Death Star 2 Port Attack Diorama

OTnROTSfan

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
In the early planning stages... but I have finally confirmed/selected my next large-action Star Wars diorama. I have been going back and forth on which one (of five) to go with next, then...

I was playing around the other night on a model building design and the tiny grid windows from my greeblie bin prompted an idea for a new study model/maquette... Just thrown together, so pardon the mismatched ships and off colors... you'll get my idea: :thumbsup

Hmm...
AttackonDS2DioramaStudyModel01.jpg

Quick study model buildup:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/...S2 Diorama/AttackonDS2DioramaStudyModel02.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/...S2 Diorama/AttackonDS2DioramaStudyModel03.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/...S2 Diorama/AttackonDS2DioramaStudyModel05.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/...S2 Diorama/AttackonDS2DioramaStudyModel06.jpg

Ended up with this study model:

AttackonDS2DioramaStudyModel04.jpg

This will take the next few months to design, around my work and travel schedule right now... but I think this would be a fresh and unique diorama to go with next. It has all of my requirements: action, story-telling, size, and structural elements. And I will be lighting this one... Now let's see... Studio Scale? 1-72? Hmm...

More soon... so what do you think of the idea for this one? :confused

Last edited:
Re: My Next SW Action Diorama

Bah-da bum, bah-da bump! Bah-dahhhhhhhhh daa-da-da-dut dah!!

This will look amazing!! I;m also working on somthing along these lines, but interior!

Hehe, that song plays in my head, too... yeah, I think the DS2 port hasn't gotten enough attention... and since I love doing structural models... right up my alley.

Even though 1-72 would allow ease of building all three ships... I'm still leaning towards studio scale size for the port (like the original 4' x 4' or so) and maybe using the argonauts MF... I've always wanted to build the argo one and it does have some nice detail and dimensions if you work the vinyl. Still calculating. Also, if I make the port structures in studio scale, then I'll have the pattern to do a full version of the studio scale port later on. A lot depends on the sizing of the MF that I end up using...

Hey there,
I don't want to sway your decision at all but just want to give you some options that may influence you:

At the moment I am currently building some 'more accurate' death star tiles for a personal project( a wargames table for 72nd scale spaceship battles). I have been doing 2 sizes of tiles; 3" square and 6" square which translates as about 1/4 and 1/2 studio scale. A friend is also nearing completion of a VERY nice 1/72 A-wing which I think he'll want to sell castings of when he's done.
Just thought you might like to know!!!!

Hello,

Very nice and interesting subject !

I would say, go with the 1/72 scale.

Why ? Because studio scale is impossible to do... mainly because none of those ships were done at the same scale.

Well the Falcon and the X-Wing were both 1/24 (but this is the 5 footer, not the 32", the argonaut is more like 1/48). The A-wing was bigger than 1/24, I dont know the exact scale, maybe 1/18 or 1/12 ?
The DS port hole was probably not built in any of those scales.

Hell yes, id say 1/72 scale too as a lot of your subject matter is already taken care of by Finemolds and other GK vendors!
Awesome idea, and going by what we know your capable of, this will be one hell of an amazing piece!

lee

Darn it... now I'm swaying towards 1/72 again... :lol

I keep making the same argument to myself, too... I could use any of the in-scale stuff that is out there and would make for a ton of great photos with just about any of the SW ships... Doing the real SS on the port leaves me with few options for in-scale ships.

Now you know why I built this study model... thanks and keep feedback coming... it is really helpful while I study this upcoming build!

DUUUUUUUDE! I LOVE THIS IDEA!!! (y)love:thumbsup

I will definitely be watching your progress! :cool:cool:cool:cool:cool:cool

Plus I would say 1/72 is better because you can build a large diorama, and I think (except if you will display it in a dedicated room :D) it would be better to really appreciate the scene and be able to see it in its integrity.

Well, I could just build it in the back of my truck... with the tailgate down I could get 10' x 4+'... hehe. I don't suppose I could just park my truck in a model show display area... hehe :angel

I was just thinking it would be cool to have a SS port hanging on the wall, but I agree, it would be so much cooler to have ANY of the spread of 1/72 ships attached and flying in and out. Endless pics... endless... and still plenty big to convey "heavy" scale. I did tape out a layout around one of my 1/48 MFs, but well, I might have to cut off the roof to get that one out... :unsure

1/72 it is! Thanks for all of the input. It will also force me to start my FM Falcon (finally). :confused Starting the official design in mid-Sep... Off we go!

:confused How big do you think it will end up being?

BIG :lol

That's my next decision - full port, or cut-away (like the study model I made). I think the cut-away like the study model (with some Death Star surface/tower) could be done in 4-6 feet across. I'd like to keep it in a square, but we'll see. Just has to fit through the doorway standing on end or design it in horizontal layers.

Well, after five months including three more family heart operations and cancer, a blown car engine, and a major roof repair... (deep breath) I'm finally back working on this, and a few other projects organized on my bench... :cool

First, I found a major transposed number in my original calcs and fixed that for the 1:72 and 1:144 calcs. All the time I was still torn on doing 1:72 vs 1:144 for various reasons.

Then I stopped at a store that was going out of business and found this configurable steel rack for only $25... the shelves are like little "floors" that could be detailed out individually. (and yes, the room is pink - I take whatever space the wife allows me...)

DS2_Build001.jpg

Imperial "Saw" Destroyer

... the sparks were flying, but I ended up with this:

DS2_Build024.jpg

Matches my 1-144 design pretty close, so starting creating some simple full-size prototype templates out of foam-board and threw the configurable steel sectioned shelves into it:

DS2_Build025.jpg

The lower ring won't be there once built, but is a template for designing/aligning the various vertical port structures below the top surface.

Then had a little fun with a 1:144 X-Wing...

DS2_Build027.jpg

X-Wing flyby...

and with one of my unbuilt Argo Falcons...

DS2_Build030.jpg

I have a lot of grinding and a lot more templating work to do yet. I also need to spec some MDF boards to build it. Will probably be working on the lower case next so I can roll it around. Also playing around with mirrored plastic to reflect depth into the shelf "bays". It's still in the prototype stages, but for $25 of steel... not a bad start!

And... (drum roll)... it WILL roll right through the door. :cool

More soon.

p.s. I did at least finish one model recently... an n-scale (1:160) model of a new building my company built. I donated it for Christmas. The window is reflective plastic.

Front View
Front Glass
Tiny Brickwork
Design Work

Last edited:
Re: My Next SW Action Diorama (Attack on DS2)

That is pretty cool. I really like how the rose stencils give a really good DS vibe. ;)

Honestly that is going to be awesome!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back