Dewback_Rider's ANH Macrobinocular Build

Re: Dewback_Rider's Luke ANH Macro Build

I was looking through a few images and have come to the conclusion that the transition box used on the original prop seems to have been smaller, not much taller than the Eumig body.

Many of the builds I have seen show the box sticking way out on the side with the belt clip.

These images seem to suggest that it was much smaller.

What are your thoughts?

MACROS%20smaller%20viewer%20mount.jpg

Macros2%20b.jpg

fixer%202.jpg

Here's one from a build that seems to make it much taller.

MACRO%20EXAMPLE.jpg

I was looking through a few images and have come to the conclusion that the transition box used on the original prop seems to have been smaller, not much taller than the Eumig body.

Many of the builds I have seen show the box sticking way out on the side with the belt clip.

What are your thoughts?

Aye, small.

Yes smaller :cool Not much wider than the viewfinder itself.

Also mind the mount, notice that hangs off a bit on the mystery box side. You can see a screw head there.

Does anyone have the STUNT and HERO images they can post in here for side-by-side comparison? Maybe the transition boxes were different for each?

What are your thoughts?

MACROS%20smaller%20viewer%20mount.jpg

Macros2%20b.jpg

How are you coming with your progress?

Does anyone know what is going on with the transition box in the small photo above? I cannot make out the curved side, and there is some weird angle on the switch side.
Was this another variant?

Also do we know for sure that the black lens portion of the eumig was removed for mounting the transition box? In the small photo you can make out the black tab.
When I look at killdozer's photo the appearance of overhang where the screw head is, can be achieved if the transition box is mocked up with the eumig lens portion intact.

After a hiatus, I have picked up a transition box and clip for mounting my kalimar viewer, so the game is back on.

No progress on locating the identity of the side box, and while I have been away, there was a discovery of a side box on the transtition piece?? What's that? Any info?

I have solid, one-piece resin lenses (grey resin) to detail and would love to hear any insight into what silver and colored paints any of you have used for detailing your resin lenses, the ones I have seen look great!

Also, does someone mold/make authentic Kalimar thumb buttons for adding to the lenses?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Ok, what's the concensus about keeping this little protruding piece of metal and mounting the transition box below it, or dremeling it away and mounting it flush as shown here:

MACRO 1.png

MACRO 2.png

MACROS 3.png

I cannot see that they would have milled that away?

So I just received my Eumig and won't have the money until after the first of the year to get the other cameras or possibly some replicas of parts so I figured I'd start with the transition box since I have some thin aluminum laying around.

I have looked through and read most of the threads on the Macro build and had some questions concerning the transition box that were previously discussed here.

1. The template, as previously discussed here, seems to create the box that is larger, width-wise, than the photos referenced above. Was a newer template created or did we decide that the template as is was the standard? It looks as if the flat part where the viewfinder attaches could only be the size it is do the diagonal portion would have to be shortened, is this correct?

2. In the photo of Fixer and Camie, are we seeing the stunt or Hero? It looks as if the transition box is deeper from the Eumig to the viewfinder than the template is. If its the stunt version that is deeper, I'll stick with the less deep hero version that the template offers.

I am sure I will have more questions as I get further into the build.

Unless someone here is offering transition boxes, the best way to start with this is to have the Kalimar viewer and work from that. HB1098S was talking of making some but not sure where that is now. I actually had been penning down what I thought would work but those drawings could be anywhere now as everything in the house got moved round for Christmas.

I am still going to have the T boxes, belt clips, and other parts laser cut. Give me till the new year and I'll have more info, thanks

Unless someone here is offering transition boxes, the best way to start with this is to have the Kalimar viewer and work from that. HB1098S was talking of making some but not sure where that is now. I actually had been penning down what I thought would work but those drawings could be anywhere now as everything in the house got moved round for Christmas.

I am still going to have the T boxes, belt clips, and other parts laser cut. Give me till the new year and I'll have more info, thanks

So I am on HB1098S's interest list, but that is not why I resurrected this thread so unless you are heloing with the abive questions, move along... move along.

Can anyone speak to the inconsistencies of the sizing in the photos?

Fixer is holding 'stunt'. Totally different camera.

Is this thread now dead as I'm interested in the results is this build as I'm slowly collecting parts for my own build as well as in the process of building my Vader reveal but in the meantime I was going to build the Tbox but don't see a final decision on the size of it.

is there anybody still at this ?

Hi guys, I'm sorry it's been so long, but I was taking care of my sick father (for about 3 years in and out of hospitals and physical rehab centers), and then he passed away, and I was working through his estate and the sale of my childhood home - Very heavy stuff if you haven't gone through it.

With that said, I had still been collecting pieces for the build, and now have almost everything needed to complete it.

I don't think I showed them previously in the thread, but here are the smaller harvested knobs needed for atop the transition box, and for the side of the macros:

0big knobs.png0small knobs.png

Also, I was able to score not one, but TWO authentic Kalimar Kaligar 1:28 f=80mm lenses:

0lens1.png0lens2.png0lens3.png

- - - Updated - - -

I also had a day this past Fall where the weather was nice, so I decided to work on my build on the patio table.

I mounted the knobs to the transition box, and the box to the Eumig.

I also carefully drilled out the holes for mounting the larger side knobs. This is what it looked like when I finished for the day:

0M1.png0M2.png0M3.png0M4.png0M5.png0M6.png

- - - Updated - - -

I mounted the lens rings in the lens mounting plate, screwed in the lenses, and placed them in position, taking a few pics to see what it would look like:

0ML1.png0ML2.png0ML3.png

I am still wrestling with the best way to attach the lens mounting plate to the Eumig.

Can others please post in with their methods? Pictures would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

I have also been thinking about the mysterious, unknown, unidentified "dark side of the moon" black greeblie.

Since we don't know what it was, or exactly what it is supposed to look like, I think I have decided to fashion something myself - creating a base, and adding these circled black plastic parts from the macros I made as a kid - to honor the creativity of my childhood, and tie me to the excited energy of that time:

macro retro.png

Also, for anyone looking to start this build, this is a collection of the pieces you will need (not my photo) :

0partsneeded.png

I am planning on trying to modify my belt clip to mount on the Eumig, and still leave access to the release button into the Eumig body - has anyone done that? PLease post in and share how.

This is super cool, and I 200% approve of the use of bits of your old macros! Though I'd kinda want to leave that relic intact. Seeing your childhood props makes me happy, you were obviously destined for this!

I am still wrestling with the best way to attach the lens mounting plate to the Eumig.

Can others please post in with their methods? Pictures would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back