Dwarven Warrior of Erebor (Phase 1 complete) - The Hobbit

Re: Dwarven Warrior of Erebor - The Hobbit

Torso finished (except little boar plates on the shoulders)
The hip and cod armor has been attached. Next up: Shoulders ! But I'm almost out of worbla and crafting foam

Armor_22.jpgArmor_23.jpg

Hip armor closeup
Armor_24.jpg

How exactly does one "hammer" wood glue???? The effect is absolutely amazing..

How exactly does one "hammer" wood glue???? The effect is absolutely amazing..
I have to admit this might be the wrong term. I adapted it from guitar playing where you "hammer on" a string with your finger. You do the same with the brush when applying the wood glue. Instead of the usual sweep motion to distribute the glue, you dab the glue with your brush but quite hard. It's like beating up your armor piece with a brush.

I have to admit this might be the wrong term. I adapted it from guitar playing where you "hammer on" a string with your finger. You do the same with the brush when applying the wood glue. Instead of the usual sweep motion to distribute the glue, you dab the glue with your brush but quite hard. It's like beating up your armor piece with a brush.

Ok that makes a lot more sense, i was taking the hammering part too literally lol.

Your build looks amazing, great work, can't wait to see what it looks like when it is finished!

I've been lazy lately, oh man ! And i got a new bike so I rode that all day because Triumph still needs you to break the bike in.
Anyways, I'm working on the shoulders right now:
shoulders_01.jpgshoulders_02.jpgshoulders_03.jpg

So, what are you doing exactly for the small detailed lines on your armor, are you using small strips of Worbla or something else for them?

So, what are you doing exactly for the small detailed lines on your armor, are you using small strips of Worbla or something else for them?
I tried using worbla first, but it took forever and the worbla became uncontrollable sometimes leaving the details too sloppy or missing the sharpness of the dwarven design.
There are people out there who do amazing detail work with worbla, I am not one of them. But fellow member Eloquiell had this amazing idea to use a "3D pen" for kids for the small knot-work and it works perfectly. I apply it on top of the first layer of wood glue so it still pops out when the second layer and acrylic paint has been applied.

Something like these, kids can make their own shirt designs with. Just not the glitter ones, unless you're feeling fabulous

Last edited by a moderator:

I tried using worbla first, but it took forever and the worbla became uncontrollable sometimes leaving the details too sloppy or missing the sharpness of the dwarven design.
There are people out there who do amazing detail work with worbla, I am not one of them. But fellow member @Eloquiell had this amazing idea to use a "3D pen" for kids for the small knot-work and it works perfectly. I apply it on top of the first layer of wood glue so it still pops out when the second layer and acrylic paint has been applied.

Something like these, kids can make their own shirt designs with. Just not the glitter ones, unless you're feeling fabulous

Ah alright that makes sense, It looks amazing, that is some great quality work I look forward to seeing it in its entirety. :)

Right shoulder finished and strapped to the torso pieces. Time for a new test fit. Tunic will be replaced eventually and the torso will be closed by the belt.

I'm quite satisfied with the result, the proportions kinda look dwarvish if you don't focus on my mug or tiny hand (removed those parts in the last pic)
testfit_01.jpgtestfit_02.jpgtestfit_03.jpg

The proportions are looking really good! I love seeing everything coming together.

Slowgress ! Left shoulder is almost ready for painting and the belt base is ready as well
armor_25.jpgarmor_26.jpgarmor_27.jpg

Here's my pattern for the belt buckle. Still not sure wether I should use layers of 2mm EVA or make a solid buckle from polymer clay
armor_28.jpg

UPDATE
Started doing the beard and hair today. I can honestly say I have never felt more like a creep than today.
helmet_01.jpg
This is the result after 2 hours of untangling and desperatly trying to make the different hair pieces to blend. Horrible and I don't know how to keep them together at the top. I put some E6000 on top of the beard piece and rubbed it in so the hair sticks to the glue. Not sure if that'll work.
Any advise here ?
helmet_02.jpg

Last edited:

Managed to get the beard fixed. I curled up some of the hair and hit it with my heat gun. Made them melt and stick together. This is the beard attached to my head harness:
(pink hair tie not part of the costume)
helmet_03.jpg

And here's the belt. I nearly freaked out trying to figure out how the straps are done in the movie. I ended up with this. It's ...something
Armor_29.jpg

After two weeks of doing carpenting work for our reenactment group, I'm back on the dwarf and almost done with all the little details on the helmet's dome
helmet_05.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back