Dune 2021 Still Suit fabric sourcing

Benedictus

Hey folks! It's been really inspiring seeing everyone's builds for their still suit replicas. I'm working on my own and specifically searching for the most accurate fabric for the main body of the still suit as well as the vest. I've been searching through fabric stores online to no avail. As best as I can see from up-close hi-res display pics, the suit seems to be dot-textured fabric that's breathable for the desert location shoots- a durable polyester mesh like the fabric used in synthetic work wear gloves. As for the vest, it appears to be the underside of a 3-4mm ribbed vinyl upholstery fabric with a kind of tiny grid pattern. Here are some pics I've compiled. I do apologize for not providing the source photographer's names as I've been searching for hours/days, and lost track. If the pics are yours, please let me know.
Screenshot_20211022_092026_com.google.android.youtube_edit_342802063561753.jpg
Screenshot_20211022_091453_com.google.android.youtube_edit_345455393365515.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211022_091757_com.google.android.youtube_edit_313335596223541.jpg
    Screenshot_20211022_091757_com.google.android.youtube_edit_313335596223541.jpg
    1,019.3 KB · Views: 259
In case you have not seen this article.

"What we did was create a bodysuit out of five or six layers of what we called a “micro sandwich” of fabric. It’s not unlike some of fabric that Under Armour uses to wick water away from the body when football players wear it under their football padding. We selected a beautiful Japanese fabric that would wick water from the body and then it would kind of cool the body when the moisture hit the air of Jordan, through a mesh system of cotton, nylon and acrylic. When there was a breeze in the desert, there was a cooling effect on the wearer — and the actors said it really worked."

In case you have not seen this article.

"What we did was create a bodysuit out of five or six layers of what we called a “micro sandwich” of fabric. It’s not unlike some of fabric that Under Armour uses to wick water away from the body when football players wear it under their football padding. We selected a beautiful Japanese fabric that would wick water from the body and then it would kind of cool the body when the moisture hit the air of Jordan, through a mesh system of cotton, nylon and acrylic. When there was a breeze in the desert, there was a cooling effect on the wearer — and the actors said it really worked."
Oh wow! I missed that. Shoot. Well like many great costumes, it seems the fabric(s) were special ordered. Hmm. I'll search Japanese sources. Maybe just maybe if they're found, a group bulk order can be made,

That's the underlayer they're referring to I'm pretty sure. XavNZ92 got in touch with someone who helped sew the suits I believe, and they confirmed that it is a dot-textured fabric of some type. I haven't found an exact match (those dots are very small and close together) but I've been discussing having it made with some cloth manufacturers in China.

That's the underlayer they're referring to I'm pretty sure. XavNZ92 got in touch with someone who helped sew the suits I believe, and they confirmed that it is a dot-textured fabric of some type. I haven't found an exact match (those dots are very small and close together) but I've been discussing having it made with some cloth manufacturers in China.
That's awesome! Please keep me posted. Depending on width, I'd be down to buy 4+square yards of it.

XavNZ92 can you tell me the fabrics that are a match, I wanna make a Stillsuit but I don’t care if it’s 100% accurate just wanna make one for my dad and me​

I asked Robert Morgan (head of costume Department for Dune ) this ist His Response

Thanks so much for your interest and question. It will be difficult for you to source the base fabric as it was a four-way stretch cotton that was dyed to the gray color of the suit, and then screen printed with a texture to make it appear like canvas. I will look in my photographs and see if I have a close-up image of the fabric that you might be able to replicate in some way. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help but I hope it helps in someway. I’m so glad you enjoyed the film.
I wish you the best in all your creative endeavors. Keep on creating.
My very best always.
Robert

Still cool, the closet find is Cotton Duck Canvas Charcoal for me, but I need money to make a stillsuit , Your guys research is amazing and inspiring

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back