District 9 AR "Re" Build, v2

there are some specifics with my build. It relies on 16mm dowels (hollow or solid, doesn't matter) to join the main gun body together. So you prob need about 1m of that. It also needs 24 x 6mm (70mm each) solid rods to fix the top cylinders to the gun body. This is to that the top cylinders are not fragile. You can hand the gun to anyone, and just. not. care.

Apart from those, you can just "print it". The mix of rods + indent provides a "self alignment" of the top 24x cylinders. They need sanding/filing to fit properly. In the end tho, they are *snug* and more importantly "in line" with the body of the gun. *without* the need to run string or other aligment during gluing.

isn't copying supposed to be a form of flattery? :). hope so!
So, ok, one of my oldest buddies turns 50 this year (as do I, sigh) and I want to give him the rifle as a gift - well, the model and materials, he's been keen on doing a "crafting project" with me for quite some time. So if you'd be able to help me out here, that would be fantastic.

Awesome. What do you need?
I have an Elegoo Saturn, which I have forced to churn out a full mandalorian Anban rifle, and a massive 2 foot Jawa blaster. The dowels you mentioned I could either print, or see if the local DIY market has something in wood or metal. The whole thing will be on display in Rob's house, I am sure (it is so nice to have reached an age where you don't need to hide your nerdyness anymore), so I am not worried about sturdiness. But I need STL files, ideally broken down in parts that will fit the medium-sized build volume of the Saturn. Thingiverse has a fairly accurate version that downloads in 40 parts. The guy even includes decals AND Wikus's ID tag for printing. ;-)

192 x 120 x 200. Yes, it will take a little cutting, twisting and turning. But I have to admit that I absolutely loathe sanding, so I never even considered an FDM printer. Been working on a Mandalorian outfit for quite some time, and you absolutely can NOT have the faintest print-lines on those shiny metal parts.

Just did a cutting video:

onshape as far as I know, is still "Free" as long as yuo dont mind all your work being publicly available (as mine is).

ok. I had my piece split set to 186mm. so. unless Im going insane, you should be able to use the existing D9 splits. The same as I used for my print. That'll give you 6 individual prints. 186mm in height. From the "Cut for Printing" tab. Just right click each, and choose 'export'. then go to 'export' for STL.

Part splitting:

Ok I just applied for an account. And now, with your video, I also know where to look for the slicing tab. I may download the whole thing as one and then make finer slices with my Windows 3d builder, which is rather basic but can make useable chunks out of pretty much any model. I assume I will find the other parts in the list to the left...?

Ok I just applied for an account. And now, with your video, I also know where to look for the slicing tab. I may download the whole thing as one and then make finer slices with my Windows 3d builder, which is rather basic but can make useable chunks out of pretty much any model. I assume I will find the other parts in the list to the left...?
Yup, they're all in seperate tabs. From memory "Top Cylinders", "Top Barrel Thing"

This software may be easy-as-pie for you by now... me, I am sort of blindly finding my way through the tabs... there are 2 labelled "Top Cylinders"?! What is "fixing gun 4"? Seriously - cut this thing down into "logical" parts and put it on Etsy. People will throw money at you, especially as there are no competitors for this weapon. Yours could become the gold standard. The guy who made the go-to model for the Mandalorian gauntlets? He charges 25 dollars for the STLs. The downloads must be in the triple digits by now. Just sayin'.

Ok forget what I said, it took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to go about it - so now I managed to set the multiplane to 7, distance 154 mm, I even adjusted the dowels (nice feature!). BUT - when I open the exported, sliced gun body, I still have 6 pieces ... because the 2 frontmost cuts are still joined, despite having a divider plane in the preview. Hmm. Okay, if that is the only problem - I should be all set. Need to check whether I gathered all the parts... Thank you, and sorry if I sounded like a moron. I usually try to avoid that, with varying degrees of success.
My version

Last edited:
No worries - I hadn't actually thought to put the gun up as a) while *I* think its pretty accurate I didn't have any idea if others would think so. and b) I just kinda. did. forgot. got carried away with other stuff.

given that I am familiar with onshape, it wouldn't be hard to produce different sized cuts. e.g: max 150height, max 200 height etc.
I think the dowelling should stay as it is personally. No need to change what aint broken. I did consider running it the length of the the entire model. Havn't thought more on it.

btw: no offense taken :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back