Dexter's Kill Bag and Tools

I'm not trying to be argumentative saying this, but I'm not stopping anyone from doing anything.

I'm also not happy that I'm being portrayed as doing something wrong. Nick, I don't want to belittle all you've done with this design, but I see this knife as a group design. We've all added our two cents, and the knife is better for it.

I'm not portraying you as doing anything wrong. I simply meant that since much of the collaboration for this occurred through emails, off of this board, and much of it before you were brought on board, it would have been nice to have been asked.

If you had, I would have given my full support, like you have now. I spent all that time designing because I want to see this knife come to fruition so badly. So by all means, do it, and make it incredible!

I really appreciate and respect all that you've put into this project, and thank you for addressing this with me, head on.

So let's get all of that behind us, and see some more knife progress! To my eye, it's looking great so far. Once the finishing is done, this thing is going to look killer! ;) Got any more pics?

Can't wait to see this as it comes along.

-Nick

PS: Is that table you're displaying the handle on from Ikea? I think I may have the same one if it is. :p

Pinder - I don't have one, but I've been thinking about getting a sandblasting cabinet. I think you can get those vibrating polishers at harborfreight pretty inexpensively, might look into that too. I just dont know if these will fit!

Nick - I'm glad we've worked that out. I've seen alot of your posts around here, and have respected you for a while. The table is from wal-mart, but I bet it's the same one. Pretty stylish, and cheap, in price and quality! EDIT:http://www.walmart.com/ip/3-Piece-Parsons-Accent-Table-Set-Black/12565706
... this thing is going to look killer!
Pun intended?

DP - Sadly, I don't think there will be any more pictures for a few days. I might be able to salvage the blade blank, but it would be tough. I'm sure I'll have some progress with being able to cut the blades, but probably nothing worth taking pictures of.

Last edited:
heard nothing yet bro :thumbsdown

Anyone know someone else who might be interested in making the small bone saw?

Just got my Large Saw in. Once the Kill Knife gets here, my bag will still be incomplete.
407cfcbc.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, people. I arrived to the forum via Google, and I want you to know that I'm willing to elp you guys on anything I can on the making of Dexter's kill bag. I see that you're having problems finding a large bone saw, and I can think of two solutions, which I'm tring to deploy: first is, modify a bone saw purchased on the Internet and the other one is to ask a medic friend, in case you have one. I've been looking in Manufacturers, Suppliers, Exporters & Importers from the world's largest online B2B marketplace-Alibaba.com for large bone saws and there are a few that could be modified to our needs; they all come from China and you can find Satterlee saws, their quality is pretty good. What I'm also thinking is, my cousin is a surgical instrument technician, mayba I could get some from her. I'll call her later today to ask if she can get me some, and I'll share the info with you, if she can give me a provider name or the saws themselves.

One last thing: I'd like to use DrewSmith007's CAD images to make my Kill Knife, so 'm requesting authorization from you, if it's ok. I'm thinking on making it as a single piece, my dad has a turnery and I think I could one all by myself. What do you think on using steel as the steel type for the knife? Tell me your opinions.

And thank you all for this thread itself, I decided to get my own kill bag because of you.

Cheers from Argentina,
Manu

Hey, guys.

Thanks for making and contributing to this thread, I've decided to make my own kill bag. I'm thinking on modifying a bone saw like the ones in www.alibaba.com (search surgical bone saw and you'll see) and if my cousin, who's a surgical instrument technician can get me a couple o saws or a retailer for them, I'll absolutely share it with you. Also, I want to make m own Kill knife. I can do it in one piece, but I don't know if Dex's knife has a separate handle or is an one-piece knife. I'm thinking on 100 model stainless steel and to give it a chemical polish to look just like Dex's knife. Tell me what you think on this setup, and thank you again.

Cheers from Argentina!
Manu

Last edited:
Yeah, the picture you emailed me was used for the outline of the blade and handles. I tweaked a few things in the 3D parts, like my fillets are elliptical and extend much further towards the middle of the handle.

Pitbull, you did have a good point, we do need to get the design finalized.

The overall length is 13.200"

The blade is 1/8" Stainless steel, havn't decided on grade yet. Most likely 304. These won't hold an edge very well.

The handles are 1/4" Aluminum, 6061.

Is there anything that looks out of place with these?

[...]

I'll scroll through the thread and see if I can find some comparison photos. I'll add them in here if I find them.

Hey, I'd like to use these images as the base for my Kill knife. Do I count with your authorization, Drew? Thanks in advance.

And I meant model 1008 stainless steel, it's the metal density if I recall correctly.
It's actually more of a reference to the chemical composition of the material.

For those who don't already know, as a general rule the element that makes one type of steel harder than another is carbon. The higher the carbon content, the harder the steel; the lower the carbon content, the softer the steel (as supplied by the mill, that is). Hardness (and other) properties can be altered somewhat by heat treating, but you're still limited by the carbon content.

1008 is considered to be a relatively soft steel (or what is known in the steel industry as a "mild steel") because it has a carbon content of .08%. It will be fine if you're planning to use it as a display item only, but if you're planning to actually use it as a knife it will be difficult to sharpen and won't hold an edge well.

If you're planning to use it as a knife, 440C stainless steel would be a much better choice. It's more expensive because of the other alloy elements added (which increase corrosion resistance and wear resistance), but it's also considerably stronger than 1008 because it has a higher carbon content (approximately 1.2%), which makes it easier to sharpen and holds an edge better.

Regardless of which steel you choose, remember there is a difference between "annealed" (softer) and "hardened" (harder) steel. Annealed steel will be easier to machine, but harder to sharpen; hardened steel will be much more difficult to machine, but easier to sharpen and will hold an edge better. Hardened steel will also be more expensive because of additional processing. Again, it all depends on how you're planning to use it.

Last edited:
1008 isn't stainless though. I'm sure it will look OK, but it will need something to keep it from rusting.

I've been thinking about what it would take to cut these blades out of a softer steel, then have them hard chrome plated. I think it would give them the right look, and be MUCH easier to machine.

Last edited:
^ You're right, it isn't. I've been out of the industry for too many years, and my memory has gotten a bit fuzzy. :unsure

And since it isn't, it would have to be plated to keep it from rusting.

Yeah yeah, 440C is too expensive here, I can't afford it. And it will be for displaying, no actual use, in a display box. Maybe i can find a better steel, hehe. Thank you!

If I were you, I would try polishing some of your 1008 to see what it looks like. I think it would probably do just fine.

I think the toughest part will be cutting it out of one solid piece. Can you even find 1008 in 5/8" thickness?

If I were you, I would try polishing some of your 1008 to see what it looks like. I think it would probably do just fine.
Initially, yes. But it would still have to be plated or painted to keep it from rusting because it doesn't have the corrosion-resistant properties of stainless steel. I've seen freshly sandblasted mild steel start to rust after only 30 minutes.

So, I finally got around to finishing season 5, and I may not be the first to notice this, but...

The knife in the foot is a new one to me...

NewKnife.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back