Dwarven Warrior of Erebor (Phase 1 complete) - The Hobbit

FrontaLittle

Khazad Dum has do be taken back from those rotten orcs. The halls of Durin are ours. Baruk Khazad ! Khazad ai menu !

There already are a some pretty impressive builds of Moria Battle armor but I want to resemble the physique of an actual dwarf. I'm gonna build a fat suit similar to the ones used in the "Hobbit" movies and measure the entire armor around that suit.

Started with the calves:
calves02.jpgcalves03.jpgcalves06.jpg

Another detail are the dwarves' boots. Quite large boots according to BTS pics, way to large to buy them, so I have to make them myself.
Here's what I got so far. I'm not done with stiching, the sole is missing and the whole boot needs proper padding inside.
prototype_01.jpgprototype_03.jpg
boot_01.jpgboot_02.jpgboot_03.jpgboot_04.jpg

Scale test with fatsuit calf
boot_05.jpgboot_06.jpg

A lot of work ahead but winter is coming. I have plenty of time for this

UPDATE: Phase 1 complete
dwarf_01.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Dwarven Warrior of Moria - The Hobbit

I love this idea! Glad you're posting in progress and I look forward to following it.

Done sewing the right boot. Sole and heel added. Still waiting for nails to additionally affix the sole to the boot and give it a little more friction. Heel will be trimmed once the nails are done.
Padding added but needs some more adjustments so the boot doesn't look too long compared to where the leg starts.
The side gaps will be held in place by the shin armor eventually, for now I took this leather cord to keep everything in place.

boot_07.jpgboot_08.jpgboot_09.jpg

That's awesome that you made your boots! I am in the process of making Thorin and I haven't decided if I want to buy a huge boot or make it. I look forward to watching you make your costume!

Almost done with the boots, but I need to work on the padding. Walking feels okay but I could do better. Here's the result without the fatsuit parts:
boot_10.jpgboot_11.jpgboot_12.jpg

Also started working on the chest part of the fatsuit
torso01.jpgtorso02.jpg

Fatsuit is almost done, here's the torso and upper arms
torso03.jpg
Calves, thighs and belly are done as well, but I ran out of white elastics and without the harness holding everything together I can't take a good pic of the whole thing.

Also worked on the first armor part, the boot caps
boot_13.jpgboot_14.jpgboot_15.jpg
I'm not really satisfied with the ornaments and still have to flatten them down with the dremel tomorrow so they don't look so round. Still don't think that's a good method for the rest of the armor.

Any ideas on how to get sharper ornaments ?

Is that worbla? What tools are you using? When I was using terraflex (similar stuff) I would heat it and then use plastic sculpture tools to get the details. Takes a long time going over it may times - and sometimes I used a glue gun tip to heat it up too.

I think if I wanted it sharper I would use some sort of metal too press against it, like a knife or a spackling putty knife - something that would remain cool when it was pretty hot so that the plastic wouldn't stick to it as I was forming it.

I haven't done this, so test it - just saying that's what I would try if I wanted a sharper edge. :)

If that's not warbla, then nvm :D

Yep, that's worbla. Will try using some metal tools, also thought about using 2mm ABS for the details.
Thanks for the help, Guri.
Karol: the filling is poly foam. I might add some granulate or sand to the belly to give it some weight though. The fatsuits they've used in the movies along with the harness look as if the pieces were quite heavy

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatsuit is at 95%. Still need to do the forearms and close the outer seams but I'll have a friend of mine help me with her sewing machine instead of doing that by hand as well.
torso04.jpgtorso05.jpgtorso06.jpg

I finished the first boot cap to check if I could achieve something close to the dwarven steel look. Decided to go with 3 layers of wood glue, black primer (duh) a major layer of drybrushed silver and a minor layer of drybrushed bronze.
boot_16.jpgboot_17.jpgboot_18.jpgboot_19.jpg

Back from vacation in wonderful Colorado and down for some anti-orc tools. Picked an axe design from Weta's arsenal but converted it to a two handed version.
Started coating the axe (wood core, EVA foam body) with the new black magic worbla.
axe_01.jpgaxe_02.jpg

My type of paint did you use for the shoe front (link)?

Done with the first shin armor but forgot to take any progess pics, sorry.
Here's one with the usual wood glue and primer layers
boot_20.jpg

And the finished shin armor attached to the boot
boot_21.jpg
Big thanks to Eloquiell who shared his knowledge on how to do the ornaments

Update after the holidays:

Boots are almost done except some bending and weathering of the leather.
boot_22.jpg

And the first glove and gauntlet base:
gloves_01.jpggloves_02.jpggloves_03.jpggloves_04.jpggloves_05.jpggloves_06.jpg

I should start working on the left gauntlet, but sewing leather is not my favourite past time activity :angry

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back