displaying FX lightsabers

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DDevil192 @ Apr 11 2007, 03:17 PM) [snapback]1460200[/snapback]</div>
whats the best way? and can anyone help explain what they did or share pics of their collection, thanks..

Griff
[/b]

I would like to know as well.

I do not like the MR FX stands, it would be nice if some other type of stand was offered.

Although mine are almost all in storage at this moment I can tell you what I did.
I wanted to hang all the sabers vertical on each side of the movie posters. I have not found any system I like, what I wanted was you to not see the mounting at all, but be able to take the saber down easy and show it off.
In the end- after trying other approches I decided the simplest answer was the best for me.
I mount a hook on the wall - just those little picture hanging hooks they sell everywhere. I painted the hook (which is tiny anyway) the same color as the wall - in my rented apartment that is white. Then I just take the saber and make a loop of 50 lbs fishing line aroung the handle. Basicly just making a loop around a good part of the handle where it will not slip off (and it has worked on every FX saber released so far) making the loop just slightly larger then the handle is around. Then just hook the saber , by that loop, onto the picture hanger, and the sabers just hang on the wall.
The finishing like is plenty strong to hold the saber - so is the picture hook. The Fishing line is also almost invisible, so the saber looks just glued to the wall. And keeping the loop of line just slightly larger then the handle of the saber means it hangs snug agains the wall, with the blade straight up ) taking away the sag worries., and easy to remove and "play with" -sure there is a small loop of fishing line on the handle, but really a smalll price to pay for what you get.
It may sound simple and kid like (and it is a little) but it works great. I have had sabers haning the way since I got them and have never had a problem.
I even have my double Maul hanging that way (on the side of an EP 1 poster of course :) ) and it works great. Not the right way, but my way. :)

I posted this tutorial way back. Cheap and quite nifty! There are more ideas at this link.

RPF Link

---------

It uses the 3M Command hooks mentioned above. However, I have not had any problems with them falling down. I'm just throwing this out there as an alternative :)

You'll need the items pictured below... A pack of adhesive picture hangers, a pack of clear tiny rubber bands, and loose key rings (one for each saber hilt... the 2" ring fits the ANH Vader and Luke ROTJ nicely). I purchased the picture hangers and key rings from Home Depot. The rubber bands, strangely enough, were found in the hair care isle of a local grocery store next to pony tail holders.
fx_hang01.JPG

Now, measure and mount the lower hanger, following the directions on the hangers' package...
fx_hang02.JPG

Once the lower hanger is mounted, measure up and afix the upper hanger for the blade.

Then slide the key ring over the lower hanger...
fx_hang03.JPG

The hilt fits in like so...
fx_hang04.JPG

Now, slide a couple rubber bands over the top of the blade and into the upper hanger (I recommend using at least two rubber bands for a secure hold)...
fx_hang05.JPG

And there you have it...
fx_hang06.JPG

prop_wall.jpg

The sabers can easily be pulled off the wall for play. You may have to replace the rubber bands every now and then, but you get plenty in a pack :)

Hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish there was a way to turn the blade on but the sound off. I'd hang mine and light them up once in a while if I didn't have to hear the saber sounds.

I used the BoBoDohn method... and I was going to post a link to the RPF thread, but he beat me to it. :lol

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Montagar @ Apr 11 2007, 05:08 PM) [snapback]1460348[/snapback]</div>
I used the BoBoDohn method... and I was going to post a link to the RPF thread, but he beat me to it. :lol
[/b]

Always willin to toot my own horn :p

By the way... it's been about a year and they're still secure without having to change the rubber bands. I've even taken them down about a dozen times to show them off.

This was a prototype display I did making a silhouette of Vader that is just painted black. The saber is attached so when the lights are out it looks like a scene from ESB :)

a.jpg

I would like to make a full scene of Vader fighting Luke from the Carbon scene chamber.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mechamaniac @ Apr 11 2007, 10:07 PM) [snapback]1460347[/snapback]</div>
I wish there was a way to turn the blade on but the sound off. I'd hang mine and light them up once in a while if I didn't have to hear the saber sounds.
[/b]

Easy enough... you just need to put tape over the pins that control the speaker. On the three pin it's just one and on the five pin packs it's two.

BoBo...thats an amazing display and method thank you for sharing i think i will try and do that, im moving into an apartment and that method you share has no holes in the wall....brilliant. thank you very much to all

Griff

I will also throw out that BoBoDohn method does work , andyou don't have to worry about those hooks not sticking well. I originally tried his suggestion and I was confident the sabers were safe on the wall.
I only had them up that way about a month before I changed to my current method, but they did seem secure (I was nervous about the sticky hooks, but they can hold way more weight then the sabers.)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mechamaniac @ Apr 11 2007, 06:07 PM) [snapback]1460347[/snapback]</div>
[/b]

w3781mutew219.gif

:p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xwingband @ Apr 11 2007, 06:26 PM) [snapback]1460409[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mechamaniac @ Apr 11 2007, 10:07 PM) [snapback]1460347[/snapback]
[/b]

Easy enough... you just need to put tape over the pins that control the speaker. On the three pin it's just one and on the five pin packs it's two.
[/b][/quote]

But there is still no way to 'disable' the automatic shutdown, correct?

^^^ Now thats a picture I like. :p

Its slightly different on the Mace one (there are more contacts) but its simple, temporary, and works.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bounty treasure @ Apr 12 2007, 12:50 AM) [snapback]1460468[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xwingband @ Apr 11 2007, 06:26 PM) [snapback]1460409[/snapback]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mechamaniac @ Apr 11 2007, 10:07 PM) [snapback]1460347[/snapback]
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

But there is still no way to 'disable' the automatic shutdown, correct?
[/b][/quote]

True, it's programmed into the board. You're bum out of luck there. :unsure

Surfergeek has you with the pacman style pic. If it was part of a permanent display and you didn't mind rewiring and losing the ramp up/down the board could be bypassed.

I saw one of these displays on ebay and I liked the design of so I made one for myself. I am going to have to make another one since my FX collection is growing.

Kenny

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/Picture002.jpg[/image]

I'll throw out the acrylic fx rack we make available at Rebelscum in our little store.

It's black acrylic and there are two different ones. One for 3 sabers and one for 5.

FX Rack Photos

By the way, this is my first post here. Hi everybody.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back