Limited Run Doctor Who 8th Doctor Alternative Sonic Screwriver 3d Printed Model Kits 2.0!!!

Okay correction ot my order (which I will email later today) -

2 x basic kits, 2 x rods, 1 x spare spare 3D printed handles, 1 x spare emitter head.

(This breaks down as - me - basic kit, rod & spare emitter head AND Tony-H - basic kit, rod & spare 3D printed handles)

All of it to be sent directly to me in the UK without tracking and I will pay for the lot as well.

Sorry about the change - my friend changed his mind when we were talking at the weekend and I've been trying to pin him down.

My name is in a pretty colour. Sweeeet.

You've earned it!

The 8th Doctor sonic stand is done production according to the order page on Shapeways, it's just waiting on one file from the War Doctor's sonic stand that I ordered along with it before being shipped. I should have something to show by the end of this week or early next week at the latest.

For those interested in adding a War Doctor's "The Moment" sonic screwdriver stand to your 8th Doctor props order, I can do so at no extra charge for shipping whether you're domestic or international.

Yespleaseandthankyou!!!

I'll post again once I have it in hand and can confirm that everything fits together right. Which version of the War Doctor's sonic do you have? The Russrep or the toy? I designed based on Russ' version as I don't have the toy, making the assumption that they're the same size. It looks like the last little bit of metal on the bottom of the cap is a tad longer on Russ' which I accounted for in the design - but if you have the Toy version and can take measurements of the cap diameter and the greater diameter of the extra bit (shown below in yellow) then I can know for sure it'll fit the toy.

Doctor-Who-War-Doctor-Sonic-Screwdriver-2 Markup.jpg

I just need measurements for those diameters from the toy version, or a confirmation that they're the same for the toy as they are for Russ'.

The stand shipped yesterday! Expected delivery date is Saturday so I'll post some pictures then.

Anyone happen to have the CO War Doctor's sonic? I still need those measurements to confirm that it will fit in The Moment stand!

Two cores left!!!

And TickTock, thanks for the measurements! They're exactly the same as the Russ version so the design should be good to fit either.

I just PM'ed you with my order...

Got it. The email just came through as well. Go figure.

I had a chance today to make a set of the real wood grips. It took me a few tries to get the hang of the accuracy on my drill press (and about ten minutes wasted trying it with a hand drill and failing to get straight holes) but I finally got a handle on things. I also was able to find strips of basswood as opposed to sheets, so I'm starting with the width and thickness of the strips and I just needed to cut them to length then drill the holes. They are slightly wider and a tad thicker than the 3d printed grips, but the difference is miniscule and doesn't change anything about the overall appearance.

Here's the real wood set next to the painted 3d printed set of grips.

IMG_5069.JPG

And here are the real wood grips on the finished prototype.

IMG_5068.JPG

This one set took me about a half hour to make between the trial and error of the drill press and multiple sanding sessions (I should have just saved it all for the end after they were cut and drilled) but I should be able to streamline it so I don't go insane before I get them all done haha. I really didn't think it would take that long.

For those that ordered kits with the wood, when you get your set they will require minimal clean up of little bits in the holes and you may choose to sand them smoother around the edges but the sets you'll get will have one pass at them with a fine grit so they're primed for paint. As mentioned in the first post, they are hand made one at a time so they won't all be perfect. It'll add character!

Well, I was supposed to get the stand(s) today but last I checked the tracking info on it, the package was in Providence, Rhode Island. I live in PA and Shapeways is in NY. RI is literally the complete opposite direction so clearly, they sent it to the wrong address or it ended up on the wrong USPS truck.

I don't know whether to blame Shapeways or USPS for this one but man, can't anyone do anything right anymore?

Well, I was supposed to get the stand(s) today but last I checked the tracking info on it, the package was in Providence, Rhode Island. I live in PA and Shapeways is in NY. RI is literally the complete opposite direction so clearly, they sent it to the wrong address or it ended up on the wrong USPS truck.

I don't know whether to blame Shapeways or USPS for this one but man, can't anyone do anything right anymore?

Blame USPS, they sent a package to Portugal on me once which was coming from mid states going to eastern Canada

Blame USPS, they sent a package to Portugal on me once which was coming from mid states going to eastern Canada

Normally, I would, but Shapeways has been dropping the ball a lot lately. When I ordered the stands, I checked the "print it anyway" option, which is there so that if there are any issues when printing your part, they will just print it and send it to you as is. I know my designs will print so I always check that. Three days after I placed the order they said they couldn't print it. When I sent them a screen grab of my order screen that showed the PIA option selected their response was basically "oh...didn't see it".

Sent you an email - would be interested in a TARDIS console base for the Dark Eyes sonic from the original moulds I just finished building up as a remote control for the McGann console in LA.

--Brian

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back