Disney wants more 'Star Wars' in its theme parks

The last I recall reading about Disneyland was that the Star Wars-ization of Tomorrowland had largely been scrapped due to cost overruns of the wristband system in the Orlando parks. There was then some rumors about scrapping Toontown for a Star Wars area, but that area closes early because of the fireworks.

I think they're saving the announcements for the US parks until D23 in August:

https://d23.com/d23-expo/

Big old THIS. I've heard every rumor possibl, but until D23, nuthin's official. Only bet I'll make is that Hollywood Studios is gonna get a big SW treatment. So many attractions there have closed or are vacant, it's obvious something is being planned.

Though I'd be happy with this:
Landocalrissian.jpg

The latest from the rumor mill:
http://micechat.com/108619-disneyland-rumors-starwars/

The plan for Star Wars Land has grown immensely in scale, and it’s now aimed squarely at the land north of Disneyland itself. Taking over the Festival Arena, the Circle D Ranch, Mickey’s Toontown and several rehearsal halls and office buildings just north of Toontown. The Circle D property, where all of the park’s horses, goats and other animals are kept will be moving off property to a new facility nearby, and the horses will then be trailered in for their 4 hour shifts pulling the Horse Drawn Streetcars on Main Street.

Picture1-610x343.jpg

The rehearsal halls and offices north of Toontown would be moved over to the larger 160,000 square foot office building Disney bought last year at 1515 S. Manchester Avenue, which now houses a dental supply company. That building on Manchester is slated to be phase two of the Pumbaa parking structure, expanding its capacity beyond 8,000+ spaces after the first phase of 5,000 spaces opens in 2018, but in the short term it will become the temporary home of Disneyland’s displaced backstage buildings. The smaller building at 1585 S. Manchester will be demolished for the parking structure construction.
The majority of Star Wars Land in the northernmost park acreage will be inside a massive series of show buildings, meaning the land won’t have to close for fireworks fallout. The rides and shows in the land itself are being developed in a top secret Imagineering lab in Glendale with Imagineers signing extra confidentiality agreements because the plotlines and characters are pulled from the next three episodes in the Star Wars saga and the Lucasfilm folks understandably guard that information with their lives. But what we can tell you is that Star Wars Land will include multiple attractions, anchored by a mega E Ticket using a trackless vehicle that will break the mold when it comes to how theme park visitors interact with a ride environment.

Instead of taking over Mickey's Toontown, they should just do a third gate and dedicate an entire theme park to Star Wars.

toontown is really popular for the really little kids. It was the only part of the park my then 21 month old son really enjoyed and it was packed with the 5 and under crowd.

Instead of taking over Mickey's Toontown, they should just do a third gate and dedicate an entire theme park to Star Wars.
I haven't been but, based on what I've been told, I'd say the original Disneyland park in Anaheim (California) could bulldoze California Adventure and put that space to much better use as a Star Wars attraction.

I haven't been but, based on what I've been told, I'd say the original Disneyland park in Anaheim (California) could bulldoze California Adventure and put that space to much better use as a Star Wars attraction.

The overhaul they've done over the past 10 years or so has increased the attendance numbers on that park greatly. The new rumor is that there's a third park down the pipeline, because Disney has started buying up property around Anaheim again.

California adventure is actually kinda neat now. The whole car land is awesome to see in person.....like you stepped into red rock Arizona. Plus they serve good beer.

Yeah, Cars Land was pretty impressive - like walking right into the film. If they bring even a fraction of that to Star Wars Land, oh man...

I'm thinking it will be the random souvenir shop that is at the exit of star tours and connected to the arcade.

Well, they worded it "...a reimagining of the classic Space Mountain attraction in which guests will join an X-wing Starfighter battle."

They've done a Halloween "redress" (I don't know what really to call it) before called "Ghost Galaxy: which added new lighting effects throughout and projections on the inside of the dome, and a new sound track.

Well, they worded it "...a reimagining of the classic Space Mountain attraction in which guests will join an X-wing Starfighter battle."

They've done a Halloween "redress" (I don't know what really to call it) before called "Ghost Galaxy: which added new lighting effects throughout and projections on the inside of the dome, and a new sound track.
I was referring to the part of the post about using innocent ions as the props location like they did with marvel. That arcade/souvenir shop connects to both the exit for space mountain as well as star tours.

I was referring to the part of the post about using innocent ions as the props location like they did with marvel. That arcade/souvenir shop connects to both the exit for space mountain as well as star tours.

Mea culpa, I misunderstood!

My money is still on Innoventions for the Disneyland exhibit...that's where they had the Marvel meet-n-greet with Thor and it's currently sitting empty I believe.

Either way I'm pretty excited for these new additions. It's really need that they can so easily "expand" the new Star Tours ride.

Oh man if they have a full size (not undersized!) Falcon, and even better if you can go inside.... drool.

There's no way there's going to be a ten-story cliff face encircling it, though. :lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back