eFX TIE Fighter

Kewl! I wasn't aware they had been able to scan the one on tour yet. Looks like they did! It will be interesting to see how they handle the koolshade areas. :)

Yeah, agreed about the koolshade. I thought the tour version was a ESB though?

Last edited:
I wonder if its also 10% larger than studio scale like their X-Wing...but I still like it!:)

Last edited:
Heard it through the grapevine:

[...]they are thinking of having a 1000 edition size for all three fighters as a whole: Vader, Regular, and Interceptor. Yes, there is a Vader coming! Cost was around 600-700 for the regular Tie.

Some images posted by Shadow at Rebelscum (some weren't showing up but I've posted the links anyway in case they eventually appear :confused )

2009072334.png

200907238.png

2009072318.png

2009072319.png

2009072321.png

2009072322.png

2009072323.png

2009072324.png

2009072330.png

2009072331.png

2009072333.png

Are the masters from Steve?

Undoubtedly.
I noticed the scribe line tell last night. In Steve's new kit, there is a scribe line which was redone and the old one was incompletely filled in. (Page 93 of the Tie Fighter thread) This EFX model matches it.

The Tie Fighter model from "where science meets the imagination" which I believe people have been saying was scanned to make this model, differs from this EFX model too much to have been scanned to create what we are seeing at Comic Con.

Any comments on this?

*edit: Also the differences pointed out below are different from Steves kit. I noticed the smaller holes on the cockpit window as well but there are some other things not discussed below that are different. I have no idea where it all came from but that scribe line doesnt lie.
So a hybrid of sorts? Am I just imagining things?

Last edited:
Theres a few things that look off to me:

efxtie.png

And I for one would definately go for the ILM studio pilot on a piece like this!

But overall Im liking it.

Undoubtedly.
I noticed the scribe line tell last night. In the Steve's new kit, there is a scribe line which was redone and the old one was incompletely filled in. (Page 93 of the Tie Fighter thread) This EFX model matches it.

The Tie Fighter model from "where science meets the imagination" which I believe people have been saying was scanned to make this model, differs from this EFX model too much to have been scanned to create what we are seeing at Comic Con.

Any comments on this?

Well the pics Ive seen from that expo isnt a ANH, so if there arent more then one TIE, it cant be that one.

Yeah, agreed about the koolshade. I thought the tour version was a ESB though?

Other than the damaged wing ANH TIE that was recently sold for a very large amount, Gene K (GKvfx) recently informed me that none of the other ANH TIES survived the cannibalism's and re-do's for the other movies. I think I understood him right... we were speaking of something else when that came across quickly through our conversation. ;)

If everybody will remember, Bryan said that the only reason they scanned the Interceptor first was because that was the only TIE up at the archives when they went there to scan other pieces. While I don't think they had a particular release order in mind, they did have an opportunity to get info on a potential future release - so they took it. That was mis-interpreted by some to mean that the Interceptor was the next one on deck.

Obviously, the eFX elves were working on both versions while we were all posting here.

I have a Neisen TIE with an approximation of Koolshade. With some paint, it's appearance is more than satisfactory.

And do we really need to nitpick a prototype that was (probably) rushed together just for ComicCon? Oh, wait, yeah, I guess that's what we do....:lol

Gene

PS - who likes what he is seeing here........

If everybody will remember, Bryan said that the only reason they scanned the Interceptor first was because that was the only TIE up at the archives when they went there to scan other pieces. While I don't think they had a particular release order in mind, they did have an opportunity to get info on a potential future release - so they took it. That was mis-interpreted by some to mean that the Interceptor was the next one on deck.

Obviously, the eFX elves were working on both versions while we were all posting here.

I have a Neisen TIE with an approximation of Koolshade. With some paint, it's appearance is more than satisfactory.

And do we really need to nitpick a prototype that was (probably) rushed together just for ComicCon? Oh, wait, yeah, I guess that's what we do....:lol

Gene

PS - who likes what he is seeing here........

