Delete thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Robo3687's IRON MAN Mark 4/6 Pepakura FOAM Templates -Easy to Build "Green" Versi

It's really easy to cut out the paper templates since there are no tabs.

The thing is, you still need to tape some paper pieces together to get an idea of scaling before you go full out with the foam.

Cutting directly with that machine could waste a lot of foam and is still only theoretic at the moment.

A perfect post to quote as I post these pics. What I did was print out the foam templates stealth put together and cut them out. I taped a few of them together - not all but enough to get the overall shape and see if it fits. I'm posting some pics for you guys to take a look and tell me what you think. It doesn't help that I'm wearing a white tshirt and its a pic from my camera, but you get a sense. I think it'll be fine, but wanted to get some feedback before I went into the foam. Let me know your thoughts...

SprintPhoto_bi341p.jpg

SprintPhoto_bo5m0p.jpg

SprintPhoto_brjg1p.jpg

SprintPhoto_bx1z2p.jpg

Re: Robo3687's IRON MAN Mark 4/6 Pepakura FOAM Templates -Easy to Build "Green" Versi

Lenew, those look perfect. However, they're out of stock and the price is equal to about $15 per metre sq, n then 20% tax andcost of delivery. A little our of my feeble price range. Thank you for taking the time to look for me though. Happily though you have provided me with some new potential search terms.

I went to Lowes and they only had the square floor mats that say they are 12mm. I thought we were working with 3-6mm foam mats - so I guess I'll have to special order. Oh well.

I went to Lowes and they only had the square floor mats that say they are 12mm. I thought we were working with 3-6mm foam mats - so I guess I'll have to special order. Oh well.

You can get large 46x96in 6mm(1/4" inch) sheets at Big Lots or Sears.

Hey 7sinzz a bit late I suppose but I like to use Fommies 6mm foam sold at Jo Anne fabric stores and other craft stores online.Other members here have also suggested Wandy Foam sold on Ebay.I prefer to go to JoAnne just because it is like 5 minutes from my house and no shipping costs and they can order more when I need it.As far as paint you can use any kind (including auto) as long as you use what they call an adhesive promoter after the Plasti Dip.Hope this helps.Russ

Sorry dude, im in the uk. Still hunting...

Adhesive promoter sounds cool, more info on this...

What Paint does everyone else use for foam? Looking forward to stealths next video as im sure it will have the answers :)

Following this thread intently. Everything is inspiring!

Sorry dude, im in the uk. Still hunting...

Adhesive promoter sounds cool, more info on this...

What Paint does everyone else use for foam? Looking forward to stealths next video as im sure it will have the answers :)

hi mate im in the uk i used camping mats from b&q give it 3 coats on neat pva which makes it quite tough the primer paint and clear coat autopaint from halfords hope this helps

Working on a MK VI right now using these templates. It's my first build..... ever. Wish me luck.

Cheers demolition. Does the PVA glue remain waterproof in the rain though? And have you also noticed that the camping mats are rather floppy from b & q? or is it just the cheap ones ive bought off ebizzle.

just finished my own warmachine foam helmet.

P251111_1423.jpg

P251111_1424.jpg

P251111_1424_01.jpg

P251111_1425000.jpg

template used is DB's.

looks great!

looks great!

tnx j0wE. not my cleanest though. i gonna build another one after i sell this to a friend of mine who is also a warmachine cosplayer and one of don robert's friends.

Hi Guys (and gals?). Just joined after stumbling across this place while doing some research. since attempting a Build. Heres what i have so far....

I've used 8mm thick camping mats. Made the chest this Morning, but i'll probably do it again cuz its a bit rough.

Based in the UK BTW... not that it matters.

Hi Guys (and gals?). Just joined after stumbling across this place while doing some research. since attempting a Build. Heres what i have so far....

I've used 8mm thick camping mats. Made the chest this Morning, but i'll probably do it again cuz its a bit rough.

Based in the UK BTW... not that it matters.

Matters to me dude, where'd you get ya camping mats from? and how much were they? that helmet is really nice btw. i just finished doin the chest and back with 4mm camping mats.its not very sturdy but it does the job.
And which helmet file did you use?

Having a lot of trouble finding foam. The stuff Lowes and Home Depot sells is all 12mm thick. I've been advised to go for 6mm at biggest and 1/4'' thick. So I've looked online and this is the best I've found:

Amazon.com: BLUE 24 SQ Ft Pack foam interlocking mats anti fatigue exercise flooring safety gym multi purpose floor mat RC race track racetrack yoga pilates eva garage tradeshow booth retail: Sports & Outdoors

Thoughts? I'm based in the US, btw.

Having a lot of trouble finding foam. The stuff Lowes and Home Depot sells is all 12mm thick. I've been advised to go for 6mm at biggest and 1/4'' thick. So I've looked online and this is the best I've found:

Amazon.com: BLUE 24 SQ Ft Pack foam interlocking mats anti fatigue exercise flooring safety gym multi purpose floor mat RC race track racetrack yoga pilates eva garage tradeshow booth retail: Sports & Outdoors

Thoughts? I'm based in the US, btw.

You can get this foam at Sears, PepBoys, Some Walmarts, and Kmart. You'll have to check your local store though since every location has different stock. If not you can always have it shipped to you.
IMG_20111009_231258.jpg

Its what I use.
IMG_20111022_205757.jpg

Matters to me dude, where'd you get ya camping mats from? and how much were they? that helmet is really nice btw. i just finished doin the chest and back with 4mm camping mats.its not very sturdy but it does the job.
And which helmet file did you use?

Cheers mate. I've been buying camping mats from Sports direct. They're selling them half price in my Local branch for £4.99 each. Not the cheapest but im struggling to find any anywhere else for Nearly as cheap.

I bought some cheap 4/5mm thick mats from the local pound shop, but they're pretty flimsy. Much prefer the 8mm gear.

Can anyone tell me... does the PVA stage of the process add much rigidity?

Also: used a mark 6 pep file for the lid. Not Stealth's one but his looks pretty much the same. i dont bother with the slits to cut out to aid shaping the parts, not so far anyway. Just heat the foam and stretch/shape it. Personally, i've found it easier and tidier.

Last edited:

What type of glue guns are everyone using? Hi temp or low temp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back