Disney wants more 'Star Wars' in its theme parks

I was able to check out the Star Wars Launch Bay this past weekend and it did not disappoint, unfortunately my family was in a bit of a rush so I couldn't really take my time and linger as much as I wanted to. It's worth nothing that the Rey costume they have on display is not an actual costume, I didn't get a very close look but it looked the whole thing was just a statue. As for the Star Destroyer, I don't know if it's a replica or an original but I can say that the thing is painted in one single shade of grey, there's no washes or dry brushing/highlights on it at all, just plain grey.

Some of the other theming they have going in Tomorrowland is that they're projecting the symbols of the Rebellion/New Republic and the Empire on either side of Tomorrowland as you enter. The Rebels in on the right on the front-side of the Star Tours building and the Imperial cog is projected on the front-side of the Astro Blasters building. Once you get further into Tomorrowland, around where the entrance to the People Mover used to be, you can hear Star Wars music being played, music from both the OT & PT. I didn't go on Hyperspace Mountain yet, the line was 2 hours long, nor did I ride Star Tours so I can't report on the new Jakku scene they've added. I did watch The Path of the Jedi and it was nice to see Star Wars on the big screen again, including the current trailer. What's interesting is that the OT footage they showed were from the SEs, of course, but an older release I think because during the throne room fight in Jedi where Vader is supposed to be now screaming, "Nooo!!!" as he's throwing the Emperor down that pit, Vader was blessedly silent during that scene in PotJ.

From what I seen, its going to be somewhat amaze balls, in progress the other week.

in6af5.jpg

2zzn4w1.jpg

j8l5jd.jpg

And here is an update on the areas of the park being closed, similar to what Willy posted above.

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/12/how-the-star-wars-land-construction-will-affect-disneyland/

Never really been a big fan of Tom Sawyer Island and been a long time since I ever did the riverboats. Cant say that closure affects me too much. But its good that they are giving a new expansion, I am looking forward to it. Still need to check out season of the force though.

Disney Flying In Han Solo To Show Off ‘Star Wars’-Themed Lands On ABC Special

http://deadline.com/2016/01/han-solo-star-wars-lands-disneyland-first-look-1201691692/

Harrison Ford will give viewers an exclusive preview of the Star Wars-themed lands in the works at Disneyland and Walt Disney World during ABC’s The Wonderful World of Disney: Disneyland 60 special which is airing on ABC on February 21. The network promises new details will be revealed for the lands, which are now under construction in both Anaheim and Orlando parks. The special shoots Friday.

The son of one of my wife's cousins got a job at Disneyland California about a month ago, and we just found out he's going to start training for the "launch pit" (i.e., the guy that pushes the button to get the ride car moving). Oh, and in addition to that, he'll be getting paid to learn everything there is to learn about Star Wars. If I was 30 years younger, I'd have to kick the lucky guy's ass out of jealousy. :lol

The son of one of my wife's cousins got a job at Disneyland California about a month ago, and we just found out he's going to start training for the "launch pit" (i.e., the guy that pushes the button to get the ride car moving). Oh, and in addition to that, he'll be getting paid to learn everything there is to learn about Star Wars. If I was 30 years younger, I'd have to kick the lucky guy's ass out of jealousy. :lol

That's pretty cool, I hope it makes up for all the cutbacks that they've done over the years. When I worked there, many, many moons ago, we used to have locker rooms and we'd change into our costumes there, and at the end of the day or at the beginning of your next shift you'd turn it in for a fresh one, no wearing it home and taking care of it yourself. Now you see cast members going to and from the Park in costume all the time, just they would at every other theme park or like at a McDonalds. They also no longer have onsite parking any more, you have to park off property at the Toy Story lot and take a shuttle in, that's if they don't block it off and turn it all into guest parking and make you park even further out meaning you'd probably have to get there about an hour early in order to be sure to have enough time to park and get to work.

