eagle kit info

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by boatbuilder1, Oct 28, 2002.

1. boatbuilder1

boatbuilder1 Well-Known Member

is there an eagle thread already started? I am looking for kit info and would also like to contribute what I can

2. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

I believe there is 3 or 4 Eagle threads so far. One for each scale...

Tim

3. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think by "kit info" he means donor parts on the original studio models. I'm not aware of an existing thread getting too much into that aspect.

4. Spellbinder99

Spellbinder99 Well-Known Member

So far there has not bee a list of the Studio Scale Eagle kit parts, but it would be usefull.
    So far I have this.

Airfix 1/72 B-29
    Airfix 1/144 Saturn V
    Revell 1/24 Gemini

Cheers

Tony

5. wasili

wasili Sr Member

mr. Kitbasher says the following in the Sadcrawler parts thread:

"It has been proven however, that the parts from the railgun kits were in fact used on Space:1999 miniatures, which predate ANH models by a year or two. "

Maybe it's a start. I have quite a number of pics of the eagles, i'll start scanning.

6. wasili

wasili Sr Member

i mean scanning the pics for parts ;-|

7. boatbuilder1

thanks all
    I have this
    airfix 1/144 saturn v
    tamiya 8 rad
    airfix 1/72 b 29
    revell gemini
    and both rail guns

8. Spellbinder99

New addition.

Airfix 1/24 P-51D Mustang.
    Merlin engine block halves, instrument panel and bomb halves are all see as detail parts on the walkway surfaces on the #1 44" Eagle model.

Cheers

Tony

9. boatbuilder1

ya beat me to it I was just able to dig out my p51 oh well thanks
    any ideas on the pods as far as what wood would be (pun not intended) good for them I had grand ideas of making them from plexi with a bras frame work inside but afraid it would still sag over time
    I thought of oak but way to expensive for that size peice pine is too easily warped , alittle help please

ideas suggestions
    just found these kits on #2
    bandai 1/24 king tiger
    airfix 1/24 hawker harrier
    airfix1/72 b 29 bomber
    tamiya 1/12 john player special
    bandai 1/48 hetzer(kagdpanzer)
    a repilca built by martin bower has a 1/43 tnt exterior post trailer bottom on one side of the walkways

this is getting interesting now

10. Spellbinder99

I can see the 1/24 King Tiger engine panel, though I thought it MIGHT be the Panther ( I really don't know much about tanks), but what parts of the B-29 are on the #2? I know there are at least 5 of the engine cowlings to be seen on the underside of the platforms between the walkways and the leg pods on the #1 model.

Apparently the wood of choice is a type called jetulong? The article about the restoration of the #1 Eagle says that is what the pods are made of.

I have the Airfix B-29 and 3 Saturn V's in hand with another 4 in the mail from the UK, so I have a start on the detail parts. I also have the Airfix 1/24 P-51 for the above mentioned parts. I suppose some sort of map of the walkways would help to identify the parts found and still to be identified.

Cheers

Tony

11. boatbuilder1

on the top of one of the walkways is the a gun shroud it is a circular dome with a notch in it

12. boatbuilder1

I was wondering if anyone has id'd the tank suspension parts on top of the walkways I beleive they are 1/35 british maybe chieftan but not 100% sure

sorry I am talking about #2 eagle

13. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

Yep. The Tamiya Chieftain MK 5. The same part is also n the back ot the ATAT.

Tim

14. Mycroft Holmes

Mycroft Holmes Well-Known Member

15. boatbuilder1

so you are saying mark that the suspension parts on the top of the walkways are not cheiftan parts?
    and the exhaust parts on the sides of the front walkway are from the 1/25 jagdpanther ? I thought bandai 1/24 king tiger a close seconds in my opinion and yes the * m 60 is toooooooo * expensive but hey I got lucky and picked one up for under 200.00 ouch ouch don't hit me

sorry but sometimes it pays to watch ebay until the weeeeeeeee hours of themorning

chuck

16. Mycroft Holmes

I didn't say the Chieftain parts were not used. I said I was talking about the Jadgpanther so as not to get it confused with the Chieftain [​IMG]

FYI, the layout and details of the Bandai King Tiger, Jadgpanther and Panther are not that close to the Tamiya kit.

I picked up another M60, but it was the vaiant A1, for a less amount. I needed two anyways and I wanted to have at least one of each 1/24 Bandai kit so I could see what was and was not used on Star Wars and Galactica models. The Hummel was a steal at $100.00. The re-issue is WAY more.

17. Chris Martin

Chris Martin Well-Known Member

18. Mycroft Holmes

The moon bus was used on the Ultra Probe. The SR-N 3 was used on one of them. I have to go look and see what.

If you think that's good you should see my Apogee list [​IMG]
    That's one I can't let out. Too many people involved with it and I had to swear a blood oath.

