Distressing a costume; Tips and tricks?

Shmwe Shmwe

Hey RPF-ers!

I've been interested in props and costumes for quite some time (commissioned some myself) so I though I'd finally give making something a crack. I figured I'd start myself off with something a bit simpler, so I'm trying to distress a pair of scrubs for a psychotic orderly costume, which I'm hoping to make look nice and grimy with some dried blood in there to. So my question is, are there any products or techniques you guys would recommend for getting a good, high quality look?

Thanks a bunch chaps :)

Sadly I don't think I could get my hands on enough actual blood to really mess it up. Thanks for the tip with the acrylic, I'm debating between doing that or getting some Perma-blood, soaking it into a sponge then batting the hell out of it. I'm not sure if that would give a more realistic effect or just waste a bunch of expensive Perma-blood by splattering it everywhere but me though.

As for the dirt has anyone had experience using Ben Nye character powder to muddy up there clothes?

how did it turn out? From what I've heard and seen most of the store bought stuff is a bit naff, but never heard of a dried blood one. Would you happen to remember the brand? :)

I'm in the UK sadly, hunting is pretty rare over here. I'm going to go hunting for someone who stock Ben Nye today, so I'l see if I can't find a movie FX shop whilst I'm out and see what they got

Last edited:
Best thing I've found is something I came up with several years ago. Since most makeup bloods never truly dry, and stay sticky, I experimented with various things and settled on this. It is clear PVA glue (Elmer's) mixed with clothing dye (RIT brand: Wine color + a little brown). You can drizzle or spatter it on, and it remains slightly thick. For older blood stains, add a little water and more brown dye.
You can see it in use here on a costume I did several years ago.
http://www.therpf.com/f24/68-comic-vietnam-meat-grinder-zombie-dragoncon-2012-version-121494/

Best thing I've found is something I came up with several years ago. Since most makeup bloods never truly dry, and stay sticky, I experimented with various things and settled on this. It is clear PVA glue (Elmer's) mixed with clothing dye (RIT brand: Wine color + a little brown). You can drizzle or spatter it on, and it remains slightly thick. For older blood stains, add a little water and more brown dye.
You can see it in use here on a costume I did several years ago.
http://www.therpf.com/f24/68-comic-vietnam-meat-grinder-zombie-dragoncon-2012-version-121494/

Thank you so much! that's exactly what I'm looking for and no doubt a million time cheaper than perma-blood, really can't say thanks enough :

Edit:

I just gave this a try and found it turned our really dark, and dried in clumps, did you have this problem and if you did, any advice? thanks :)

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, was it Elmer's glue all and liquid RIT? from what I've heard Elmer's is thinner that normal PVA and DYLON (the English equivalent of RIT) is a powder, which cause the PVA to clot instantly.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back