double-studio scale size Y-Wing fighter (1/12th)

Currently spending a lot of time studying the Y-Wing's colors plus those of various other studio scale models, interesting to see how unreliable photos are when it comes to accurately reproducing the actual colors. Also working on parts for various different areas on the Y-Wing.

_DSC3350 and 3354 comparison 01.jpg

_DSC3411 comparison 01.jpg

Amazing work!

My two cents... the only way to get true color accuracy is to have the studio models in person... otherwise, it's best just to go by what you see. Modeling is an art form and doesn't need to be 100 %... In fact, you will never get 100% in trying to reproduce the studio scale color. There are too many variables that affect the outcome for you to have an exact match.

Wonderful work as usual, Andrew-san,

Oh, I second to korben 44-san.
Once I got lost in a maze of coloring.
So I sent a email to the model builder to ask the color mixing.
The recipe was pretty simple than I thought.

katsu

So true - the lighting used in the photography of whatever image you are using has such a drastic effect on the captured color its kind of crazy... But rumor has it that there are a few folks around here that have seen the models in person that may be able to lend a hand :) BUT since you're going x2 the studio model you're kind of free to paint as you wish as long as its in the realm of what its "supposed" to be who's to argue ;)

Have some fun with it!

Jedi Dade

Thank you Korben44, Katsuhiko-san and Jedi Dade!

Sorry to get back this late, am noticing I no longer get any emails informing me that there has been a reply to my post. I thought there were no responses. :D

Am about ready to purchase some paints, so I need a good idea of what to get - hence the color research. Will be making my own interpretation of the colors, but do want them to look fairly close to the originals. (Won't be following any single ILM Y-Wing for the paint scheme.)

Have also been color-correcting some photos of effects models from various franchises lately and some of the changes have been interesting. Never trust a photo!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back