"Dummy Sterling" E11 Build.

038-15.jpg

039-13.jpg

040-14.jpg

041-14.jpg

042-14.jpg

043-14.jpg

044-11.jpg

I used a wire hanger to place the Counter Socket and counter on while spraying. I held out the "hanger" and sprayed away. I did not get a chance to take a picture of spraying the counter and socket. So I took a picture of of it afterwards. I just placed the wire in the two holes of the plastic part of the counter and set it off to one side and place the wire into the hole of the counter holder and placed the wire through the front and back of the socket and set it on the other side. I did two coats. Left dry for two days and sprayed another two coats and let dry. The instructions on the can said to let dry for 2 hours then you can add on another coat. I let it sit for two days.
096-6.jpg

Here are some pictures of the pieces after the painting. I will be doing some touchups on the front of the counter. I will retape the front and trim it out with a "Xacto Hobby Knife" and spray again.
075-8.jpg

076-8.jpg

077-8.jpg

078-8.jpg

079-7.jpg

080-8.jpg

081-7.jpg

082-7.jpg

084-7.jpg

085-6.jpg

I saw a tip from a fellow trooper on "FISD\Whitearmor.net" of using 2 Neodymium Magnets 1 x 1/4 x1/16 to hold the "Power Cylinders" in place. I like this. In case if I am going to show my "Dummy Sterling" at an event, I ilike the idea of being able to remove the "Power Cylinders" for transport.
I bought a set of two "Neodymium Magnets" for $ 4.98 US on Ebay. It came in a small box. I found out that they are strong and they hold strong. I have place a US Dime currency allong with a measuring tape for reference. Also, I placed the magnets on the Mag houser as reference as how the will be holding the 'Power Cylinders".
074-8.jpg

068-8.jpg

069-8.jpg

070-8.jpg

071-8.jpg

072-8.jpg

073-8.jpg

After doing some touch ups on the front of the Counter and on the underside of the "Power Cylinders". I decided to assemble the pieces and see how it looks. I put the front plastic onto the counter and screwed it into place. I place the Counter into the Socket. I screwed the Counter back into place under the "Scope Rail" I placed the "Scope Rail" on the "Dummy\Deactivated Sterling" and locked it into place with the "Hex Bolt". I placed the two Magnets on the "Mag House" and set the "Power Cylinders" on top of the 2 Neodymium Magnets. I set the Counter on the Counter Holder and took some pictures to share. I place the "Dummy\Deactivated Sterling" on top of some "Ziplock Boxes" for holding the build in place for picture taking.
How does it look so far?
001-23.jpg

002-23.jpg

006-21.jpg

007-21.jpg

008-20.jpg

009-19.jpg

010-20.jpg

011-19.jpg

012-19.jpg

013-18.jpg

Looking good man! Glad to see you didn't fall into the targeting cylinder trap, ie; puting them on angled to the barrel instead of parallel.

So, before you bash your head on a wall over how to do the T-Tracks, like I did on my first E-11 all those eons ago, I'm going to impart my great and powerfull wisdom unto you :lol

Get a block of wood, 2"x4" will be fine.
Drill a hole in it, matching the size of the Sterlings vents, about 1/2" deep.
Light a candle, have gloves on.
LIGHTLY wave the T-Track end over the candle.
Put the now heated end in the hole and bend it using your gloved hand.
Prest'o Change'o, bent T-Track that will fit.

This DOES take some practice so if you have an extra piece use it a few time to get the hang of it. End result is very uniform so all the tracks look the same.

Good luck!:thumbsup

Glad to see you didn't fall into the targeting cylinder trap, ie; puting them on angled to the barrel instead of parallel.

How is this a trap?

Actually, you can position them parallel or angled and have it be screen acurate. See below;

Parallel positioning.
41.png

50.png

71.png

Angled.

08.jpg

25.png

29.png

13.jpg

And these almost appear to be angled AWAY from the blaster.
26.png

Also, I hear these referred to as targeting cylinders quite often. Has this been confirmed by someone who worked on the film, or is it just assumed?

Hope this helps:)

Robert

How is this a trap?

Actually, you can position them parallel or angled and have it be screen acurate. See below;

Parallel positioning.

25.png

Also, I hear these referred to as targeting cylinders quite often. Has this been confirmed by someone who worked on the film, or is it just assumed?

Hope this helps:)

Robert

The traps sprung when you watch the movies, see a single close up and then "that's" the one you follow, even though there are other "types" shown. My father and I had the good fortune years ago to talk to a few of the people involved with the E-11's on ANH. As I remember the parts they said were used were grabed from all maner of sources including a Army/Navy Surplus store. Inconsistancy in the scopes, because they just grabed what was there, is the most common. Look at your picture, one the left a M38, on the right a M19. The one on the left is a dummy/prop (No Hengstler and a wood block jamed into the end of the ammo magazine) while on the right you can see the Hengstler is there by looking under the scope rail and the Bolt is a real one.
However, the incosistancy in their building makes it very easy for builders to decide what "version" they want. A "Luke Skywalker" is diferent then a "Han Solo"....if you know what to look for.

