Destiny Mida-Multi Tool

shadowhunter23

I decided to create one of my favorite weapon designs in Destiny, the Mida-Multi Tool. It's a simplistic design with a cool looking sensor screen on the side. I decided to 3d print the gun, but I was not able extract the 3d files from the game. So I used Blender 3D to create the gun.

This is one of my reference photos I used.
IMG_0253.JPG

Using Blender I started with the base parts.
IMG_0254.JPG

After 40 hours, I was able to finish the details.
IMG_0255.JPG

I then sliced up the model to fit the pieces on my MakerBot Replicator 2x.
IMG_0256.JPG

The part I printed. But after printing 4 parts, I realized it was slightly smaller than I needed. I adjusted the scale to print 10% larger and it was a better size.
IMG_0225.JPG

1/3 of parts printed
IMG_0231.JPG

2/3 finished print
IMG_0236.JPG

all parts printed.
IMG_0240.JPG

I was really happy with the size. It came out at a little over 2 feet long.

Last edited:
nice! But man, is that gonna be tough to clean up and blend away the seams. You've got a 2x, pretty big build platform, you could probably do that split down the middle lengthwise and the separated it along feature lines, and then you only really have the middle seam to clean up.

Thanks. This is my first attempt to design a prop from the ground up. I'm still new to 3d printing and any advice helps. I try to keep the pieces a certain size because I'm still dealing with warping. I'm still playing around to help minimize it. The seams will take some time, I'm currently working on it now and will post more pics soon. When I designed it, I separated each main part and cut it based on what I thought would give me the least chance of warping or at least minimize it. Cleaning up the seams won't be too bad, I use a dremel to rough out the edges. Then I use apoxie sculpt to fill in gaps and smooth out the seams. Then I'm going to cover the parts with xtc-3d to smooth out the print lines. I'm grateful to a friend who recommended SMoothOn's XTC-3d, it cut most of the time I spend to smooth out print lines.

Made some great progress. Used some resin to bond the pieces and applied some apoxie sculpt to to fill holes. I then did some rough sanding to smooth things out. i got most of the pieces covered with XTC-3d. Hopefully I'll be able to finish sanding by the end of the weekend.

10904444_10206154897576957_3995868993944464647_o.jpg

Very cool! I love this gun. Will you be making it with the option to light the screen?

Made some great progress. Used some resin to bond the pieces and applied some apoxie sculpt to to fill holes. I then did some rough sanding to smooth things out. i got most of the pieces covered with XTC-3d. Hopefully I'll be able to finish sanding by the end of the weekend.

View attachment 428121

the screen was hallowed so that I can use a clear resin with a led encased in it. But after working with XTC-3d some more, I decided just to fill it with that. The XTC-3d when cured is translucent. With a little 100 grit sand paper it will be perfect and can light up properly. I'll then add a decal with screen info.

I am blown away. Totally awesome man.

I remember thinking a compass with the NSEW removed and a decal or two applied instead would make a great sensor

Absolutely stunning work!
i haven't made the jump into 3d printing yet but this is an inspiration.

i take it the XTC-3d smoothes out the print lines making it easier to finish?

Thank you for the compliments.

Nexus 6- Yes XTC-3d speeds the smoothing process greatly. Before I would use Apoxie sculpt to fill the lines. It would take days to do. and plus it would be messier and can cause issues with small details. With XTC-3D, I just need to lay a couple of layers to be safe and then smooth with 220 grit and finish it with 400 grit sandpaper. So I could have piece done in one day.

This is my go to primary in the game (behind TLW;)), great stuff! Any plans to make them available to Destiny fans?

thats some great work. my question is on splitting the model into useable pieces. Care to give a walkthrough on cutting it, I would love to beable to split some larger STLs for my printrbot.

thats some great work. my question is on splitting the model into useable pieces. Care to give a walkthrough on cutting it, I would love to beable to split some larger STLs for my printrbot.

Thanks Ataris. With my Mida Tool, I modeled the gun in parts instead one large piece. The program I used is Blender 3D. But even those parts were to large or inconvenient to print. So I use a second program Netfab Basic. NetFab basic was a lot easier to slice STL objects into small pieces. Here is a link to the free basic.

http://www.netfabb.com/downloadcenter.php?basic=1

Here is my basic workflow.
1. So exported each part into a separate STL.
2. I import the STL file into Netfab basic.
3. I can then use the slice tool to slice the object using the X,Y,Z axis. I can also position where the slice will be along those axis.
4. once the slice is positioned correctly, you us the execute cut button.
5. You should now have 2 separate objects.
6. Right click on each object and export it with a unique name.

The smaller objects should now have there own stl file you can use on your printer software. Hope this helps.

Ive had trouble with Netfabb.......I guess i need to struggle a little more :) I really want a free tool that can do dovetail cuts. But we cant have it all

Apologies for necro-ing the thread, just wanted to say that this model looks great. I've been looking for something I can 3D print for my own hunter costume. Sent you a private message, shadowhunter23, hopefully this isn't too stale that you won't see it. :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back