Still, I'm sure it's still a decent Summer/part-time job while going to school, can't beat being able to go into the Park any time you want, assuming they haven't cut back on your sign in privileges as well. The pay wasn't too bad either and you could always supplement it by selling off cast member exclusive items that you could buy or were given.

...Still, I'm sure it's still a decent Summer/part-time job while going to school...
He's trying to get into some sort of "school for the performing arts" in New York so I'm not sure how long his gig at Disneyland will last, but he seems to be enjoying it so far.

30-something years ago I had a friend who would work there during the summers in one of their camera/photo shops to earn a little extra money. We could always tell when he'd start working there again because he'd suddenly show up with the required "high and tight" haircut. :lol

30-something years ago I had a friend who would work there during the summers in one of their camera/photo shops to earn a little extra money. We could always tell when he'd start working there again because he'd suddenly show up with the required "high and tight" haircut. :lol

That's another thing that's changed, they've greatly relaxed the grooming standards some years ago, short hair is no longer required, you still can't wear it long as a guy but near military short is no longer required. They've also lifted the ban on facial hair, now having a mustache and/or beard is acceptable; I really miss the old days when cast members were clean cut and clean shaven.

That's another thing that's changed, they've greatly relaxed the grooming standards some years ago, short hair is no longer required, you still can't wear it long as a guy but near military short is no longer required. They've also lifted the ban on facial hair, now having a mustache and/or beard is acceptable; I really miss the old days when cast members were clean cut and clean shaven.
As long as the employees don't look like they're auditioning for the next season of Duck Dynasty, I don't mind Disneyland allowing facial hair and longer hairstyles. Times change, and there aren't too many people these days who want to walk around looking like they just stepped out of the 1950s just to work for The Mouse.

As long as the employees don't look like they're auditioning for the next season of Duck Dynasty, I don't mind Disneyland allowing facial hair and longer hairstyles. Times change, and there aren't too many people these days who want to walk around looking like they just stepped out of the 1950s just to work for The Mouse.

It's like the old standards required a high and tight from the men, when I was working there the regs were that the hair had to be off the ears and above the collar, now it's just one step short of grunge, in my opinion.

The one thing that hasn't changed, sadly, are the costumes, most are just as ugly as ever and completely unflattering on the average women. Even the hottest super model with the most awesome body would have a hard time looking good in most of the costumes. I think that most were designed as unisex costumes in the sense that there were no design changes from the men to the women, just a matter of fit but they didn't alter the cut any. The worst are probably are the costumes in Tomorrowland with the best probably being Fantasyland but that's mainly because the women have a choice of wearing a skirt with some of the costumes, the pants they provide for most to all of their costumes just make women's hips look extra large for some reason.

The one thing that hasn't changed, sadly, are the costumes, most are just as ugly as ever and completely unflattering on the average women. Even the hottest super model with the most awesome body would have a hard time looking good in most of the costumes. I think that most were designed as unisex costumes in the sense that there were no design changes from the men to the women, just a matter of fit but they didn't alter the cut any. The worst are probably are the costumes in Tomorrowland with the best probably being Fantasyland but that's mainly because the women have a choice of wearing a skirt with some of the costumes, the pants they provide for most to all of their costumes just make women's hips look extra large for some reason.
My guess is that the costumes and required uniforms are deliberately unflattering for two reasons. First, they want the employees to do their jobs, not flirt with the guests; making them appear less attractive decreases the chances of the guests "hitting on" them. Second, Disneyland hosts people from all over the world on a daily basis. Each employee could potentially encounter hundreds of people during their shift, people from cultures that are very different to ours here in the U.S.. Making the employees look less attractive decreases the chances that they'll become the subject of unwanted advances. I'm sure it still happens, but not as often as it would if the employees looked their best.

As for the costumes/uniforms making the female employees' hips look larger, I like a woman with wide hips so I'm fine with that. ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back