Disney 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea Crewman

Reefer jackets…..not “tunics”.
"Officers Tunic" is what the Master Tailor at Western Costume called them, so (for me & everyone I've ever talked to) Tunic it Is!
Here's the accepted-standard definition of "Reefer jacket": What is a Reefer Jacket? // Please (if permissible)- do tell more - about the 3x Diver Helmets you saw. - Which types?: Nemo, Crown, Baldy / and which type of the 3 - was in a museum? (& location?).

Last edited:
Always loved those, they were chacos before chacos were invented!
"Officers Tunic" is what the Master Tailor at Western Costume called them, so (for me & everyone I've ever talked to) Tunic it Is!
Here's the accepted-standard definition of "Reefer jacket": What is a Reefer Jacket? // Please (if permissible)- do tell more - about the 3x Diver Helmets you saw. - Which types?: Nemo, Crown, Baldy / and which type of the 3 - was in a museum? (& location?).
“Tunic” it is not! If that’s what they called it at Western Costume; then they are also misinformed, as are the other people that you’ve spoken with. A tunic is a medieval garment, and is not 19th & 20th Century military & nautical clothing. If I had used that word in reference to uniforms, when I was in the US Navy; everyone would have laughed at me….if they even knew wtf I was talking about. That word is used by the uneducated, who now use it as generic term for every type of uniform, because they don’t want to bother to do proper research. So, you can continue to incorrectly call it a tunic, and follow that crowd; or you can call uniforms & clothing by there proper names. I don’t care either way. I’m sharing info with you; and it’s up to you how to take it. As you seem to be doubting everything I say; I have collected uniforms (and diving helmets) for decades, have written articles, been featured in books, etc. I’m not bragging….just putting out the few credentials that I have.
As for the diving helmets; all three versions are in the collections of Leon Lyons, Richard Durgee, and The History Of Diving Museum in Islamorada, Florida. If you doubt me; then Google them. They were actually disappointing to see in person, as they are common WW2 era Japanese (made by Yokohama and/or TOA), with all those useless fittings soldered on to them. I always wonder how the crew would have had the skills and resources; to manufacture those diving suits; let alone a submarine.

Attachments

• 1041D6AD-D831-40F1-81A3-5A18F47C74BB.jpeg
    1041D6AD-D831-40F1-81A3-5A18F47C74BB.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 44
  • FFFD51CD-498B-4227-AA9D-5066126F92F2.jpeg
    FFFD51CD-498B-4227-AA9D-5066126F92F2.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 6601A9C2-36D7-48DE-B427-52EE6F24B3E1.jpeg
    6601A9C2-36D7-48DE-B427-52EE6F24B3E1.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 3ACCBFFA-504F-4293-BD7D-D3B5936CC8AC.jpeg
    3ACCBFFA-504F-4293-BD7D-D3B5936CC8AC.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 39
Marc, Thanx for 'sharing' your well written comments & those funny animations!
Oh how I laughed & laughed & laughed

Turns out we are both correct:
Tunic: noun / Tunics: plural noun
1) a loose garment, typically sleeveless and reaching to the wearer's knees, as worn in ancient Greece and Rome.
2) a close-fitting short coat as part of a uniform, especially a police or military uniform.
Note: It remains true that word definitions do evolve as time marches on,
so when Not in Rome or Greece or in the Middle Ages = Tunic it Was & Tinic it still IS!

Last edited:

1) a loose garment, typically sleeveless and reaching to the wearer's knees, as worn in ancient Greece and Rome.
2) a close-fitting short coat as part of a uniform, especially a police or military uniform.
so when Not in Rome or Greece or in the Middle Ages = Tunic it Was & Tinic it still

so when Not in Rome or Greece or in the Middle Ages = Tunic it Was & Tinic it still IS!
Sorry I frustrated you. Enjoy your weekend.

Frustrated by you, not in the least. What I am is: indifferent to your sarcastic inferences.
...and have a Slap Happy Holiday Season, Batman!
Good, I wouldn’t want to frustrate you. I feel better now. Your sarcasm was also noted. You also have a Slap Happy Holiday Season, Robin!

"Robin" You are F U N N Y! Now I feel better too.
You feeling better about yourself was my only concern. ...still laughing.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back