Limited Run Doctor Who 8th Doctor Alternative Sonic Screwriver 3d Printed Model Kits 2.0!!!

I'll let Brian respond to your question, cirens, but I did want to share this one quote from the email he sent me since it sorta of blew me away:

"Dave Tremont mentioned he saw your 3D prints when he gave me the parts - he was impressed!"

I think we can all pat ourselves on the back for this one - considering how many of you were extremely helpful in the recreation of this design!

On a side note, tracking on the stand(s) has it being delivered today. Apparently, USPS caught it when it reached Springfield, MA and rerouted it to the proper destination haha.

I think we can all pat ourselves on the back for this one - considering how many of you were extremely helpful in the recreation of this design!
You're way too modest. This would be nothing without you.
Glad to hear the package is on the way. I once had a parcel intended for my home address shipped to a branch of Pizza Hut. (And yes, it did have my address written on it and was a recorded delivery!)

You're way too modest. This would be nothing without you.
Glad to hear the package is on the way. I once had a parcel intended for my home address shipped to a branch of Pizza Hut. (And yes, it did have my address written on it and was a recorded delivery!)

Well in all fairness, it would be a 2/3 scale kit without use of the core unit if it was just me haha.

That's really Mr. Tremont's place to comment - I believe he is on the RPF.

All I can say is that the artist has a copy himself (as he should - it's a bloody great design!), and it's good he has moulds - since Paul McGann's first one was stolen from a train.

FYI to those who want to go 100% accurate - get good at applying gold leaf and gold foil to tiny corners. That's what gives the sonic the battered look at various conventions, bits of leaf falling off. Since mine is going to be handled a LOT with the console at shows, I ended up putting an aluminum structure and pins between all of the pieces, adhered it all together with silicone, and simulated the gold leaf look with about eight coats of transparent acrylic paint over a rub-n-buff type gold, over a Krylon aluminum spray which gives a metal cast look. Depending on how well it survives Gallifrey One next week with the current paint job I may do a little bit of spot cover on gold leaf.

Ah thanks Too_Many_Cars that's really interesting. I'm not aware of this feature you've done for Gallifrey One, I shall be looking out for it now. Hope it works out well for you.

The past three years I've had a prop/gadget museum set up with the McGann console - this year I'm just showing off props in person as well as the giant 'Cinder' ray gun and backpack I built in three days for the BBC + Doctor Who Legacy game for reference photos of the character. Catch me at the Legacy panel or something and I'll show you the Dark Eyes sonic.

The stands finally arrived! Only a week later than expected...

I've already cleaned the parts, I'm just waiting for them to dry. I'll post photos of the raw prints later on and attempt to finish the 8th Doctor stand tonight, but I'll probably also do some work on the Moment stand while I wait for coats to dry. My plan is to mix up some extra resin I have to fill the stand from the bottom once it's painted and assembled to add some weight to it, but I'll see how well it holds the sonic without it as well.

Alright, here's the stand! First in pieces, then 'assembled' and finally with the sonic in place. I'm going to paint it up tonight and hopefully have something to show tomorrow.

IMG_5075.JPG

IMG_5073.JPG

IMG_5074.JPG

Aaaaaand it's done. It's currently sitting upside down with some resin curing inside of it - apparently there was something wrong with the part A mix and it's acting funky. No matter, I'm not casting anything with it, just using it as filler, so once it hardens it'll be just as well.

Here it is first in pieces, and again fully assembled. I attached the first three panels using the center section as support, then attached the center section followed by the other panels.

IMG_5082.JPG IMG_5091.JPG

For the lights, I first painted them with flat white, then added a coat of Tamiya clear paint. Once the resin cures, I'll post another picture of the sonic in the stand but with the post-paint test, it's a perfect fit!

Here's the display stand with sonic in place!

IMG_5098.JPG

Also, if anyone here is interested in adding a display stand for their War Doctor's sonic (Russrep or CO toy version), it is available now for $40 and it won't add to the shipping costs. Here's that stand with the sonic in place.

IMG_5097.JPG

Send an email to doc@doctoroctoroc.com to add one to an existing order or include it with your order for the 8th Doctor kit when you send it in!

Last edited:
Payment sent. Sorry for the delay, started a new year at Uni this week and it got quite hectic sorting things out.

And that moment stand looks gorgeous, very impressive piece.

Just a reminder, this is the last day to put in your order. You still have until the 16th to send payment but the orders need to be locked in by the midnight EST on the 14th of February so I have a full two days to set up all the files for print.

And the run is concluded! Thanks so much to everyone who jumped in on this one, it was a blast! I'm going to take the next few days to organize and upload all the files then put the order in on Tuesday. If there are no snags along the way (fingers crossed), I should be receiving the kits by the beginning of March and will be sending them out shortly after.

I'll keep everyone posted along the way so you know how things are progressing. I'll also be starting a finishing thread for the kits once I send them out to you all.

Order & payment sent; now comes the hardest part, according to Mr Petty. (c;,'

I cannot wait to get these phenomenal pieces added to my collection! Sincerest thanks to you and everyone who helped make these a reality.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back