What's the number on the Kaligar lenses?

Cadger

I've been collecting parts for a macrobinocular build for quite some time now. I just now started to wonder about the F-(?)number on the Kaligar lens from the Kalimar six sixty camera. My lens is marked with "No.F T83984". I have until now believed that the number was a part number, but looking at pictures of 1:2.8 f=80mm lenses online I find several different numbers. And I have also seen a couple of lenses with the same number also. So i don't think it's a serial number either.

So what is this number?

Attachments

• kalimar.jpg
    kalimar.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 63
That is the f number. I called out the focal length (80mm), because it was pertinent to explaining the
f-number.

I guess I don’t understand how you are saying the F/stop number is FT83984. The numbers don’t seem to jive with the normal nomenclature. I’m not a photographer, just trying to understand your post.

I always thought it was the lens serial number. Most camera equipment is serialized.
That would make sense to me. I would have to dig all of mine out but I don’t believe any of the FT numbers are the same. On the one that’s handy, it’s FT83686 with the same lens info as the OP lens.

I’m probably wrong about the f number. I just read up a bit more and it indeed doesn’t seem to fit the nomenclature. Sorry.

That would make sense to me. I would have to dig all of mine out but I don’t believe any of the FT numbers are the same. On the one that’s handy, it’s FT83686 with the same lens info as the OP lens.
I said I've seen the same number. But the photo I saw with matching numbers seems to actually be (very well made and painted) resin casts. That will explaind the same number. So I think it's probably a serial number after all.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back