EFX Mark IX Science tricorder

I'm curious. It seems there are a few units that will be sent back for cosmetic issues. What happens to those once returned? Do they just have a 'scratch and dent sale'?

Thanks for the help everyone - I'll see what turns up at Play.com although from memory, their packaging leaves a lot to be desired.:wacko

I'm curious. It seems there are a few units that will be sent back for cosmetic issues. What happens to those once returned? Do they just have a 'scratch and dent sale'?

I love mine, but I did notice that there are some "scratches" on the labels, probably from the person affixing them using his nail to push down on it.

Yes, I'm super anal like most of you here, but EVERYTHING else about the tricorder is so amazing that it really isn't worth the time or hassle to exchange. :)

I'm waiting to hear back from EFX customer service. Unfortunately the paint came off on some of the hinges on mine :thumbsdown. Hopefully it'll be ok.

Thats going to happen...its a painted hinge. Best way to prevent that would be to never open the Tricorder. I dont mean to be an ass, and I too am really critical (ask ANYONE who has worked on a prop project with me), but some of the little things people have been nitpicking about are superfluous. This product is a great bang for the buck. I realize that $350-$400 isnt "cheap" but remember that before this option was available most of us would have had to pay at least twice that for someone to hand build a replica.

Ive asked about that myself. Its my understanding that those units are destroyed. The replacement Tricorders were set aside because, as with any production run, there are defective units and other issues that warrant exchange. I gotta admit, I was hoping for less expensive "seconds" but those defective/returned units are not available for sale. Also, to put those defective units back out in the market place would put eFX on the hook for warranty issues, get CBS's attention when it comes to their cut, and ultimately peeve all off us off because it would increase the edition size.

Thanks for the vid Kertraz!
Thanks for the comparison pics and vid, Kertraz!

You are quite welcome.

Last edited:
I also want to say how taken I am with Bryan. He seems to continue to go above and beyond to keep us all happy. Having a name and face to the company is great, and having his voice and open communication on the forums is a unique opportunity for us. I think that more than marketing or pushing for good customer service on a new license and product line, it shows that he runs his company with honesty and integrity. I hope this is a successful license for eFX and I am very excited to see what they will do next (even though I have a good idea :cool) I know you read all this mumbo-jumbo Bryan so I just wanted to thank you again.

Couldn't agree more. Having someone to message and who actually replies is great, and makes me consider buying from them again in the future. :)

I agree about Bryan and eFX completely, he has been great to deal with and seems to go out of his way to help us. When MR first started, Steve was like that too. I remember all the times he posted on ASAP about our complaints and questions about the TOS Phaser and Communicator. But, once he got pushed aside by the bean counters, that all changed.

Ive asked about that myself. Its my understanding that those units are destroyed...

:eekNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Don't get me wrong, I get it from a business side but still... such a shame to have those in the garbage!!! Such great work with minor defects would gladly be purchased I'm sure... even with a zero warranty policy!
Oh well... I just have to keep hoping there are some left once I get the money up.

Hi All!

I have been getting a lot of emails in regards to the returned units. I would like to make it clear that these units are NOT for sale. We will not sell these units as "seconds" or at a discount. We have established an editions size and that will be the number that are out there. If we were to sell these defective units, that would theoretically increase the edition size, even though they do not have plaques.

thanks for your understanding. . .

Bryan

Last edited:
So my unit shipped via FedEx and was originally scheduled to be delivered today. Following the tracking number, it appears now the package is with the Post Office and will take another day or two to arrive.

'Just curious if anyone else has experienced FedEx turning over packages to the Post Office delivery? I've never had this happen before, and it seems a little strange. Not to mention it moved my delivery date.

Sean

I HATE me some fedex, or at least in my area, I live in a gated condo and they always say that they can't get in, even though ups has never had a prolem, sometimes they drop the packages off at ups witch is litterally across the street and have them deliver it, damn fedex!

Yeah. Mine has been shipped this way also. Basically, when you get their super saver shipping... which was still outrageous if you ask me... they pick up the package for you, generate a tracking number and then just give it to the post office to ship. I'm sure it would have been cheaper just to go through the post office, but warehouses typically ship using Fedex and UPS.

Basically, I think the tracking information given by Fedex at that point is useless as I see no way they can track it.

So my unit shipped via FedEx and was originally scheduled to be delivered today. Following the tracking number, it appears now the package is with the Post Office and will take another day or two to arrive.

'Just curious if anyone else has experienced FedEx turning over packages to the Post Office delivery? I've never had this happen before, and it seems a little strange. Not to mention it moved my delivery date.

Sean

Fedex and UPS both now use the USPS for the 'last mile' of delivery in many cases. USPS is required to provide service to every household in the country, even if you live in East Bum****, Alaska, while courier services are not, so it's just cheaper for other carriers to dump it on the postal service if the final destination is off their usual routes, for example.

Well luckily the Post Office was able to get the tricorder to my house today! #441 has arrived! I have to echo a lot of what's already been said.

I think the piece was very well done. It's incredibly heavy, and I don't even have any batteries in it yet (I thought I had some AAAs around, but apparently I was wrong). The finish is very nice, and the packaging is fantastic. 'Can't wait to get some batteries and light her up!

My compliments to eFx! Now let's see some Mark VII tricorders!!!

Sean

Guys, sorry for going off-topic, but could anyone answer this for me?

I've had mine almost a week now, and this thing seems to eat batteries. No surprise, so I started looking for some good (Duracell) rechargeables. Before I ordered them, I decided to check the manual for any warnings and sure enough, it recommends you 'DO NOT' use them. Could anyone explain why, because I'd really like to save the money. lol

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back