Dromaeosaur / Raptor Walking Dinosaur Costume Build Thread w/Pics - UPDATE 8/1/2013

Re: Dromaeosaur / Raptor Walking Dinosaur Costume Build Thread w/Pics - UPDATE 8/1/20

Some late-night fiberglassing! Still need to add some layers of reinforcement.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375878943.715778.jpg

Re: Dromaeosaur / Raptor Walking Dinosaur Costume Build Thread w/Pics - UPDATE 8/1/20

That's a crazy pic out in the dark. The fiberglass really takes on a dinosaur skin effect in the low light.

westies 14,

Hey man, great progress on your work!

just a quick question though, as we are building more or less the same raptor type suit, I would just like to ask if you will be wearing stilts? I had originally designed a pair of short stilts having had the impression that Rosengrant wore those based on the pics and vid.content_jurassic-park-raptor-suit-blog-8.jpgcontent_jurassic-park-raptor-suit-stan-winston-studio-archival-photo-dinosaur-practical-effects-.jpgcontent_jurassic-park-raptor-suit-stan-winston-studio-archival-photo-dinosaur-practical-effects-.jpg
However when I tried mine on Image1446.jpg
I was thrown in a world of ankle, knee and back pain not to mention that torture that every step took. My wife said it’s because they’re too short. Well that was the way I planned them as I did not want to end up using a pair of digitigrades hoof type stilts Day4.JPGbecause they would make the raptor legs too long. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Wow. I just found this thread. I did a search to see if any RPF'rs were doing this.

I have been inspired to try this after seeing the videos on you tube. I would post a link, but I am tapping this out on my iPad.

There, they use the "Walking with Dinosaurs" method of attaching the Dino-feet to the sides of the pilot's feet, and not try to put the pilot's feet into the dino-foot.

I had a question for westies: are you fiberglassing right onto the pink foam? I believed the two to be incompatable. Did I miss something? Nice work on the sculpt thus far.

Sorry, double post

Last edited:

However when I tried mine on I was thrown in a world of ankle, knee and back pain not to mention that torture that every step took.

Welcome to heels. :-| My only advice for you is to train yourself to wear them. Start with a short heel and work your way up. Once you can walk around in 4" or 5" heels for a while, you'll be ready for these. Seriously, they are just not fun.

This is why I went the route I did with Fauno, I was not going to do this PLUS be blind. My highest of fives to anyone who pulls off wearing these heels for any length of time.

Bayani, you can make shorter digitigrade stilts! If you're going to have your feet at that angle, you need to be able to bend your legs with it. The bungee cords on digitigrade stilts act as a tendon/return, taking some of the weight off your legs while they're bent.

Clonesix, you can put EPOXY fiberglass resin directly onto the foam. The more common polyurethane resin will eat the foam - though I was given a great tip by the guy who helped me put this coat on. He said a couple coats of latex house paint/primer on the foam will protect it just fine, and you can save a lot of money using the poly resin!

This is the first video I saw on this: I made a Velociraptor Suit by Fábio Silva - YouTube

and also this: Awesome robot dinosaur - YouTube

Both of these show a dino-foot that is attached to the side of the operator's foot. The operators legs are outside the dino legs. This means that the operator's legs need to be camouflaged.

My issue at this point is how to support the suit. My guess is a pack frame that supports the structure at the hip joint (dino's, not mine). The hip joint also needs to be the balance point between the nose and the tail. I may need to add weight to the tail for poper balance.

Another video to watch: Super Realistic Dinosaur Suit - YouTube where the operator's legs are inside the dino's legs.

a Building video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec-Neu0EKBo

Last edited:

Any progress on this? The body looks incredible!

Hey Westies! Any updates? My dino costume did not meet the deadline. Will just finish my robocop build first as it is proving to be a bit more complicated than I thought. Will be building the dino suit for mid 2014 and will post when progress has been made. Having challenges your self? Well, this is just a little post to say that we're right there with you and once you are able to resume we are eagerly awaiting your update. Your work has provided a wealth of information AND inspiration so don't let anything put you down! We're right here man!

Still waiting for a update on this most awesome project! One of THE best running topics at this time.

OMG, this is sick.... I want one...

That dino looks like one that can be purcased from China.

My question, and the reason I abandoned this idea, is: How do you transort a full size Raptor?

Very carefully :lol

I know this is an old thread, but I stumbled across a Chinese website that covers this subject pretty well, including moving and storage.

http://onlydinosaurs.com/features/walking-dinosaur-costume/#!

If you scroll down far enough, it shows the 4'X4'X10" box they ship one of those things. They also show a hanging rack that holds the dino when it is not in use.

I think that this model they built is bare bones as can be, meaning that the frame, foam and rubber, + camera, monitor, battery, and fan are what a walking dino needs. I don't think you can get by with much less or more compact.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back