Doctor Who gets a movie, and no more TV?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Noeland, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

2. nickytea

nickytea Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yates is great.

But "Who" with no Moffat or Smith? When the show is almost a movie as it is?
    And is becoming hugely popular in America?

Seems like a weird choice.

I mean, I just saw Doctor Who toys at the MALL the other day. There was a Tardis shirt at HOT TOPIC.

3. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

Bad idea IMHO. I love the show but I don't have any desire to see two totally unconnected versions of it going at the same time.

I think a movie would raise the risk of over-saturating the market. They're already tooting the Doctor Who horn a little too much as it is.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  4. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

I just hope if they are really going to take 3 years to develop a movie reboot (gah!) that they allow the TV show to have a proper finale.

5. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Been done before and didn't make much difference.

[​IMG]

I expect it'd be treated as "non-canonical" the same way the Cushing films are. Entertaining enough, but "real" Doctor Who.

6. Dave Porter

Dave Porter Sr Member

How about an Inspector Spacetime movie too?

7. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I'd like to see it as maybe a prequel to the series, maybe reintroduce his older lives since the older stuff isn't seen much.

8. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

For those who haven't seen Dr Who & The Daleks, you can watch that on youtube if inclined:

Dr. Who And The Daleks - YouTube

It streams like netflix, it's not one of those multi-part low res things.

9. timelordjedi777

timelordjedi777 Well-Known Member

Very bad idea.

10. Bootlegger137

Bootlegger137 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't like it.

I did, however, find the following part pretty funny...

Plucky? :lol

11. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

Here's a better idea: Take the money you'd waste on a movie and use it to make the series bigger and better. More locations, new writers, longer seasons... you get the idea.

Idea 2: Do a TV movie instead and use the money to get Eccleston, McGann and Tennant together with Smith (and any other surviving actor who can still realistically play the part. They say it'll take a couple of years to develop, so that means they could time it to tie in with the 50th anniversary.

12. Larry Young

Larry Young Master Member

I love watching slow-motion car wrecks.

13. nickytea

As in, announcing a misguided movie this early will be like watching a slow-motion car wreck, or this movie will, literally, include slow-motion car wrecks?

:lol

14. Larry Young

Ha! Probably both.

15. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

where is the dislike button when you need it? seriously why not just continue what works? do they have to destroy everything that is good and holy?

16. Jodo Kast 3

Jodo Kast 3 Well-Known Member

Jeezus...

What a monumentally craptastic idea.

Leave the * show alone and spend the money making the show better.

Idiots.

17. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Sr Member

Doctor Who Magazine reports this is untrue:
    Twitter

18. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

At first I thought that it might not be too bad, but the more I thought about it the more I thought that it could go either way. Especially when I think about the new Cybermen. How do you cram all that history into a two hour or so movie? When they did the Star Trek re-boot (which I REALLY liked), at least everyone knew all of the characters because it has been in syndication since the 60's and all the other movies. I guess at this point my main hope is they don't screw up too badly.

19. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Simple answer:

You don't.

Seriously, take a look at Doctor Who and the Daleks. It basically recreates the "The Daleks" serial, but with a very brief bit of introduction for the Doctor and his grandchildren (Vicki and Susan are both his grandchildren) and Ian (Vicki's boyfriend in the film). Then it just tells the basic story IN COLOR!! WOW!!! So, that's really the point -- the visuals. You have a bigger budget, so you just make everything more visually stunning. Michaelbaydoctorwhosplosions.

20. Alric

Alric Well-Known Member

If its not connected to the TV series then its not DR Who and most of the fans will watch it and then ignore it. Who fans are even more die hard (rabbid seemed a little extream :)) than Trek fans so if its not treated with some respect they will make their feelings very well known.

21. JBReplicas

JBReplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't believe it frankly, I can't see how the BBC would abandon one of its flagship programmes to make it into a new film series

22. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

didnt they kinda struggle if they were even gonna make a Season 7? its about making money nowadays.

also, the twitter post doesnt really say that its untrue...
    it just says, that its a rumour, and seeing as yates is on board allready, i think its rather fixed. the twitter post also says there are no actors yet in it, of course, as they are momentarly looking for writers...

so, no proof of untruth

23. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The Cushing films were simply to cash in on the Dalek craze. 60s UK was absolutely GA GA for 'em. Quite a phenomenon. There isn't a comparable impetus for a DW film today.

24. Larry Young

A unicorn kissed my sister. No proof of untruth.

25. nickytea

Not while they're still averaging ten million viewers an episode.

