Dr Grordbort's Raygun Contest entries show off thread.

Thanks for the compliments all. This was a put-up-or-shut-up build for me. Learned a lot, mostly that I won’t limit myself as much to found parts in the future. I think like a modifier to a fault. Some of the threads on the RPF have really taken the fear out of the building process for new parts. Not that I’ll stop loving a good lego-ing.

So, some have asked what parts went into the HSIBJ-EA. 95% found stuff. The design was inspired by three things:
  • Tamiya “British Green” paint: I was obsessed with that colour. No idea why.
  • Glass tube planters with metal links: I don’t know how you’d use these awkward things for planting, but they screamed “glass ammo belt” to me.
  • The main body accelerators, secondary emitter, barrel: Two vintage Bag Boy golf carriers. Love the styling. I think they were 7 bucks each, which is less than the raw tubing I would have needed.
bagboy.jpg

I had to upscale the Bison body for the glass ammo. Like I said, I never even thought of trying to make the part. The solution: two tapered ABS toilet brush holders with an MDF ring in the middle. The forward cowling is the front of a vintage Sunbeam mixer.
mixer_history_web.jpg

The rear is from another mixer, not sure of the brand. The bolt handle is a doorstop. The wood is the handle off my hobby saw. I put that on last, like I was retiring it.

The frame for the ammo holder is made from two Lazer Tag pistols.
062f55adfb62e87e_large.jpg

The edging is window screen spline. There’s some n-gauge railroad track in there for texture. The green and chrome inside the ammo are clear acrylic handles from a weird set of '70s silverware, wrapped in copper. Inside the utility springs are clear pens.

The ammo-advance gear assembly is a vintage telephone crank mounted in a sewing machine shuttle receiver. You know that feeling when two parts from completely different machines/decades fit like a glove? Eureka moment. The chrome guard is from an alarm clock. The black things are pen caps.

The front firing emitter is a track lighting fixture turned backwards. The up-scaled sensor doodad on top is a ‘70s curling iron and two sink strainers. The gauges are printouts in clock facings, the fittings that hold them are made from a Flintstones vitamin bottle. The guard on the bottom of the center band is a bracelet. The tubing is ¼’’ sprinkler fittings. The selector is from one of the mixers.

The windowed part inserted in the grip was shaped from an overly complicated bottle opener. The dial on the handle is a sewing machine tensioner.

Inside is a mess of desperate scaffolding and it’s all dressed up with styrene, wire, hot glue, and of course parts from the Bison. Because I outright replaced so much it’s definitely an “inspired by” that tries to echo the Bison elements. Between MDF, metal, and glass the thing weighs 15 pounds and it’s top-heavy. I spent more time sourcing and modifying parts than I would have building them from scratch.

Oh, and you do NOT want to know what kind of funk lives inside 40 year old mixers. :sick

Cool stuff Lurksmith, get your fingers out of the blender, you don't know where that blenders been. I hear you on the found stuff. Most of mine was also done with alot of found parts . I just don't have money for machining work even though it looks like it. I made my bipod from scratch with a drill and dremel and the metal rings were made by hand. My front lens is from my old rear projection TV, most of the front stuff are parts from the microscope lenses with some tube parts and brass bits glued on. The silver thing on the front with the tubes is one of those eyepiece turrets. The front chunk of my hand guard is a stainless lens i wrapped with a piece of brass and if you turn it around it is supposed to slide into the rear part of the handguard which is the lens body. Suprisingly the lens body holds exactly 13 glass ampules. The brass tube holsters are hose fittings from Lowes turned down, the brass knob on the bottom that says OX is the oxygen knob from a welding torch. My atom power switch is the power knob for an antique GE tube radio. The plasma balls are from ebay, the HeNe laser is an old gun laser i got from the gunshow. My chrome windows on the fin are from the B&K tester i got for the farnsworth buttons and the rear brass piece is a roller from one of those old huge dot matrix printers. Lookin back at all the entries i think most did pretty good going with found stuff with some custom parts mixed in. I also went and tried to find out what machine tools were available around the early 1900's to make sure everything i used could be made back then. I also looked at all of Teslas patents for ideas along with some of Edisons. The only thing i wanted to do that never made it is i planned on doing time machine style lens assemblies around each end of the front globes that turned in opposite directions but i was drafted into the ZF1 project and time got lost. I was pretty lucky 65% of my parts were done before i receive the bison otherwise i would never have finished.

I really think the judges over at Weta really have their work cut out for them. Each time I check in, the imagination and quality just keeps increasing at the speed of light. Can you imagine what it would've been like if all entries got in by the deadline?

The Unrighteous Ungulate...
I will throw up some WIP photos since I took some during the build.. I am in awe with what others have done.... so if we can keep the laughter to a minimum...thanks, no excuse but this is my first mod, first Ray Gun.
I was afraid to really cut up my Bison so I sorta played it safe in keeping close to the original, just adding parts to "improve" it ability.
1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
IMG_1769.jpg
IMG_1773.jpg
IMG_1774.jpg

Last edited:
I posted the others photos of my gun in the main thread, but I didn't really get to show much of the "Aetheric Grenades" I created to go along with my entry:

32_grenades.jpg

32_grenades2.jpg

32_grenades3.jpg

Thanks Alan, i just wished i had put new batteries in it.:lol They are starting to get low. It has 7- 9volt batteries powering 5 high voltage power supplies for around 40,000 volts total. It was a bear to wire. At one point i could get an arc going from the front end to my finger. :wacko These supplies do not like to be housed close together and especially in a housing covered in magnesium metalic paint.

This thread is FULL of awesomeness !

ZK, this one has me just staring at it over and over ... and over :eek

1-5.jpg

Agreed. Zombie Killer, your entry is absolutely stunning. I never tire of looking at your photos.

Some other really nice guns in here! :thumbsup

Big props to the grenades as well. Very well done.

Well, I just took some new pics in a different setting and under different (better?) lighting. I wish I'd had the prescence of mind to do this before I submitted my contest pics. These photos represent the color of the gun a bit better as it appears "in the flesh."

Anyway, enjoy...

seladang06.jpg

seladang07.jpg

seladang08.jpg

seladang09.jpg

seladang10.jpg

seladang11-1.jpg

seladang12.jpg

seladang13.jpg

seladang15.jpg

seladang16.jpg

seladang17.jpg

seladang18.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I just took some new pics in a different setting and under different (better?) lighting.
Whoa, some nice detail that I missed in the entry thread. The raised lettering and curved logo up front look great, reminiscent of something... like before the war that factory made bike frames and had to refit. And I feel like the forward grip section could almost slot into something, like it does double-duty as a vehicle mount.

No spiffy new photoset for me, but I banged out a more stable stand to get it off the workbench. You don't just set aside a topheavy 15 pounds.
003.jpg

I'm new to this as well. If anyone asks why Venusian bulkhead rusts into a pine woodgrain, question their focus on such minutia when there is still the fieldwork of cataloging and cauterizing to do.:)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back