Efx X Wing

Once we do, then the fun is all over.

Where is the intrigue when there is no mystery? Its the thrill of the chase.

And that, gentlemen, is (I believe to be) why we are so in love with our calipers and photo comparisons, and why some are quick to dismiss mass-produced, licensed items. Not hard to figure out.

Bravo!
:thumbsup

I think that sums it all up Rob, very well put, and yes i hold my hand up to being a naysayer here lol, but thats a great statement as it goes...when all is really done and found....things wouldnt be the same...ever....we all love the hunt, and thats where we become kids again, and nostalgia takes a firm grip!

lee

Would repainting these subtract from their collectivity? I know from watching Antiques Roadshow that if you change anything from the original, it will hurt it's resell value, lol.

I would think that if you change anything from its original state it would adversely effect its collectability. But that also depends on who you sell it to. If it's someone who wants one in its original "out of the box" state, a repaint will hurt its value. If it's going to someone who wants a cool looking repainted ship then it would be worth more.And to me that's the problem with collectables, getting into them for the money. Buy it if you like it I say. If you want to buy one to sell it for more money in a few months, I would leave it in it's box, stick it in the closet and forget about it. Then, when you go to re-sell it to someone who missed the first offering, it will be just like brand new but net you more money in the end.

I think that sums it all up Rob, very well put, and yes i hold my hand up to being a naysayer here lol, but thats a great statement as it goes...when all is really done and found....things wouldnt be the same...ever....we all love the hunt, and thats where we become kids again, and nostalgia takes a firm grip!

lee

I think that if we could acheive the ultimate (yet impossible), and time travel back to the model shop in 1976, I believe that after all was said and done (and seen), we'd be left with more of a feeling of emptiness than one of satisfaction...

Yeah, yeah, it's not the destination, but the journey. :lol

Well, I don't think I would feel empty after such a visit, myself. I actually think their may be more questions from such a trip than answers.

In any event, I'm not getting the eFx for collectibility. I'm getting it because I consider it to be another step on this journey. Sure, it won't be perfect. But, it will be a peek "inside" that I wouldn't otherwise have had. And, honestly, how many of us have spent a ton of money on donor kits, sight unseen, not knowing whether they contribute any parts, just out of faith and blind hope that we pulled a winner from the draw tank? For me, the eFx is no different than that.

My personal take on the eFX is similar to that of the MR Falcon: In terms of physicality, I'm confident its the closest we've come (at least with regard to the hull). The paint can be improved upon; but very good for what it is.

Last edited:
Would repainting these subtract from their collectivity? I know from watching Antiques Roadshow that if you change anything from the original, it will hurt it's resell value, lol.

Chances are - repainting these would diminish the value of the x-wing on the open market. The "collector" side of me really would like to keep it in the original condition.
However, not on the RPF. Those who are "in the know" would appreciate a great paint job on one of these x-wings. Especially with the metal wings, moveable wings and lights. It's a great price for a nice set of features that aren't available on any SS x-wings yet. The "studio scale model" side of me would rather have a nice paint job.

People have repainted their MR falcons - and I think during resales, they got their money back for their paint jobs.

All in all I think if you really wanted to resell it - you could do so here and get the full price back.

Besides, if you got a really nice repaint on such a "feature full" x-wing why would you sell it anyways?
Plus, with the possibility of repainting this x-wing in the future, the simple "possibility" to have and x-wing that's one step closer to the "ultimate" x-wing is a must buy for me.

Oh and one may be showing up on your doorstep one of these days Rel for one of your famous paint jobs- :angel I'm still debating though..

Once we do, then the fun is all over.

Where is the intrigue when there is no mystery? Its the thrill of the chase.

And that, gentlemen, is (I believe to be) why we are so in love with our calipers and photo comparisons, and why some are quick to dismiss mass-produced, licensed items. Not hard to figure out.

You know?... I agree. :D A very wise statement Rob! :) The journey is very exciting indeed. :D And keeps the hearts pumping for the art! :D That is a VERY needed thing with this art form> :D

This, of course, may not be the true market of the finished, massed produced item. Those are mostly folks who see the finished piece as their journey... adding to their collections or displays. Or even just to have a nice finished piece due to their possible lack of talent in that area. And one thing apparent, there is no lack of talent here! LOLOL. :D

As a former model builder, and collector myself, I can see both points of view.... and still get excited! LOLOL.

Bottom line... Rob... Allan, Lee, Julien, and everyone... good point my friends... very good point. And it applies to both situations. ;)

I absolutely agree with you guys. :D

Last edited:
I like both the building and the collecting. the building is for myself - the collecting is so I can engage others in wht I like - they don't "get' the building part, but they almost universally go - Wow when they see a HIC in the corner - or 20 different lightsabers, or any of the other cool stuff I have around (Falcon's, SD's, Enterprise's etc). So for me its both sides the collecting is a way of letting others enjoy what was originally just for me... I guess that's true for most artists really - although I do not think my skill is good enough to be an "artist" - I think the process is similar.

I look at the MR piece really as a comparison piece to the CC x-wing I built a LONG time ago. I'm interested to see where they are alike and different.

Jedi Dade

For those who didn't see this yet .. new pics of the X-Wing and the announcement from Bryan about the new base offered with acrylic case:

Pics (middle of page)
http://threads.rebelscum.com/showfl...&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1&vc=1

New base announced by Bryan (no price tag yet)
xwingbasedd3.jpg

Re: repainting and the effect on value.

If you are BUYING it as an investment....there are other places to put your
money for a better return.

If you repaint it, with a decent paint job,I think it would be more sought after.
You wont get rich, but you wont lose any value.

eFX site says "Sold Out." Wonder if that means they hit 1000 before time ran out last night?

Wonder how many geeks were sitting in front of their pee-cees last night punching the "Submit" button at 11:59 pm PST?

And, then there's your scratchbuilt parts set for the X-Wing from way back, Training Remote, Vipers, etc., etc. :lol

Tell us about the Mk VII, Frank :love ....this X-Wing is old news...

Wow. Im flattered you remember all that....

MARK VII Viper? What Viper?

OH..these Molds I made last night?

molds.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back