26. letmebestormy

letmebestormy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

No one's saying "no more tv".

Eh, I say do whatever you want but it has to be canon. Anything that's not canon is a travesty. The 1996 Fox movie was an abomination, but they never said "this never happened" and out of it came way more good than bad.

If you want to take your shot at Johnny Depp as The Doctor, Ellen Page as his companion, and Jonah Hill as the voice of K-9 then go for it. But if it's not part of the established universe then it's not a blip on the radar.

27. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Who hasn't?
    (rimshot)

28. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

Oooh, this is as good an Idea as making a Battlestar Galactica Movie that has little connection to either TV series. I think Whovians are * generous by including McGann's Doctor as cannon, where in the #%^& are you going to stick this guy in? Dr. 12, 11.5 8.75? What, show the Time War, and have him Regenerate into Ecclestone actually making Smith now Dr. #12?

All this is going to do is muddy the water. It's giving me a headache already. Of course there's only one real reason to do this...$$$ New Merchandise Galore, milk that cash cow...MOOOOOOOO. Yeah I want a Pringles tube shaped like a Tardis and a sonic screwdriver lollipop twirler.

29. Larry Young

I'd go see that.

30. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

Well then hammer out a script and send it in. Don't forget to make the Doctor a Person of Color or asian to be Politically correct, and reach a broader worldwide audience for theater seat and DVD sales. ;)

31. Egon Spengler

Egon Spengler Sr Member

Can anyone say "Jumping the shark"? Reminds me of the X-Files.. .

32. BrotherWilliam

BrotherWilliam Well-Known Member

33. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

^---Yes, if it is going to happen please do not Americanize it. Look at Torchwood....

34. letmebestormy

Moffat's response on Twitter:

[​IMG]

35. Larry Young

I am such a Moffat fangirl.

36. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

New respect for he Moff for this, and ditto to what Larry said. :lol

37. booksandcorsets

booksandcorsets Well-Known Member

I think I would have to see this movie:

38. Redbeard

Redbeard Active Member

Could somebody please explain that to me. I don't get it. Really.

39. nickytea

Yates spoke before he had any right to.

Thibault likes this.
  40. Larry Young

Announcing you're directing a Doctor Who movie with no budget, no cast, no script, and no real support from the rights-holders is the same as Steven Moffat announcing he's going to the moon.

Honestly, I put a MoffatBase on the green cheese before I'd think a Doctor Who movie came out absent present tv plans.

41. Redbeard

Redbeard Active Member

Oh. Now I understand. Thank you!

42. Wickerness

Wickerness Well-Known Member

I don't like the idea of a prequel. Doctor Who is just as much about the Doctor's origins being a mystery as is some of the other elements. I don't mind them revealing some things in stories (on tv) and wouldn't mind them showing a younger 1st Doctor in flashback or maybe meeting him (breaking the laws of time again). It's been pretty well established that Hartnell's Doctor actually was a kid and grew to that age.

I also wouldn't mind them doing away with the idea of the looms that were in some of the books. I always thought that idea was a bit silly.

Prequel movies rarely work anyway. You know the whole time you're watching it that there is no real danger to characters that are in the later (earlier) stories. At least with flashbacks it helps the story along or with crossing the timelines you have the "How do they get out of this without destroying the timeline?" bit.

43. Jodo Kast 3

Jodo Kast 3 Well-Known Member

If it happens...its gonna be crap.

Here`s an idea, how making the show a bigger budget show with a longer season seeing its one of the BBC`s biggest grossing shows?

Crazy I know..... :confused

Please BBC...do not let this idiot butcher your best show. :darnkids

44. Jet Beetle

Jet Beetle Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

In one article they say "It's going to take 3 years to get the script right" - that seems kinda specific and rather stupid, unless you already know you are timing this movie with the exit of Matt Smith and bringing in a new Doctor with a film.

45. Larry Young

I would love to see them cast somebody just outrageous like Tom Hardy as the young Hartnell Doctor and show him getting jaded on Gallifrey and stealing the TARDIS and having it get stuck in a 1960s form.

46. letmebestormy

Last scene fades out at a junkyard at 76 Totter's Lane. I'm in.

47. Larry Young

Yeah, exactly. That way it doesn't pee on anybody's parade, and you can still get a big-screen adventure.

48. CTF

CTF Sr Member

It's based on a boardgame, right?

49. nickytea

Most people don't know that the TV show was based on the popular board game "Guess Who."

50. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

They probably make the Doctor a girl and Rose/Ross a guy.