Dromaeosaur / Raptor Walking Dinosaur Costume Build Thread w/Pics - UPDATE 8/1/2013

Re: Dromaeosaur / Raptor Walking Dinosaur Costume Build Thread w/Pics - 07/22/2013

Bayani, I believe you're subscribed already now by posting here. For future reference, at the top of the first post you'll see "thread tools," and "subscribe" is an option within that pulldown menu. To see the latest threads which you've posted in or subscribed to, click "Subscribed threads" underneath the main menu bar. My "subscribed threads" page is my RPF bookmark.

Re: Dromaeosaur / Raptor Walking Dinosaur Costume Build Thread w/Pics - 07/22/2013

This looks very promising! Can't wait to see future pictures of the work in progress!

impressive build! kids would love it! so would my chiropractor...

Just get the head to turn, eyes to move, and mouth to work.
The arms are so small that just having them flop around will be enough to bring life to this build.
The performance will come from the head.

Very cool build = Subscribe.

Last edited:

Wow, even at this stage it's looking amazing. I myself was wincing at the idea of wearing that thing for extended periods of time, but you seem to have that all worked out as well :thumbsup. I've always been a fan of the JP style raptors so this is just awesome. This is definitely a build I want to see once it's finished in its entirety, subscribing now :D. Good luck my friend.

Bayani, I believe you're subscribed already now by posting here. For future reference, at the top of the first post you'll see "thread tools," and "subscribe" is an option within that pulldown menu. To see the latest threads which you've posted in or subscribed to, click "Subscribed threads" underneath the main menu bar. My "subscribed threads" page is my RPF bookmark.

Thanks for the tip man, kinda new to this as I've been a lurker for some time. I was studying the Stan Winston School clip and I had thought of a way to make a neck mechanism with universal joints on both ends (one attaching to the torso and the other to the neck part) to enable the head and neck to move forward like a chicken head bobbing and likewise side to side. Also have in mind a simple cable system for the jaw/mouth all controlled by hand. I'm not an engineer and not very good with line drawings like plans but I will try to make a small scale mock prototype to demonstrate the principle. What are your plans for the neck and head movement?

I hope to be back out there today or tomorrow for a bit, but here's where I got to a couple of days ago. The body is taking shape, and he's freed from the larger block of EPS foam!

dino_2013_07_25.jpg

indie_foamdino.jpg

Re: Dromaeosaur / Raptor Walking Dinosaur Costume Build Thread w/Pics - UPDATE 07/26/

I thought they bred all of the dinosaurs to be girls?

Re: Dromaeosaur / Raptor Walking Dinosaur Costume Build Thread w/Pics - UPDATE 07/26/

Life finds a way! I actually haven't settled on a gender yet, and I toggle back and forth with my pronouns for the dino still...

Carving is very unforgiving, but you are doing it very well.:thumbsup

Thanks very much! Are you a sculptor then?

Was able to finish the mini scale mock up of the proposed head mechanism. Very crude to look at as it is made with popsicle sticks, tacks, nylon string and old straws for tube but this is just to give everyone an idea of my proposed mechanism for the dino head. Basically the mechanism will be mounted on the body support of the costume. Just my basic idea. Comments and suggestions are welcome. This shows the head and head can turn right and left, up and down and open the mouth. The small details will be coming later when I start a thread for this (and my robocop costume build). This dinosaur costume is for our upcoming math and science month this September (theme is dinosaurs and robots -- hence the dino and robocop costume). Hoping to learn more from this thread for my proposed build. Thank you.

pinoy dino costume head mechanism - YouTube

Looks great. I'd love to undertake the same project with a TRex in mind. I'm a mechanical engineer and thinking about how I could have one person operate a Rex about half the size again of what your raptor is looking like.

I just sculpt for my costumes at the moment.
I have thought about making more sculptures, and busts. I want to mold them and cant bare to cut up my sculpts.

Last edited:

are you gonna cover it with silicone eventually?

Rough carving's done - he's ready to be sanded smooth and streamlined for fiberglassing!

dino_08_01_13.jpg

Rockeagle: I won't be molding this whole dinosaur, but I will be molding the head/neck, arms, and feet. They'll likely be stone or fiberglass molds rather than silicone. The molds will be used to make skins that can be put on over the fiberglass forms.

- Doug

Re: Dromaeosaur / Raptor Walking Dinosaur Costume Build Thread w/Pics - UPDATE 8/1/20

Sanding him smooth...

dino_080213.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Dromaeosaur / Raptor Walking Dinosaur Costume Build Thread w/Pics - UPDATE 8/1/20

sysamy3y.jpg

A bit more sanding here. I'm deepening some of the lines and trying to evenly scale the skull down as I work. The whole thing will have at least a fiberglass shell and a thin skin; the head will sort of wear a thicker mask. This is kind of a cheaper, faster, and riskier way to create a core - the proper way would be sculpting first and creating my core from that sculpt's mold in a multi-step process.

Last edited:

Wow really an amazing work of art. That is beautiful

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back