Dread construction idea?

I've been pondering a good way to make sturdy dreads, and it always seemed to me that the Predator's dreads were more akin to actual dreadlocks than the "tentacles" that a solid latex dread gives the impression of.
Given the way that each individual dread meets the Predator's skull, clearly it's not a case of hair like a human being that has been put into dreadlocks in the normal way - But perhaps Predlocks are a bit like a rhino's horn in that they are composed of individual fibres that naturally bind to one another?
( It's actually possible for a rhino to injure its horn, and have it unravel and split apart! )

So has anyone ever tried getting actual hair, slathering it in isoflex or silicon, and seeing how that works?

I may do so unless it's already been proven an EPIC FAIL of an idea :(

I tried this, but only because I have a friend that always tries to be helpful and bought a cheap-o halloween rastafarian hat with some thin dreads down the back. I figured, "what the heck? why not?" The coating I used was plastidip. It ended up looking literally like a piece of poop and was not worth the effort.

I'm making my first suit coming up here and I was thinking of actually making some real dreadlocks but some really thick ones with synthetic hair packed in really really tight to avoid knotting and bunching up in weird places. I'm planning on getting a bunch of bulk hair for my out-of-suit costume anyway so, it's not like I'll be at that much of a loss if it doesn't work. I might try coating them with something else and see how that works out as well. If you're still curious, I'll let you know the results once I'm done with my experiment.

~scrapps

I have no input on your idea, but I believe Stans original concept for the dreads was that they were spines of some kind. Just in case that helps you come up with something that looks right to you.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back