Do most high profile celebs die young?

Jedifyfe

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
What do you think the percentage is of high profile celebs dying young (say under 50 years old)?

I seems that the majority either are cursed to die young or obtain bad addictions that lead to an early death.

Feel free to post some celebs that are high profile that have lived past 50.

What do you think the percentage is of high profile celebs dying young (say under 50 years old)?

I seems that the majority either are cursed to die young or obtain bad addictions that lead to an early death.

Feel free to post some celebs that are high profile that have lived past 50.

Depends on your definition of high profile. Meryl Streep, Jack Nicholson, and Jack Palance are three that jump immediately to mind for me.

It does seem like a lot of celebs burn out and die young, but I don't think it's anything even close to a majority.

Interesting question and two sayin gs came immediately to mind.

The candle that burns twice as bright burns twice as fast.

It's better to burn out than fade away!

Tom Hanks, George Clooney, Dustin Hoffman, Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro, Mel Gibson to name a few.

Are the "high profile celebs" high profile due to their talent, or their "celebrity?" There's a difference.

Admittedly, Whitney used to be because of her voice and talent, but lately it was due to her marriage and substance abuse problems.

Some people do everything possible to die young.

Then there are those that probably should have died young but didn't.

Keith Richards comes to mind.

Keef was my first thought :) Plus all the Rolling Stones, Crosby, Stills, Nash AND Young... geez, so many old rockers still around, it would be a long list.

For films: Mel Brooks, Clint Eastwood, Stallone, Ahnold, Bruce Willis... and although they have passed, Burgess Meredith and George Burns hit the century mark.

I think the list of "died under 50" is much shorter than the "lived past 50".

I hope I look as good as Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr when I reach their age. They do not look like they are in their late 60's/early 70s.

A good question. Here's my two cents:

Many people who live at extremes find themselves constantly pushing the envelope. Those people usually (sooner than the rest of us) find the limit only to discover that it's too late to turn back.

Others, fall prey to drugs and end up loosing their way until they too reach the limits of life only to keep right on going and never realize it.

Then there are those who for all obvious reasons have the worst fortune - like Bruce Lee, who was at the top of his physical and mental 'game' when he died.

Lastly, there are those who live life with caution and die crossing the street on their way to work...

Roll the dice...life and the path we take is our own. We are all just witnesses to other lives and the chance (be it good or poor) that may fall upon others. Life is as beautiful as it is brutal, as warm and rewarding as it is cold and heartless.

I think that we take more note when death claims a widely known person than one lesser so; and to me, that is the truly sad part. I really don't think any one life is any greater than another.

You maybe right, though it seems like it would be longer.

That is because every one of them that dies early is talked about forever. Think about people like Cobain, Ledger, Lennon, etc. How many people of the same or younger age died on the same day they did. Lots and lots... but you never heard about them.

I dunno, there's plenty of survivors: Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Bill Wyman, Alice Cooper, Iggy Pop, David Bowie, Lou Reed, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey, just to give you some wild-touring rock star types, who, despite their wild youth, are all now heading for their 70s. Far more survive than die before 50. Judging from bands, it seems about a fourth die young (though I'm sure it's much less). To give the young dead associated with the above names: John Bonham, Keith Moon, Brian Jones.

Let's see Keith Richards,Mick Jagger,Lemmy Kilmister any of those guys are really into drugs and drink yet-still alive.

Drugs don't kill you being an idiot and weak does,most "big idol" stars that the media dump on us are pretty much all image and if you peel back a layer or two you'll find a shallow monster.

Why I like the metal/punk types as they don't hide it,they are what they are and if it kills them,well no big surprise...yet some live on and get old while still doing crazy stuff.

It depends on the individual. Lemmy of Motorhead eats Meat and Cheese, no fruits or vegetables, drinks at least a bottle of booze a day, and lot's of other drugs, and 2 packs a day since his teens, yet his Drs. gave him a clean bill of health - lungs, liver, all just fine.

Whitney from reports did some Xanax and alcohol and passed out in the bathtub and went under.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back