Deadmau5 Cheese Head - Carbon Fiber Build – (Pics inside)

mxer911

Well for the last little while I’ve been doing a fair amount of work with carbon fiber, then the request came in asking if I could do a cheese head out of carbon fiber and I figured…Why Not? What I didn't anticipate was just how long this project would take me (due to both time constraints, and learning new skills)

Torsoboy did an excellent write up on his Cheese Head build, and I certainly used some of his ideas and methods in my build.

I’m going to do my best to post up some pictures this week with some explanation as to what’s going on, but for now let’s start this thread off with a picture showing where I’m currently at in the build.

IMG_0724 by LegacyProps, on Flickr

Last edited:
I’m going to skip the parts where I formed the pits in the head, as I did exactly what torsoboy did which was to push clay thru the holes to form the rough shape, then fiberglass them in, fill with bondo, and shape.

What I’ll do is hit some of the items where mine differs from his build. So let’s start off with the ear mounting system. I wanted to eliminate the threaded stud method and move on to something alittle closer to the actual thing. What I decided to do was to mount a wooden block inside the ears, which could then be slipped into a pocket in the head itself. Once the wooden block was mounted into the ear, I shaped a piece of foam to the same width and thickness as the wooden block and then vacuum bagged some carbon fiber around the foam. This would later become the pocket that the ear gets inserted into (after being cut to length).

Here’s a shot showing the block of wood in the ear. I’ve actually changed up how I do this process now as I just use one solid piece of foam and then cut a pocket into the foam using a hot knife.

2012-10-19 14.27.12 by LegacyProps, on Flickr

This shot shows the carbon fiber rectangular tube being vacuum bagged, and the next pictures shows it after the resin has cured.

2013-05-15 21.25.25 by LegacyProps, on Flickr

2013-05-16 23.00.25 by LegacyProps, on Flickr

And this shot shows what it looks like after the rectangular tube is cut to length, the foam core is removed and then mounted into the head.

2013-05-19 01.15.47 by LegacyProps, on Flickr

To make the ear mounted system even more secure (since I have had people grab the ear while I’m wearing one of these) I also drilled a hole in the pocket, which corresponds to a thru hole in the wooden block so that I can place a bolt thru to secure them in place.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back