Duke Nukem Forever Demo Released

I don't think a duke game ever got good reviews. Plus i never listen to professional reviewers in magazines or online since they're paid to have an opinion. Even used it'll be pricey for a while. Wait until october or so when the market is flooded. I have my eye on Armored core 5 and i'm not even a fan of the earlier games. it just looks amazing. Xcom looks lame compared to the originals.
Hopefully Duke can survive but I think they put being over the top ahead of game play. I really didn't like the driving parts. Otherwise it was your basic FPS.

I dunno, as I was saying to a friend earlier, the "humor" is really sophomoric. Not that I'm opposed to that sort of thing when it's done well, and Duke has never been what you might call highbrow, but this makes beavis and butthead look like Shakespeare in comparison.

Outlander, that's some super fast service. You're lucky. I just had an order ship almost 2 weeks late. I'm going to hold off and get this used or when it's 20.00 new.

Yes. I pay about $70.00 a year to belong to something called
Amazon Prime. Everything I order enjoys free 2 day shipping
with preordered stuff arriving on the release date. It's a
pretty sweet deal because I order a LOT of stuff from Amazon..

By the way, I would say DUKE is definitely a rental.

Yea, I just watched half the game in walkthroughs and the graphics and jokes are not very good, I'm defiantly not willing to pay beyond $20 to own it.

Guess I'm making a trip to the last of the dying block busters in my city.

All the review sites I've seen are tearing this game to shreds, looks so fun though. There's an actual achievement for picking up a piece of poop from a toilet and you can throw it. I'll have to wait till the price comes down a bit, and when games get slammed like this, it takes about a month for them to drop to about $39.99.

So the old joke title of Duke Nukem Whatever sounds about right, I guess. Pity. I enjoyed it quite a bit back in the mid 90s, but then I was 18 back then. Even so, a year or two after that when Shadow Warrior (basically ninja Duke Nukem 3D) came out, I thought the humor was getting kinda stupid.

I'm surprised at how the review industry seems to be savaging this game, though. I guess 2k and 3D realms didn't grease enough palms...

From what I've seen, I'm thinking this is a $20 purchase for me. Maybe $30. I'll buy it used, I figure.

The main criticisms I've seen in reviews aren't about the looks. They're on the list, but what I keep hearing is:

- Weak/forced humor/outrageousness.

- AWFUL level design. Bad platforming sequences,tedious puzzles, etc. and far too little shooting.

- Poor mix of gameplay elements from newer games with older style content.

- Boring gameplay.

From the sound of it, the game is lackluster on levels that go well beyond just "Not pretty enough."

True. The humor does seem to be more "just thrown out there" than in the older games at least from what I've seen. It looks like they were trying to use the Duke name and history of being un PC to sell things and went way over the top.

Right. From the sound if it, they're "trying too hard" with the humor. Instead of being mildly sophomoric and irreverent, they went into "Oh just shut up already!" territory.

Two things:

1.) Apparently, some of the humor comes from Duke making fun of gaming conventions. The problem is that he then GOES AND DOES EXACTLY WHAT HE MAKES FUN OF. Like "I hate jumping puzzles." And then the next sequence is a jumping puzzle. Why not find some "Duke-like" way out of it instead of just making a doofy remark about it and then saying "No, but seriously, you have to do the puzzle to advance."

2.) Didn't Max Hazard do this all a few years ago?

1.) Apparently, some of the humor comes from Duke making fun of gaming conventions. The problem is that he then GOES AND DOES EXACTLY WHAT HE MAKES FUN OF. Like "I hate jumping puzzles." And then the next sequence is a jumping puzzle. Why not find some "Duke-like" way out of it instead of just making a doofy remark about it and then saying "No, but seriously, you have to do the puzzle to advance."
Yes

2.) Didn't Max Hazard do this all a few years ago?
Who knows, most people aren't even aware of that games existence.

I found Max Hazard on xbox live. It actually did a good job making fun of other games. I agree if anything else they should have the jumping puzzle with both the normal way to do it and since Duke hates them he gets on you for making him do it or have him find a totally over the top Duke way of getting around it. That way if you found all those you'd get an achievement like "Ultimate Duke" or something for doing it his way.

Hello Bargain Bin! I was kinda looking forward to it, but as soon as I heard platforming and puzzles...nah. That is not the Duke Nukem I remember. I'll stick with Uncharted for that stuff because Naughty Dog does it better than most.

- Weak/forced humor/outrageousness.

Yeah... the scene that really made me say "Really Duke?" was towards the beginning. You get shrunk down to toy size and find a small toy car to drive. There's a woman standing there with her son and he remarks that you look like an action figure, to which his mom replies, "I know where I'd stick him."

There's sophomoric humor, and then there's just missing the mark entirely.

Yeah... the scene that really made me say "Really Duke?" was towards the beginning. You get shrunk down to toy size and find a small toy car to drive. There's a woman standing there with her son and he remarks that you look like an action figure, to which his mom replies, "I know where I'd stick him."
^ That's Duke Humor to me, but I'm going only on Duke Nukem 3D and Time to Kill.

But the more I hear about it, the more it seems like it's less a FPS and more a RPG, it's starting to sound like a really really closed off oblivion type thing. (Driving, puzzles, it's in FP)

Duke Nukem is here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and he’s all out of ass.

Sounds about right, right guys?

Funny thing is that Duke started off as a platformer back on the PC in the 90s and you'd think they'd have gotten it right. I don't mind some puzzles and such but they seem to have been unable to make up their minds what they wanted the game to be. Even if they'd made it like Fallout 3 or Borderlands it would have been okay. I hate driving in games so that's a big hit against it. Oddly enough the Duke games on xbox live (manhattan project) is actually pretty good.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back