upper arm bracelet, and "fa brace" is the forearm bracelet) were $300 to bend out of stainless 304. I don't think I really got out of it what I was hoping, because even when tightened with double sided velcro they still slide down the arm and rotate around, messing up the bone alignment. My plan is either to secure them with additional straps that connect to shoulders, or have a 2-layer approach where I use sticky wrap to attach fasteners to fixed places on my arms and then put the bracelets over the top of that just for looks.

Thanks again for all your help. I have the chest, back and Hips done, just not finished yet. Pics will follow soon. My biggest hurdle I foresee is the End Cap Bearings. Now where was that old phone I had Laying around? (Screen for headunit)

How does it feel the actually have it on? The quality of this whole build had been absolutely amazing.

It's comfy, but restricting on severe bends, like if you want to pick stuff off the floor or grip something really tight. The bones are hooked into you through grommets in the elastic harness, which works great except the screws dig into you. I am going to put rubber caps on the body-facing end of them to spread the force to a larger area and add isolation.

Still working on repairs, almost there. Replaced plastic Igus rod-ends with metal ones from McMaster Carr, which no longer matches the movie but they were breaking all the time. Replaced real electrical wires in the spine with bungee cords (5mm) just like in the movie suit - turns out there was a reason for that. Anything hard just gets shredded apart when you move, unless it's metal.

IMG_1666.JPG

IMG_0885.JPG

IMG_2512.JPG

IMG_1215.JPG

IMG_6599.JPG

IMG_7564.JPG

IMG_7262.JPG

IMG_6205.JPG

IMG_1937.JPG

IMG_3786.JPG

I do have an odd question. Rough guess, how much webbing do you think you used for the harness?
my bolts and Binding posts are on order and the parts are being printed so this is something I can do to keep progress moving.

joberg, thanks for following the build for so long, I appreciate your encouragement!

GealicWolf, I would get 30ft and see what happens. You will have to redo parts of it due to mistakes or repair over time, and they are not terribly expensive. I got webbing that's somewhat narrow because I wanted it to be invisible behind tank top straps, but the narrower it is, the harder it's to work with and the more it hurts to wear. If you are going for easy and comfortable, get really wide webbing.

01binary, thanks again for all the info and assistance. I found a great kit that has 16yards of 1" webbing and 20 or so fastech clips. I have studied your harness and planned out my fittings to my size and the parts. Currently have most of the subassemblies printed off, working on the both the upper and lower arms. Next step will be to sit down and sand and putty and sand and trim and sand.........and sand. Then I can work on getting it put together. My son has started helping by getting the Chemrail started (Copied from this excellant video
)....its not 100% accurate, but it is in my budget.

I wanted to note what someone told me when they saw the harness and heard the issues I had with arms falling or shoulders being too low. There is a tactical riot suit for police that has hard shock-plates. They use belts between parts to hold them aligned, especially on arms and shoulders. See the belt straps from shoulder tips to forearms?

suit.PNG

It's actually surprising how much this design is similar to the exosuit - it's just plastic instead of metal and doesn't look as cool. I am going to be converting parts of my harness into this style to make it resilient to tearing and make it more comfortable to wear.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back