Dexter Season Six (SPOILERS)

I had the opposite reaction, actually.

To me, this represents a backslide in Dexter's development as a character, and an annoying one at that. I had similar problems with Six Feet Under, ironically. Basically, it bugs the hell out of me when characters start to slowly begin to change, and then just say "Nah, screw it. I'm gonna be the same F-up I always was."

My issue with Dexter for the last few seasons has been that each season seems to leave the character treading water and not really developing. And it always seems to follow the same arc: Dexter starts in a so-so or not-good place, Dexter gets a little glimmer of hope that maybe he can make his life work somehow, and at the end of the season he says "Nah, I'm a monster," and we're RIGHT BACK WHERE WE STARTED AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SEASON.

Oh, wait, actually, maybe Dexter will just go COMPLETELY off the deep end here. So, in that sense, it'd be different.

I dunno. While the promise of dark thrills and wanton destruction has some appeal to it in an "immediate gratification" sense, it strikes me as a cop out, writing-wise.

Hey, look, you were wrong.
That's what you get for assumin'.

I believe that Gellar is also Travis' split personality, I would be surprised if he wasn't.

Remember the waitress from earlier in the season, she didn't even look once at Gellar when she was tied up. Also on this past Sunday's episode when Dexter was at the church and Travis looked up at Gellar on the floor above, by the time Dexter looked up he was gone. I find it kind of odd that Dexter didn't even get a glimpse of him.

Those are just a couple of examples, I am sure there is plenty more. The only thing that I can think of that supports him being alive is when Travis phoned him.

Good points Great1. Also Travis saw Deb outside his sisters. Geller appears and dissapears randomly and even "in his house" when he was getting it on with the waitress. And she didnt look at him when they were having lunch. Also Dex seeing his brother was prolly to shadow this all to viewers. Collin Hanks did say in a interview he got into some pretty dark stuff at the end.

Im sure miami metro will learn Geller has been deceased for a while or somthing. This may be why Holly was blind folded and the jogger wasnt. She only heard Travis reffer to Geller and "felt" 2 diffrent people, an aggressive and weaker person.
Just theorys...

Last edited:
they did make a point of showing Brian stabbing the guy with the pitchfork too...sort of foreshadowing how the person can imagine how things are happening to fit the fantasy. basically Fight Club lol

I think Gellar was killed by Travis and because it is a sin to murder someone, Travis has convinced himself that Gellar is still alive. The women that Travis released said there was 2 men but it is very possible that Travis was doing 2 voices. Psycho with Norman Bates pretending to be his mother is a very similar story.

they did make a point of showing Brian stabbing the guy with the pitchfork too...sort of foreshadowing how the person can imagine how things are happening to fit the fantasy. basically Fight Club lol

Personally, I think that was an inner-episode device, but you never know when it could be re-used, I suppose.

This. This could be interesting.

I must know who was on the other end of that phone call.
SHE'S CROOKED.

Maybe Batista? He wasnt at the crime scene. He has a history with prostitutes. The only person I can think of that she would do a favor for.

Does Masuka's intern seem off to you guys?

Maybe Batista? He wasnt at the crime scene. He has a history with prostitutes. The only person I can think of that she would do a favor for.

Does Masuka's intern seem off to you guys?

I think it's Deputy Chief Matthews, we know LaGuerta blackmailed her way to Captain and I think if he goes down then she goes down as well.

I will be SHOCKED if it was Matthews on the other end of the phone since he has always been an honest man. Batista on the other hand, did turn down a invite from Quinn to a strip club, and he also said at Comic Con (i believe) that he and La Guerta's relationship is spicy this season, not so much yet, but somethin could come out soon. I really want to know who was on the end of that phone call. She is a cold hearted ***** as Bertrum (sp?) said back in season 2
I think it's Deputy Chief Matthews, we know LaGuerta blackmailed her way to Captain and I think if he goes down then she goes down as well.

I think that when Travis saw the gun on Deb he knew that his sister talked to the police. Then his "Inner Gellar" killed his own sister for talking to the cops. Gellar still hasn't been seen by anyone else other then Travis. It's painfully obvious now.

On the one hand, that seems a bit of a stretch to me, and a bit too "Fight Club." On the other hand, given some of the dubious choices this show has made in the past....yeah, I could see it.

My concern is that this season is going to leave us treading water again with Dexter's character. Nothing seems to change him, really. No encounter has a major effect on him internally. The world changes around him, but he remains the same guy, or if he changes, only very very slightly.

I dunno. I enjoy the show and all, but for me it's dropped to True Blood levels of me caring. It's entertaining, sure, but it doesn't seem to live up to its potential in my eyes.

well when you have been a serial killer for so long you tend to not really change much, can try but would be difficult i imagine. but i think something may happen this season.

There's already been some measure of change, at least in terms of his inner dialogue.
Brother Sam put him in touch with something within himself he thought was gone.

Rather than using the killing to feed the dark passenger, he has a new frame of reference for spreading the light.

Yeah, and I definitely appreciate that. I hope that actually is a permanent and perhaps more profound change than what we've seen thus far. But that said, they've done this kind of thing in the past where some seemingly hugely meaningful thing will occur, and then next season, it's like "Eh, forget that. We've got new big stuff."

I am, however, glad that the "ZOMG!!! WILL HE GET CAUGHT?!" thing has toned down. If it's there, it's much more in terms of laying the groundwork for his eventual fall (IE: leaving Jonah alive, the guy at the motel in Nebraska -- especially since Deb found the pen...).

I do love what they're doing with Deb this year, though, and I'm finding LaGuerta to be even more sinister than in the past.

"Get Gellar" - what an incredible episode! What a twist! I love it! They are playing the Norman Bates angle which I really like.
Curious to see what's going to happen with that ice truck killer hand....

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back