Disney's "Galaxy's Edge" - REAL lightsabers?

Although lightsaber training has been talked about, I doubt guests will be wielding these. I believe they will only be for performers like the Rey character.
Whoa...

I would rather have a regular (fixed) blade that really nailed the animated flickering effect of the OT footage. The blade's shape was different in each frame. It was one of those times when the SFX limitations made the result better.

The issue with the saber is, if it’s only going to be in Galactic Starcruiser, it’s gonna be a while before most of us get our hands on one. As revealed earlier today, Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser is going to be very, very, very expensive even before you get on board—which is where, hypothetically, you’d have a chance to buy one. Or maybe just use one and return it. We don’t know.

The hilt is bigger than an original Graflex. When you look at the patent's blueprints, there's a lot of stuff that has to be crammed inside for the ''blade" to unfold.

It looks maybe less than an inch bigger than it should.

I am not nitpicking this thing. It is incredibly cool and amazing already. Give it a few years for people to get a hold of it and refine it to the point of being near perfect. I said it before, this is the V1 of this lightsaber. It's only going to get better.

I'm picturing a Disney live show where the performers use these sabers at the beginning & end of a fight. They have concealed hand-offs and switch them for fixed blades to do the dueling.

I came back to the blueprint of the Disney Patent (page 1) and noticed that the drawing is showing the back of the saber (LED spool 260).
The front mentions "Blade Form 220" and near that piece you can see clearly that piece 212 is round.
So the spool of material is formed around piece 212 when coming out of the hilt...my 2 cents worth.;)

Hokey religious and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side

:p
d&d nerd GIF

I’m still willing to bet Disney releases these to the public.. it would be another cash grab..
I'm sure eventually that will happen. It will cost an arm and a leg to most people, but for some it will be easily obtainable. Someone (not me I'm sure) will be able to sleep in the Millennium Falcon for 10K a night and buy a retracting lightsaber for another 5K.

I'm sure eventually that will happen. It will cost an arm and a leg to most people, but for some it will be easily obtainable. Someone (not me I'm sure) will be able to sleep in the Millennium Falcon for 10K a night and buy a retracting lightsaber for another 5K.
Wonder what the price tag would be for having Vader cut your hand off then getting medically serviced in the falcon before your nights stay.

I heard it’ll at *least* cost you an arm and a leg to have Obi Wan come out and shout “I have the high ground” at you.

So an antenna like setup with coiled LED tape and a silicone ’sock’. I love the way it looks but those hilts are really big.

So an antenna like setup with coiled LED tape and a silicone ’sock’. I love the way it looks but those hilts are really big.
I'm wondering if the deployment of the "blade" could be achieve with a CO2 cartridge? You know, like the old seltzer bottle ;) You wouldn't have the chain/gears at the side of the design, therefore making an accurate hilt. Problem: you'll have to manually put the "blade" back into the hilt.
Then again, in the official vid, you don't see that blade going back in either:p

I'm wondering if the deployment of the "blade" could be achieve with a CO2 cartridge? You know, like the old seltzer bottle ;) You wouldn't have the chain/gears at the side of the design, therefore making an accurate hilt. Problem: you'll have to manually put the "blade" back into the hilt.
Then again, in the official vid, you don't see that blade going back in either:p
How about a free-floating end cap with a fan inside that draws air in for deployment of the blade, then reverses direction to suck air out to retract it?

I’m still willing to bet Disney releases these to the public.. it would be another cash grab..
I don't think so.
It's a pretty complicated device that likely requires a bunch of maintenance between shows.
The cost would be really high, and the return rate from damaged units would kill any profit.
Selling something like this to the general public would hemorrhage money.

How about a free-floating end cap with a fan inside that draws air in for deployment of the blade, then reverses direction to suck air out to retract it?
Fan should be plugged in...where? Too much machinery to make sure the speed of deployment is fast. CO2 cartridge doesn't need all that.
A trigger, the cartridge, the pin/seal to make sure every time you push the cartridge, the gas doesn't leak and empty the CO2.
Compressed air is also a solution...but it's the CO2 that seems to be the solution.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back