Destiny Warlock Build

Igniitus

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I was lucky enough to grab a great cast of the CHROMA VOW Helmet from Destiny, produced by Gary Sterley Studios...

Here's a pic of his final version... it's a great cast.

(APOLOGIES if the pictures post oddly, using Tapatalk.)

uploadfromtaptalk1424726930162.png

So far all I've done is basic sanding and trimming, and have removed the area for the lens. I'll be using a Hobart lens when it arrives later this week. My oversized noggin also required me to remove the rear back of the helmet a La an Ironman helmet, I'll reattach with fabric and magnets later.

uploadfromtaptalk1424727050277.jpg

Follow my progress as I occasionally sand, prime, sand, prime, curse, prime, paint, rinse repeat!

I'll be going Dead Orbit for those fans of the game out there...

Dead orbit is got the best looking shaders in my opinion. cant wait to see your progress. :)
Thanks, I've put out a few inquiries about getting the logo 3d printed for the Armband/Warlock Bond, trying to decide on 3d printing or Sculpey...

uploadfromtaptalk1424731280913.jpeg

Hi Igniitus, I am new to the RPF forum but have been on the 405th as a lurker for a while and a member for about a month :)

I saw your thread and wanted to say hi as I am doing a similar thing but I am Using Garys very helpful videos to make and cast my own Warlock helmet, very similar to the one he made but with some differences of my own.

I look forward to seeing your finished painted item.

Are you going for a full costume? I have a lot of fabric and a sewing machine...but no idea...this may end badly :)

Hi Igniitus, I am new to the RPF forum but have been on the 405th as a lurker for a while and a member for about a month :)

I saw your thread and wanted to say hi as I am doing a similar thing but I am Using Garys very helpful videos to make and cast my own Warlock helmet, very similar to the one he made but with some differences of my own.

I look forward to seeing your finished painted item.

Are you going for a full costume? I have a lot of fabric and a sewing machine...but no idea...this may end badly :)
I'm planning on doing the full costume... and I share your dread of fabric.

I was thinking of trying to find a passable duster or trench coat online, and then altering it with quilted fabric at the bottom corners and on the chest area to give the clear indicator as to what it is. Going to add some Starlord esque valves, cut the sleeves shorter, and use a ton of leather straps pouches and ammo.

The great thing about destiny is that there are so many different garments and shaders that you can take the basic premise and still clearly be a member of that universe if you deviate... At least that's what I keep telling myself.

I am going to try and stay true to the gloves and gauntlets using EVA foam, there are tons of great tips from WM Armory.

More sanding, and a few sprays of Gunmetal in key places.

uploadfromtaptalk1425036781968.jpguploadfromtaptalk1425036805168.jpguploadfromtaptalk1425036825269.jpguploadfromtaptalk1425036839800.jpg

With Flash:

uploadfromtaptalk1425036860340.jpguploadfromtaptalk1425036873062.jpg

Going to give it a few days before masking and starting the white sections. In the meantime, I have some inside/underneath sanding to do to prep the the lens placement, etc. Then, I'll weather the front and other metallic sections, using a fine grit to sand off the Gunmetal and reveal the silver underneath.

Looking great!
Thanks good Sir!

I'm hesitant to go buy the white paint... because I know I'll want to spray it right away and I feel like I should give the metal coat a few days to cure.

My plan is white next after masking what remains metallic, then adhering a decal to the dome for where the white emblem shows through the black, then the black.

Anyone have any advice how long I should let the metal coat sit for before masking and moving on?

...had an unfortunate event in where the paint labeled "white metallic' was actually a pearl clearcoat...

Hopefully by tomorrow or the next day I'll be back to where I was at

uploadfromtaptalk1425914831977.jpg

Progress!! Or as I like to call it, "I am terrible at painting"

Thank goodness that's it just going to be a weathered helmet... Because I feel like for every step forward I take, I create two more mistakes to correct.

uploadfromtaptalk1425914951403.jpguploadfromtaptalk1425914979250.jpg

Going to let this set... then tape off and do the black on the cowl. THEN I will begin the actual intended weathering, and see where we're at.

Also... anyone on Tapatalk know why it won't upload pictures in the intended orientation? Even when I flip em they come out at solid as my painting skills. .

Looking good there boss.

Far further on than I am, I should have just bought one of Gary's helmets too, would have been cheaper hehe.

Looking good there boss.

Far further on than I am, I should have just bought one of Gary's helmets too, would have been cheaper hehe.
Thanks for the kind words Sir!

Got to lay the gloss black, really happy with where I'm at.

I have some cleanup along some of the paint seams and I'm going to give the white another light pass of pearl, then I'll feel good with it. Then comes the weathering and the stencil for the Dead Orbit Logo.

Enjoy crooked photos!

uploadfromtaptalk1426107947352.jpguploadfromtaptalk1426107971587.jpguploadfromtaptalk1426107994720.jpguploadfromtaptalk1426108022157.jpg

Success!!!

The lens is not permanently attached, just taped in for the pics.

I have to detail the back and the piece I cut off still, then figure out magnets and such to attach it.

And now... sleepytime.

uploadfromtaptalk1427001148980.jpguploadfromtaptalk1427001164412.jpguploadfromtaptalk1427001175520.jpguploadfromtaptalk1427001208978.jpguploadfromtaptalk1427001188627.jpg

Very swish, 'm catching up slowly hehe. HEAPS still to do.

Interested in how you will make your armour pars, are you using foam etc for shoulders?

Very swish, 'm catching up slowly hehe. HEAPS still to do.

Interested in how you will make your armour pars, are you using foam etc for shoulders?
That's the plan.

I'll use EVA for the bracers and shoulders, the warlock is mostly a fabric build, so I'll be using a lot of greeblies/pouches/etc as well.

Did some more weathering.... tried to keep the 'direction' uniform, as if the constant forward sparrow momentum had weathered the paint away.

EDIT: I HATE this stupid app.

uploadfromtaptalk1427514715078.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back