Disney's "Galaxy's Edge" - REAL lightsabers?

This has been confirmed to be available for the public? I thought this was just for a stage show Disney was going to put on?

kind of like the Indiana Jones show?
That's pretty much what I've been thinking throughout all the threads talking about it.

The complaints I've heard about it not being suitable for dueling, or being flimsy, etc, seem to me to be like complaining that the 'torches' in the PotC ride don't actually burn or put off any heat.

Lol
They're a fan, a light, & colored cellophane. They're made to be an illusion.

Unless I've missed it, nothing has alluded to sales to the public. Even the video says you can bet the first to "SEE" them.

This has been confirmed to be available for the public? I thought this was just for a stage show Disney was going to put on?

kind of like the Indiana Jones show?
No, they're not for the public. They are for cast members on the Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser that's opening soon. However I'm sure some of the more industrious members of the lightsaber community will eventually build their own version and maybe even improve on it.

Every single time I've ever put a static replica lightsaber prop in any of my friends hands they ALWAYS say "Does it work?"
A few days ago I handed an FX installed saber to my mother in laws boyfriend and he says "if I turn this on, does a flame come out?"
Had to explain its like a flashlight I'm not the hacksmith lol

But yeah these new disney sabers are cast member for sure.

Maybe eventually guests. Maybe? Someday?

Last edited:
Even if it's not available to the public in the first place, I'm sure it will be at some point, because money. They are pretty much sitting on a pile of gold with that thing.

The challenge will be for people here to make it fit in a graflex :)

I think that the biggest challenge, looking at the blue-print in the Patent document, is the series of 3 cogs and the chain situated at the side of the hilt. I guess it's needed (the torque) to get that "blade'' out of it. That could be improved and reduced (maybe) in size.

I would rather use a rubber belt than a chain.
Worked for Harley Davidson?

Real challenge is getting the blade moving faster, with smaller motor, smaller gears, smaller battery pack.
I'm an RC guy and all I can think is (dedicated to drivetrain) LIPO battery would fix 60% of that.

Bottom line: we need to dissect one of these, for RPF research purposes.

I remember trying to design something like this years ago but using rubber tubing for the blade. The idea was that it was thick enough to swing but flexible enough to be rolled into itself. The problem there was maintaining a solid structure while extended while also not losing shape after being rolled up. The theoretical solution to this theoretical build was using fishing line or a clear filament attached through the tubing and attached to the end cap. The internals would use Arduino-based motors to extend and retract the tubing into the blade. As I am not an engineer and seeing many flaws in this hypothetical lightsaber, am thrilled this real saber exists and looking forward to seeing it in action. Plus, this probably means there is a Kylo version of this somewhere out there. Which I can't wait to see.
Inflatable, with a CO2 cartridge... FAST!

Inflatable, with a CO2 cartridge... FAST!
I like the idea ID10T...but why not make it with a plastic spiral (like paper streamer) and the CO2 cartridge? The only drawback is that you'll have to collapse the plastic spiral by hand to put it back into the hilt.

I like the idea ID10T...but why not make it with a plastic spiral (like paper streamer) and the CO2 cartridge? The only drawback is that you'll have to collapse the plastic spiral by hand to put it back into the hilt.
...I think you just answered your own question.

Those party horn blower things curl back up when you stop blowing them. Close up the end so it doesn't make noise and will hold air and it should stay inflated until you let the air out (maybe).

We're going to use liquid nitrogen so it inflates and hardens.
Well, that`ll be quite the show. Doesn`t liquid nitrogen has a tendency to make the medium hard and brittle at the same time...and if so, no way you`re going to make it to collapse back in:unsure:

Yes, until it warms and evaporates to gas. So no smashing the blade early, or it will shatter.

Isn't this make-believe?

Yes, until it warms and evaporates to gas. So no smashing the blade early, or it will shatter.

Isn't this make-believe?
Understood...so what kind of nitrogen "capsule"/trigger will you use to make that ''blade'' go up?
As for the make-believe; is it possible to make? And if the answer is: yes! Then, I'll believe:p

Although lightsaber training has been talked about, I doubt guests will be wielding these. I believe they will only be for performers like the Rey character.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back