Doctor Who gets a movie, and no more TV?

Yates is great.

But "Who" with no Moffat or Smith? When the show is almost a movie as it is?
And is becoming hugely popular in America?

Seems like a weird choice.

I mean, I just saw Doctor Who toys at the MALL the other day. There was a Tardis shirt at HOT TOPIC.

Bad idea IMHO. I love the show but I don't have any desire to see two totally unconnected versions of it going at the same time.

I think a movie would raise the risk of over-saturating the market. They're already tooting the Doctor Who horn a little too much as it is.

Last edited:
I just hope if they are really going to take 3 years to develop a movie reboot (gah!) that they allow the TV show to have a proper finale.

Been done before and didn't make much difference.

dr_who_and_the_daleks_1965_british.jpg

I expect it'd be treated as "non-canonical" the same way the Cushing films are. Entertaining enough, but "real" Doctor Who.

I'd like to see it as maybe a prequel to the series, maybe reintroduce his older lives since the older stuff isn't seen much.

I don't like it.

I did, however, find the following part pretty funny...

"Doctor Who" follows the adventures across space and time of a super-intelligent alien in human form, who battles a variety of cosmic bad guys aided by plucky human companions.

Plucky? :lol

Here's a better idea: Take the money you'd waste on a movie and use it to make the series bigger and better. More locations, new writers, longer seasons... you get the idea.

Idea 2: Do a TV movie instead and use the money to get Eccleston, McGann and Tennant together with Smith (and any other surviving actor who can still realistically play the part. They say it'll take a couple of years to develop, so that means they could time it to tie in with the 50th anniversary.

where is the dislike button when you need it? seriously why not just continue what works? do they have to destroy everything that is good and holy?

At first I thought that it might not be too bad, but the more I thought about it the more I thought that it could go either way. Especially when I think about the new Cybermen. How do you cram all that history into a two hour or so movie? When they did the Star Trek re-boot (which I REALLY liked), at least everyone knew all of the characters because it has been in syndication since the 60's and all the other movies. I guess at this point my main hope is they don't screw up too badly.

At first I thought that it might not be too bad, but the more I thought about it the more I thought that it could go either way. Especially when I think about the new Cybermen. How do you cram all that history into a two hour or so movie? When they did the Star Trek re-boot (which I REALLY liked), at least everyone knew all of the characters because it has been in syndication since the 60's and all the other movies. I guess at this point my main hope is they don't screw up too badly.

Simple answer:

You don't.

Seriously, take a look at Doctor Who and the Daleks. It basically recreates the "The Daleks" serial, but with a very brief bit of introduction for the Doctor and his grandchildren (Vicki and Susan are both his grandchildren) and Ian (Vicki's boyfriend in the film). Then it just tells the basic story IN COLOR!! WOW!!! So, that's really the point -- the visuals. You have a bigger budget, so you just make everything more visually stunning. Michaelbaydoctorwhosplosions.

If its not connected to the TV series then its not DR Who and most of the fans will watch it and then ignore it. Who fans are even more die hard (rabbid seemed a little extream :)) than Trek fans so if its not treated with some respect they will make their feelings very well known.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back