Die Cast Lighted 1/350th TOS Enterprise (TOMY crowd funded)

I’m not talking about fixing any things that are “wrong” with it. I agree with you that she’s beautiful and perfect as is without any changes. But there are those of us for whom the fun lies in taking something already beautiful and then personalizing it to be “our version” or even just to make it slightly different than all the other mass produced ones. You could have a flawless replica of her and some of us will still want to add battle damage or slightly different LEDs or whatever. It’s just the joy and challenge of taking a thing and studying it, figuring out how it comes apart, and then adding our own touches to it. For instance, I would love to be able to add some crew figures to the bridge. Maybe a little Captain Kirk sitting in his chair. Others might like blinking lights in the Shuttle Bay, sound chips, or a “red alert” mode.

Again, I think TOMY knocked it out of the park with this replica and I’m thrilled with mine. But even so, I’m still sure there are other people out there itching to get her apart and see what they can do with her by using her as a base and then making her even more than she originally was when we first opened the box.
Or, instead of possibly destroying a beautiful replica as is, go build yourself one of the 1:350 Kits available from Polar Lights. Seems logical to me!
Just Sayin…

I gotta watch at LEAST two or three other people ruin theirs first before I try it with mine! :p
Come on you know you want to !

Attachments

• angel.jpg
    angel.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 17
I had actually gotten some supplies ahead of the model arriving and planned to try filling the seams and adjusting the stand, but after seeing it I thought it was fantastic the way it came and lost any interest in changing it.

If someone creates a great stand someday I might update that, but really I'm just enjoying how it is.

Thanks, TOMY!
'

So looking for some advice - I have the option of buying either a Master Replicas Enterprise from 2007 or a Tomy. Similar price for each. What would people recommend? I'm erring towards the due to the die cast and the fact that MR is older and therefore can't guarantee how long the electronics would last (it's second hand and in full working order but still)

You will no doubt get a lot of opinions but in the end it's your decision regardless of comments by other individuals ! And you know what they say about opinions !

Last edited:
Or, instead of possibly destroying a beautiful replica as is, go build yourself one of the 1:350 Kits available from Polar Lights. Seems logical to me!
Just Sayin…
If someone has the skill and interest in making modifications like that, I'd hardly call that "destroying".

...edit... I missed the word "possibly".

I suppose there's a chance the modifier could be delusional about their talent level.

The polar lights kit would be a lower cost proving ground if there's any doubt, tho I suspect that would amp up the electronics difficulty substantially as there aren't any built-in.

And there's something to be said for metal construction over plastic.

More earthquake proof at least. Not to mention planet eating ice cream cones and grumpy whale probes.

Edit #2: wait, is there a 1701 polar lights with electronics? Including spinning nacelles?

Last edited:
So looking for some advice - I have the option of buying either a Master Replicas Enterprise from 2007 or a Tomy. Similar price for each. What would people recommend? I'm erring towards the due to the die cast and the fact that MR is older and therefore can't guarantee how long the electronics would last (it's second hand and in full working order but still)

Really similar price for each??? You're kidding? The TOMY E must either have really gone up in price or the MR E has dropped. I have been seeing some MR E's for very low prices of late though those were damaged and some electronics were not working perfectly...still working but not perfect.

Can you get both? If not it is a very tough call. The MR E is very much loved by the community. Wish I had bought one all those years ago but i was still in school.

Now I'm really happy with my TOMY. The details are tremendous and the paint job is exceptional IMO. The Die Cast is very cool. The shuttle bay alone is worth the price of admission.

That being said I think the MR is more like a real studio model and the TOMY with it's seams less like. The seams don't bother me for the overall presentation is fantastic but if you are a stickler for details go with the MR. It's the OG of the classic TOS! But either way you can't lose!

Good luck!

Last edited:
I had actually gotten some supplies ahead of the model arriving and planned to try filling the seams and adjusting the stand, but after seeing it I thought it was fantastic the way it came and lost any interest in changing it.

If someone creates a great stand someday I might update that, but really I'm just enjoying how it is.

Thanks, TOMY!
'
I to hope someone creates a stand someday! The ship deserves a new stand!

I have the Master Replica. I also had the Tomy on order, but cancelled when I saw the photos of the finished Tomy product.

Yes, the electronics in the Master Replica have failed on some people's models, most often with the turbine at the front of one of the nacelles failing to rotate. But mine is functioning perfectly after all these years; the only degradation (and it's slight) is some staining from what looks to be glue that's run a bit at the inside bottom of the frosted nacelle endcaps. The nacelle support struts have metal inside ithem, and there has been zero droop. Given the choice, personally, I'd take Master Replica over Tomy in a heartbeat. The MR looks gorgeous from every angle (no plugs or seams) and has one simple metal pole holding up the model instead of that rat's nest the Tomy shipped with.

May we ask how much they're being offered to you for? I'm curious what the going rate is.

Really similar price for each??? You're kidding? The TOMY E must either have really gone up in price or the MR E has dropped. I have been seeing some MR E's for very low prices of late though those were damaged and some electronics were not working perfectly...still working but not perfect.

Can you get both? If not it is a very tough call. The MS E is very much loved by the community. Wish I had bought one all those years ago but i was still in school.

Now I'm really happy with my TOMY. The details are tremendous and the paint job is exceptional IMO. The Die Cast is very cool. The shuttle bay alone is worth the price of admission.

That being said I think the MR is more like a real studio model and the TOMY with it's seams less like. The seams don't bother me for the overall presentation is fantastic but if you are a stickler for details go with the MR. It's the OG of the classic TOS! But either way you can't lose!

Good luck!
As far as the US market, there's still a pretty big galactic barrier between the two ships on eBay.

Scanning the sold auctions, an MR in good shape will run you about 5k, while the Tomy is currently flirting with the 2K mark.

As far as the US market, there's still a pretty big galactic barrier between the two ships on eBay.

Scanning the sold auctions, an MR in good shape will run you about 5k, while the Tomy is currently flirting with the 2K mark.
Yes not US market - both are in the $1.8k range

Yes not US market - both are in the $1.8k range

Can you get both? If not it is a very tough call. The MR E is very much loved by the community. Wish I had bought one all those years ago but i was still in school.

Good luck!
Thanks - it's a tough decision, like I say I like the die cast, bridge and shuttle bay of the Tomy but the MR lacks the seams and looks to have a slightly kinder paint job with the rust detail not being as pronounced (and will be easier for me to get as it's in country vs importing from the US)

I love my Tomy. If seams are an issue for you, get the MR. Some go nuts over scenes and some, like me, don't. If they don't bug you the Tomy if fun, metal, etc.

If they bug you get the MR, especially if they are the same price.

It seems like a low price for a MR???

I love my Tomy. If seams are an issue for you, get the MR. Some go nuts over scenes and some, like me, don't. If they don't bug you the Tomy if fun, metal, etc.

If they bug you get the MR, especially if they are the same price.

It seems like a low price for a MR???
Me I’ve been seeing some low prices recently. Yes some had damage but others didn’t…some as low as 1300…nor sure what the drop is due too.

Really tempted to get the one on EBay that eventually went for 1300. The antenna on the deflector dish broke off but some glue would fix that. One rotating bussard would get stuck occasionally, but everything else worked. But I already have the TOMY, and there were other expenses and commitments I had to make so it was a no go.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back