Exactly. And you can go with any of the MANY versions shown on screen and still be accurate. Han, Luke, M38, M19, with hengstler AND cylinders, cylinders and no hengstler, cylinders parallel, cylinders angled. Still not seeing the trap, though:)

Robert

Exactly. And you can go with any of the MANY versions shown on screen and still be accurate. Han, Luke, M38, M19, with hengstler AND cylinders, cylinders and no hengstler, cylinders parallel, cylinders angled. Still not seeing the trap, though:)

Robert

Here's where we get into the ancient and long drawn out argument of "What IS correct for an E-11?", AKA "The three-sided War".

The Sides:
1. Any Blaster shown in the films is correct and ~canon~
2. Only those E-11's shown in the films with complete pieces (M38 1942 Scope, "Eagle" Hengstler, Cylinders WITH resisters in middle) are ~canon~ because that was the way they were intended to all look.
3. Mix and match however you like, doesn't matter.

Now do you see?

Is there a thread with reference pictures and detailed info on how the E11 should look and what all the parts are meant to do ........all in one place for reference?

Well, it´s pretty easy.

1. Any Blaster shown in the films is correct and ~canon~

Off course they are.

2. Only those E-11's shown in the films with complete pieces (M38 1942 Scope, "Eagle" Hengstler, Cylinders WITH resisters in middle) are ~canon~ because that was the way they were intended to all look.

That´s the only "real" E-11 looking gun - the others are just Sterlings, but nonetheless movie-accurate.

3. Mix and match however you like, doesn't matter.

It´s everyones right to make this decision for his own stuff - but canon is what was on screen.

Well, it´s pretty easy.

Yup, you're a 3 :)

Myself...I'm a 2 (and that's why ours that we sell are the way they are), but I can accept 1's.
You 3 guys though...:behave

Seriously though, if your happy (you reading this, whoever you are) then that's all that really matters. Display it in your home with pride and be happy.

However....

YOU might like the Hengstler mounted on top of the magazine and the hot pink paint job, but don't expect 501st guys not to laugh....unless, of course, your a hot Trooper-chick. THEN its going to be all "OOHH made this yourself did you? Awesome!" :lol

Yup, you're a 3 :)

No, i´m a full 10. :love

Myself...I'm a 2 (and that's why ours that we sell are the way they are), but I can accept 1's.
You 3 guys though...:behave

You are selling .... what? Pieces of rubber for safe trooping? Or cast resin? Or modified toys?

I think you have next to no idea what you´re talking about. :lol

Let me see - old spec L2A3 (uncut, not cobbled from a part box), real Hengstler, real M38 No.7, metal cylinders in correct size on the mag, and the real transistors waiting on my bench. Granted, made with metal t-track, cause i like it better for a gun than the plastic t-track which waits on my bench, too. :D

After all your hot air - i think it´s time you show your stuff ... if you have more than a painted doopydoos. If not .... move along. :)

Seriously though, if your happy (you reading this, whoever you are) then that's all that really matters. Display it in your home with pride and be happy.

Better than running arround in public as a adult with a piece of rubber or a block of resin? I agree, having a all real parts E-11 at home is better than that. :)

YOU might like the Hengstler mounted on top of the magazine and the hot pink paint job, but don't expect 501st guys not to laugh....unless, of course, your a hot Trooper-chick. THEN its going to be all "OOHH made this yourself did you? Awesome!" :lol

I don´t know what drugs you use ..... but i want some of them, too, please. :cool

Standard 501 standards are pretty low, there are a lot of accepted troopers which may cause a good laugh - i know ... EIB ist better, but imho only Centurion is acceptable. But ...... "I" don´t request my opinion needs to be valid for all troopers, whatever floats their boat

The usual difference between many/most costumers, running around with "good enoughs" - and many/most prop collectors, wanting it as real as possible.

Good Lord, what happened to this thread:lol

Very, very simply it boils down tho this; Until it's been established by someone who worked on the E-11's for ANH that the "targeting sensors" are supposed to run parallel to the reciever, then any way they appear on screen can be viewed as accurate. I'm working on the simple, streamlined version Solo is holding in the pic below(although I don't have the guts to smash the trigger guard like his:lol)
E-11SoloCompare.jpg

Anyhoo, I think the OP is doing an OUTSTANDING job on his version of the E-11 and can't wait to see some more progress pics:)

Robert:)

Last edited:
Good Lord, what happened to this thread:lol

I assume the "i know it all, and the ones i sell are the best" is just a try to generate some sales. :rolleyes

Very, very simply it boils down tho this; Until it's been established by someone who worked on the E-11's for ANH that the "targeting sensors" are supposed to run parallel to the reciever, then any way they appear on screen can be viewed as accurate.

I would go even further - any way that was seen on screen (no matter if I like it) ..... is proveable screen accurate and beats whatever any original propbuilder can say/remember after this log time.

I'm working on the simple, streamlined version Solo is holding in the pic below(although I don't have the guts to smash the trigger guard like his:lol)

Put a smashed replica in the gun, and store the good trigger guard in a prop part box. ;)

Anyhoo, I think the OP is doing an OUTSTANDING job on his version of the E-11 and can't wait to see some more progress pics:)

+1 - indeed he does.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back