I agree.... too much nitpicking most of the time in studio scale. However... this is what makes the studio scale artists unique.... to be exact in every way. :)

I like what eFX is doing! I am not a huge fan of their X-wing, but the program has learned it seems. :D I look forward to everything they release! (y)love:thumbsup

Other than the damaged wing ANH TIE that was recently sold for a very large amount, Gene K (GKvfx) recently informed me that none of the other ANH TIES survived the cannibalism's and re-do's for the other movies. I think I understood him right... we were speaking of something else when that came across quickly through our conversation. ;)

Yeah, I think that had come up in discussion before that the various tour pieces may not be the best references after all, since there was a tendency to cannibalize parts to make better looking ships for whatever purpose was at hand. And if something had to be worked up for a tour, it might be a result of the the best 'parts' found in the archives at the time. Since Edlund's TIE sat in a box for 30 years, it probably was never molested.

Gene

Oh, Im liking it. ANd I like eFX releases. But maybe its a good thing if ppl point out small details that perhaps can be corrected now before starting the production?

I wonder where the pictures of a ANH TIE wing in the Sculpting a galaxie comes from. Old picture of a later destroyed model perhaps?

The wings and guns are ANH on the eFX pics above anyhow. If its scanned, well there ought to be of a ANH right?

Last edited:
The problem is that to really tell you need to place it next to the real part or something of good size reference etc. Most fo the time we see carefully selected and set up pics. which while very nice peasign to the eye and good for marketing are NOT the best refence. the real critiques come after the end product is in the hands of people that examine it form ever angle and comapre it to what its known to look like... the only way for them to get the kind of critique that would make a difference is to do like MR did with the falcon and have 3 or 4 builders who are obsessive with that particular subject be invovoled from the beginning. Funky electronics and varying paint weathering aside the MR Falcon IS truly awesome... the eFX X-wing is in the "very good" category, the MR Falcon... Spectacular.

Jedi Dade

Well, based on the new pics kindly posted, im still liking it, which is odd for me lol, and, i digress, if this is a hybrid Nice N TIE, kudos to Steve i say, seriously, and no im not being sarcastic :lol
If this bird gets a good polishing (were looking at a very raw proto here) im still up for this.

lee

An ANH TIE, ESB TIE, and ROTJ TIE Interceptor are scheduled for a 2010 release, Vader's Advanced x1will eventually follow. They will all feature full interiors and lighting.

Last edited:
I'm paraphrasing Shadow, who posts at Rebelscum. He's at SDCC and is relating info gathered from Bryan and Barry.

In regards to the Bomber, he only mentioned an ESB TIE! So it could very well be just the standard version. I picked up on the Bomber from others alluding to it, sorry! :$ I've changed my previous post.

Verbatim:

"I'm now editing another large batch of photos to upload today, but let me try to answer some of these questions after a conversation I had with Bryan and Barry yesterday.

Right now there are three Ties that are going to be released tentatively early 2010, ANH Tie, ESB Tie, ROTJ Tie Interceptor. The Vader Tie is being worked on for later and will be a fourth release. Always in motion is the future so the targeted ballpark figure for these is well under 1K each, so the earlier estimates may come true. They will be releasing the first three Ties in the same general time frame, but probably staggered because of the capacity of their factory.

The Ties will have lighting, interiors and some cool lighting features to compliment them. (If someone doesn’t like the lighting, don’t turn them on. I think the rest of us will really love what they have in mind.)

The stands for these are being shown as the same oval base as the X-Wing simply because that is what they have available at the moment for the show. The final base design is still under discussion, so a rectangular cover ready base like the MR Falcons is still possible, but they are sure they won’t be shipping the acrylic covers themselves. Too many potential issues with quality, breakage and cost with an acrylic cover that users could supply themselves if the supplied base accommodates it. The base issue is a future discussion for now though and they know our concerns, they just need to get the models done right first."

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back