Mark

19. Chris Martin

20. boatbuilder1

hey thanks mark sorry for the confusion I had a bad day at black rock ............old spencer tracy movie

thanks for the kit info I didn't even think tamiya large scale I imediatly thought bandai I need to widen mu thinking
    young minds fresh ideas

21. Mycroft Holmes

22. eimb1999

eimb1999 Well-Known Member

Hi Mark.

I've been trying to contact you but for some reason your current email doesn't seem to be working so I'm contacting you via the forum. Chris Trice has asked me to ask you for the return of his mould (which you mention above) as this was only ever intended for your own personal use and not for making copies for anyone else. I apologise for having to do this publicly but it was the only way I knew to get in contact with you as I'm sure you're keen to avoid any bad feelings. I'm not certain how he would feel if he knew you published the list of kit parts he gave you either.

EjIMBo

23. Mycroft Holmes

24. BrundelFly

BrundelFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My friends,

That was the most pathetic display of juvenile behavior I have seen in a while on these boards.

This is a SHARING of info board. We dont need a flame war.
    You wanna cause trouble? Go some place else or shut the F up.

Also, be sure too:

1) Get your facts straight.
    2) Handle it off line.

Now..back to MODELING!!

Oh..and,,,Millineum Group. I have known him for years...and know EXACTLY how much work he has put into this. Not that you need defending...but Im first on the list.

25. eimb1999

edited as per request

26. eimb1999

edited as per request

27. Mycroft Holmes

28. Mycroft Holmes

29. eimb1999

Edited as per request

30. Chris Martin

31. Grant

Grant New Member

32. Mycroft Holmes

33. Mycroft Holmes

34. Grant

Grant New Member

35. Boba Flint

Boba Flint Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This thread is degenerating fast. If anyone has any more issues take it to PMs or email each other.

Consider this a general warning.

36. Spellbinder99

To regress back to the original question, can anyone state, or give general directions to which kits are used on the 44" Eagle replicas?
    I had allready assumed that the 1/24 Jagdpanther engine vents were what is seen on the sides of the #2 44" walkway walls. Given that I am currently building the Replicas Unlimited 22-23" Eagle, would a 1/48th Panther kit supply engine vents that would be close enough to replicate them at half the scale? I have seen a few around town in that scale, so I am wondering whether they would be a good purchase?

Similarily, if I choose to do the #1 44" in the smaller 22"size, I was thinking the 1/144 engine cowls off one of the currently available 1/144 B-29 kits would make good detailing pieces for the underside.

Though the detailing on the 22" models varied from that of the 44" ones, I am still disposed towards replicating the detailing of one of the larger models in a smaller scale.

Though I may try some of the other 1999 models at a later date, especially a laser tank should I come across a 1/25th scale Cheiftan, my current focus is on 44" and 22" studio scale Eagle models

Cheers

Tony

37. eimb1999

Hi Spellbinder!

The best way to think of it is this, but admittedly this info is pretty much "common knowledge" so I'm not giving any secrets away here...

The detailing on the Eagles is mainly Revell 1/24th scale Gemini and 1/144th scale Airfix Sat.V. for both the #1 and #2 models. When you have these two kits, everything falls into place. The only really important kitbashing to get right is the shoulder pods, as they are the only prominent areas where correct kitbashing is necessary. The rest is pretty much irrelevant or can be fudged. The nice thing is, you can use the kit bits from the 1/48th scale Gemini kit for detailing a 22" Eagle!

In my opinion, I wouldn't worry about the detailing on the interior boxes within the cages, as the detailing was quite horrible in all cases as done on the original models. The detailing varied on all models and was even changed several times throughout the series. For a display model just make up your own detailing, as if you take your time you can make something up that would make mores sense and look less like obvious kit parts stuck on at random.

The best source of info on the detailing on the #1 model can be found on my own web site. Head on over to www.smallartworks.ca and click on the "Articles" section. Then click on the article that describes the Eagle Restoration by David Sisson. There are plenty of photographs (something like sixty!) that will help you understand how the Eagle goes together. As far as the Laser Tank goes, you can see one I built on my Gallery page. It was done "studio scale".

EjIMBo.

38. Chris Martin

39. Chris Martin

40. Mycroft Holmes

41. Mycroft Holmes

Double posted by mistake, sorry.

Mark

42. Grant

Grant New Member

Hmm.

Well, I wanted an answer, and now I have it. Mark, I must
    say that after reviewing all the info sent to me by yourself,
    and Chris Trice ... that Chris clearly isn't the one who
    made the serious lapses in judgement.

It's too bad that things ended the way they did. [​IMG]

43. Boba Flint

Boba Flint Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
    the millennium group wrote:
    <HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>

Now, with that said, didn't the boba_flint ask this to be conducted through PM's or e-mail?

Mark
    </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

You are correct. However I was contacted by Chris, and after putting some thought into it I felt since his name was brought up it should only be fair for him to address his feelings on the board.
    He has said his peace and everyone knows that they can get in touch with each other through PMs.
    As I've told a cople of people we have have a good track record here of agruments, misuderstandings, and disputes being worked out in a mature manner. I hope this continues.

