Disney's Belle & Beast Costume- Light Parade Versions

Re: Disney's Belle Costume

Great job. You know what your doing with the lights. Great stuff. Looking forward to seeing more!

This is only my second project with using any kind of LED lights :) And my first project ever using EL wire. Just a little bit of research and creativity!

Disney's Belle Costume

Well I sewed the battery pack to liner of the dress. Then I hooked it up to the on/off toggle button..
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420928389.991870.jpg

My 5v usb inverter came in the mail. Whoo Hoo, so tested it first to make sure it worked (it did). So I chopped off the USB and because it was only meant for power there was only black and red wires (no data wires). So I hooked it to the 4.5v battery pack (3 C batteries).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420928425.160367.jpg

AND IT WORKED!!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420930153.537004.jpg

I was hopping that it would work but was a little scared. That makes me real happy that I can hook up the entire dress to one battery pack and one on/off button!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420928451.259697.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420928451.259697.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

Got the code written for the twinkle lights on top of the dress :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

So I finished hooking up all the lights on the bottom of the dress!!!! Whoohoo!!! Now just have to install and hook up the twinkle lights at the top of the dress. So about 40-50 more and I'll be finished hooking up lights!! I'll be able to start sewing again [emoji4]

I finally hit the halfway point of the dress!!! Lighting is all wired. I think it looks beautiful!!! Now for the cutting and sewing of the rest of the dress!!! Time for sleep now.... More work tomorrow :)
Do u know how much more work that I could get done if my body didn't require sleep!!!

So one of the things it forgot to mention is after soldering all the wires I used hot glue to insulate and protect each of the connections, I'm using stranded wire and solder can still be kind of brittle. ALLL these connections still have to go through me constructing the rest of the costume not to mention the trip down there. We are flying and after looking at this crazy wiring batter packs and 4 lighting computer chips I've decided to ship the costumes ahead of time. My fear is that they will X-ray my checked back and go WTF is that!!! Delay my luggage to have the bomb squad call and worst case scenario would be the slash my costumes looking for c4 lol. My mother suggested I just call TSA explain the situation see what they say lol I said they've seen nothing like this and i wouldn't trust the answer I get :) better safe than sorry!!! To many man hours to risk it!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421805897.108444.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1421805925.652987.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1421805949.726571.jpg

Disney's Belle Costume

Been a little while since I posted!!! I haven't stopped working just some more research while I waited on yellow gold mirror organza to get here from Hong Kong. I bout yellow organzas locally but the colors were just to lemon yellow or antique gold it just didn't match. I tried to make it work and I just hated it lol after so much time and money I just can't "settle" for any fabric. So I took a gamble ordered some online... But we'll come back to that.

Something really exciting happened. I was contacted by adafruit out of NY. They make little computer chips and all kinds of electronic dudads for things such as LED projects like mine. (Smaller projected usually) but they have a ton of cool things and ideas/videos. But they did a blog about me :)

http://blog.adafruit.com/2015/02/04/belles-dress-gets-gazillion-leds-wearablewednesday/

Ok now back to work lol Mu fabric finally came in and when I pulled it out I was scared.. The color seamed waaaaayyyyyy to orange and it did NOT feel like organza as advertised. But the Orange color issue was because of sooooi many layers on top of each other. And even though it's not organza it's a very beautiful soft sheer fabric and..... I LOVE IT. I think it's PERFECT for this dress. I got a couple panels together and here's a little preview:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423456902.099054.jpg

Last thing, I discovered that my dress uses approximately 11-12 amps which is huge.... So I've been researching the crap out batteries and I believe I've finally put together my solution... I mean what's the use of this awesome dress if the batteries go dead before anyone can see it!! I'm thinking Lithium Polymer... Stay tuned

Last edited:

Ok so I got the yellow panels sewn and gathered. I used my heated cutter along the bottom so it wont fray but I still think it will look better hemmed. Or maybe gold piping along the bottom. Either way Happy with this fabric and color and length of the panels. ( Few adjustments still needed but yeah.. ) I think i'll use the lemon crystal organza I have for swag around the skirt... we'll see :) I also decided to NOT go with the white crystal organza over the lights. It mutes the color too much in my opinion, especially in the EL wire. ( you can compare this pic with the one from the previous post to see the difference)
10506794_1053953477964547_3352753898654609257_o.jpg

Side note, I found another article written about my dress :) This time I didn't even know about it! I was just googling and saw a picture I took with my dress and when I hovered it I didn't know the website. Good news is they all link me here to The RPF!! People can read and Join the RPF!... Isn't that what the whole Halloween costume contest they throw every year is about! This dress will DEFINITELY be entered!
http://blog.atmel.com/2015/02/04/this-belle-dress-is-perfect-for-disneys-electric-light-parade/

Alright got the liner seen to the dress and the sleeves on it. I have not put the bottom hoop back in it yet but....ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424568273.991815.jpg

And here is one with the rose I made for it pined on. I'm trying to decided if it's too big should I try and make a smaller one. Remember the bottom poofs out more once I put the hoop back in :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424568401.946584.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424575062.130563.jpg
This is with the bottom hoop in :) I think the large rose is ok... Lol I'm so judgie lol

Last edited:

Ok I put a Temporary Battery power bank on the dress and here is my daughter wearing the completed dress! I love it!! I think it fits her perfect and looks stunning on her :)

Now I just need to figure out how to ship it down to our hotel ahead of time. Now to start at Prince Adam (the beast) and My sleeping beauty costume!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back