Die Cast Lighted 1/350th TOS Enterprise (TOMY crowd funded)

Of course it’s the 1:350. Here she is in action…
I've yet to meet a Klingon with the space huevos to call HER a garbage scow.

If Tomy were to make a refit, I'd like to pick your brain a bit if you're willing and see if you've any strong opinions on any of the following queries:

Would a refit be significantly more costly to manufacture, in die-cast metal, than the 1701?

Did they use the AMT plastic model molds to design the TOS, and do they have the rights to any existing 1:350 refit molds/sculpt?

Is the paint job vastly more complicated?

What price point do you think would make it doable for Tomy, assuming they (hopefully) made enough money from the 1701 to make it worth their while?

I've yet to meet a Klingon with the space huevos to call HER a garbage scow.

If Tomy were to make a refit, I'd like to pick your brain a bit if you're willing and see if you've any strong opinions on any of the following queries:

Would a refit be significantly more costly to manufacture, in die-cast metal, than the 1701?

Did they use the AMT plastic model molds to design the TOS, and do they have the rights to any existing 1:350 refit molds/sculpt?

Is the paint job vastly more complicated?

What price point do you think would make it doable for Tomy, assuming they (hopefully) made enough money from the 1701 to make it worth their while?
Again, I have no idea what the plans are in the future.
However as someone who has built more of these Refits than I should have…
The kit is a nightmare.
The paint job is very complicated and a multi step process.
Another nightmare.

That’s the best I can do for ya!

The kit is a nightmare.
Another nightmare.

thanks! I don't see how they could possibly offer a screen-accurate refit at the same price, but I'm sure somebody at Tomy has noticed by now the 1701 is already selling for $2K. I'm confident with sufficient lead-up time and promotion they could easily sell 5000 refits at $799 or $899. Although maybe we shouldn't remind them of that too hard, on second thought.

The kit is a nightmare.
Another nightmare.

I agree. The Refit would be a much more complicated build. If TOMY were to even attempt such a project they would definitely have to charge more.

That being said they did offer it as an option when they released a survey last year asking what the next project should be. I voted for the Refit of course as did many others. I'd be shocked if the Refit did not come out on top of the polling.

thanks! I don't see how they could possibly offer a screen-accurate refit at the same price, but I'm sure somebody at Tomy has noticed by now the 1701 is already selling for $2K. I'm confident with sufficient lead-up time and promotion they could easily sell 5000 refits at $799 or $899. Although maybe we shouldn't remind them of that too hard, on second thought.
LOL I don't think they need reminding! I think they are well aware of the aftermarket prices as I've seen Chris Huesman all over other boards that are talking about the TOMY.

I don't mind paying more if they can keep the price under a grand...tops 1200 bucks for me personally. AS I'VE EXPRESSED BEFORE A REFIT WOULD BE MY DREAM SHIP...NEXT TO MY RED 5 X WING OF COURSE WHICH I JUST GOT FROM MYC SCULPTURES!!!...and i can't imagine the demand not being there for this ship.

I agree though that TOMY SHOULD EASILY HIT THE 5000 MARK. maybe even go up 8000? or more? I gotta imagine that one of the most beloved ships in sci fi history would be a BIG BIG BIG HIT.

LOL I don't think they need reminding! I think they are well aware of the aftermarket prices as I've seen Chris Huesman all over other boards that are talking about the TOMY.

I don't mind paying more if they can keep the price under a grand...tops 1200 bucks for me personally. AS I'VE EXPRESSED BEFORE A REFIT WOULD BE MY DREAM SHIP...NEXT TO MY RED 5 X WING OF COURSE WHICH I JUST GOT FROM MYC SCULPTURES!!!...and i can't imagine the demand not being there for this ship.

I agree though that TOMY SHOULD EASILY HIT THE 5000 MARK. maybe even go up 8000? or more? I gotta imagine that one of the most beloved ships in sci fi history would be a BIG BIG BIG HIT.

Meh. I would rather have a TOS romulan war bird or Klingon D7 to scale with the TOS 1701..

t.jpg

ah i think that's the guy mentioned earlier in the thread-- scooped 'em up after the screwhole activists cancelled their orders. looks like he just sold his last one--- he started at $1500 but quickly raised the price to $1899 IIRC.

After ebay fees that's about $18K profit.

I wish Tomy would've saved a small warehouse-full for themselves for this purprose-- then we'd be GUARANTEED a refit.

ah i think that's the guy mentioned earlier in the thread-- scooped 'em up after the screwhole activists cancelled their orders. looks like he just sold his last one--- he started at $1500 but quickly raised the price to $1899 IIRC.

After ebay fees that's about $18K profit.

I wish Tomy would've saved a small warehouse-full for themselves for this purprose-- then we'd be GUARANTEED a refit.

Doesn't the IRS get involved at some point?

The guy saw what we all should have. It was going to be a great product people would love to have, plugs or not. I wish I had ordered more!

It was easy to let our imagined perfect replica not being realized cloud the issue.

I love seeing my TOMY E every morning! I'm amazed by the paint job and lighting.

The guy saw what we all should have. It was going to be a great product people would love to have, plugs or not. I wish I had ordered more!

It was easy to let our imagined perfect replica not being realized cloud the issue.

I love seeing my TOMY E every morning! I'm amazed by the paint job and lighting.

Well many of us did see it....we even mention it when people wanted to return theirs. Even one guy admitted he wanted to buy something else with his $600...lol. I was considering picking up a couple more after all the returns. I still have one boxed but am too lazy to get rid of it right now. This guy does this all day long and probably had the 8k or so to buy them quickly. More power to him...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back