Now get back to disscussing the Eagle!!!!!!! [​IMG]

44. Chris Martin

45. Spellbinder99

Jim, thanks for the input on the detailing questions. I have allready consulted the excellant pictures in the article on restoring the #1 Eagle on your site, they certainly have spurred me on to chase up detailing parts for a 44" model.

I agree for the most part that it is not important that the detailing inside the cages be slavishly followed, but I do want to approximate it at a minimum where possible. The thing that bugged me about the AB Models 44" Eagle kit was the VERY generic detailing in those area, and I promised myself that should I attempt this project I would at least try to get it closer.
    The economics of getting an exact replication would preclude doing so for a large part, but stratchbuilding comparable detailshould be doable where the original parts are not available.
    Some of the details DO look very fitting IMHO, such as the allready mentioned Panther engine decking sections on the #2 Eagle.

To that end, I found a 1/25 scale Jagdpanther kit in my local store today for the equivalent of $40 US. It is made by Academy Minicraft, with a mold date of 1986 and is equipped with parts to set it up for a provided wire remote control. Can anyone clarify whether this has any relationship to the allready mentioned Tamiya 1/25 Jagdpanther kit? Posibly a licensed reissue of the same?

Cheers

Tony

46. BrundelFly

BrundelFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Tony,
    You are a beacon of light in chaos.
    You speak of MODEL BUILDING! CHEERS!!

Its about Model building folks! A HOBBY!! Not a "SECRET SECRET Psycho Drama"

Jeez..I though the PROP builders were a bunch of freaks.

My statements apply to those who express something that makes it obvious to everyone else the description applies to them!

47. Grant

Grant New Member

BrundelFly wrote:

Jeez..I though the PROP builders were a bunch of freaks.

My statements apply to those who express something that makes it obvious to everyone else the description applies to them!

????

Frank ..

I'm not sure why you're here ...apparently trying to
    inflame a thread that has been mostly civil.

48. Mycroft Holmes

Tony, I too bought that kit and the Chieftains they released. The Chieftains are okay but the Jadgpanther is off in a few areas. It would work if you don't mind the minor differences. One of them being the bolts around the hatch on the engine deck. And they seem to use some soft plastic that is not forgiving if you make a mistake. The kits are also plagued with flash.

Mark

49. Spellbinder99

Thank you for the clarification.
    As we are talking about parts I am thinking about using for the detailing inside the cages, and keeping in mind Jim's sage advice about how general the detailing can be in those area, I guess this would make an acceptable substitute then.

I merely want to make the detailing a closer match than the AB example, if I can manage that, I will be satisfied.

Would the Chieftan kit you mention make an acceptable base for the Laser Tank if I could locate one?

As allways, any advice taken into consideration.

Tony

50. eimb1999

BrundelFly wrote:

Its about Model building folks! A HOBBY!! Not a "SECRET SECRET Psycho Drama"

Hi Frank.

To many (most?) people here, yes, it's just a hobby. But to some of us it's about earning a living. I used to be one of those who just gave out info to anyone who asked, but since I've been burned by people who've used that info against me, I am now very cautious about what I let out, and then only to trusted friends. Most of the time, having that kind of information is advantageous to those of us who build models for a living and give us an edge over the competition. I don't mind competition, in fact it's healthy, but why should I help to create it?

Alas, I do understand the frustration of those of you (us) seeking information when it's obvious that someone you're talking to has it all but won't "share". I understand because I have been and still am in that position from time to time, but I have also learned that the information will come to you in time and trust. Patience and honesty is the key.

Twenty five years it took me to make the proper contacts and gather the information that now allows me to build a perfectly accurate Eagle (only to discover that in some cases the information is too much or not necessary, such as the interior box detailing!), but there are plenty of other models I wish to build and I do not yet have the information. I am confident that it will come in time. Mostly though, I make sure that I hold very rigidly to the agreements I have made with my contacts, and consider these agreements to be my "prime directive" if you will. If I'm told to keep my mouth shut, that's what I do. Some info I've been told not even to share with my closest friends, and I honor that request.

Some people who seem gratious and generous in giving out information are actually giving out that which they were told to keep to themselves. Those people, unfortunately, end up burning their bridges and become outcasts in the very small, closely knit community of people who originally did the research. Those are the people who end up ruining it for everybody in an effort to show off to the general public.

Frank, I have seen the Star Wars "Seeker Ball" for example, that you built/helped build (I forget which, but I know your name was mentioned as a source of info at least). Truly great work and I'd love to have all the info to build one myself, but let's pretend you were making them for a living. Would you still want to give away all the information that you worked years for so that others could go into competition with you and possibly result in your losing business? You'd be best to keep it to yourself I'd think.

Well, that's all it's about. Eventually, we do find the info we need after a lot of hard work and/or making the right contacts. It's important though that when we make these contacts we respect their privacy and honour their wishes to keep it secret. It's not about paranoia, it's about protecting your interests and the interests of those kind enough to share their info with you.

Some people should learn from that. It would be better for everyone.

EjIMBo.