"Dead Island" released on Sept 6 in US/9 Worldwide!

Just prepaid for mine, will get it Tues but probably wont' be able to play until Thurs!!!! ARRRRRGHHH.. oh well, overtime rocks the paycheck.

I was really looking forward to this until I see actual gameplay, and was pretty dissapointed.. Not too mention that its coming out 2 weeks before Gears of War 3, which I will be playing everyday for atleast the next year or 2, so it wouldnt get much gameplay from me

What's wrong with the game play? It focuses mostly on melee combat, though there are limited firearms and ammo in the game. It lets you customize weapons, the bodies of the zombies aren't just one piece there are layers and sectors that if damaged affect how they can still attack and move.

Honestly, if it came out in August when it was supossed to, I probably would have picked it up, cause I would have had a whole month to play it... 2 weeks wouldn't be enough time for me, so I will get it used eventually

Last edited:
I agree with Allosaur.. the initial trailer had everyone hyped up beyond belief, but the game itself doesn't strike me as being that different from any number of other zombie games. The only big difference I see is the setting.. instead of the usual dark alleys, you get sunny Hawaii or wherever.

The melee, weapon upgrades, or body part system.. those have all been seen before.

My first impression from the gameplay videos was "Oh, it's just another FPS. Whatever." It's survival horror in a different setting. I've played Resident Evil and Silent Hill.. this doesn't bring anything new that I can see.

My first impression from the gameplay videos was "Oh, it's just another FPS. Whatever." It's survival horror in a different setting. I've played Resident Evil and Silent Hill.. this doesn't bring anything new that I can see.

So if you played "Call of Duty" then you don't ever need to play "Gears of War" because both games have people running around killing each other with guns? :confused It's got a story you've never played, it's got a setting you've never been in. Man, people are jaded these days.

Well, that would apply to every single game out there, then. This one just doesn't appeal to me, I don't see why anyone needs to get their panties in a bunch about it. If you want to play it, play it, I'm not telling you not to.

I just don't have as much time to sit down and play games, so I stick to the ones that really catch my attention. I just picked up Deus Ex: Human Revolution yesterday, that one should keep me busy for a while, probably all the way until Skyrim is released.

Picked up my copy, read through the manual but with two 12 hour days I don't expect to get to install it for a while. :( Here's a review though, sounds like a promising game, if not perfect!

Dead Island Review from GamePro

Another one positive, but admitting there are flaws (I've played few perfect video games myself): http://www.ripten.com/2011/09/06/ripten-review-dead-island-xbox-360/2/

Another: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/dead-island/review.html

So sounds like they could have used some better voice actors, a little better scripting, but hey.. still sounds like a hell of a time! The coop play sounds cool too, though I'll probably focus on playing solo for a bit.

Last edited:
I tried about 8 different stores today trying to find that damn game on Xbox but they're all sold out. They had a couple on PS3 but I want it on 360. Maybe i'll wait and pick it up after I beat GOW3, arkham city, BF3 and MW3

Just finished up about 2 hours. LOVING IT! It's not perfect, I'll grant you that. But there is a visceral thrill when you have a few zombies charging you and you get into the swing of kicking their asses! So far only one zombie type seems to own me regularly, freaking thugs that seem to take 1-2 bars of health with each hit. Graphics are very nice, though I've had mine go glitchy on me a couple of times and then fix itself. I may need to update drivers.

The mechanics of selecting weapons, repairing them (just costs $ when at a bench?), and carrying equipment is a little hokey. I think it could have been refined first. I'm not crazy about the lack of save points or options to save. I'm not even sure HOW the game saves. So I don't like that I don't have a clear way to know when it's okay to close the game without losing progress. Documentation sucks in that manner and is inexcusable from a QA perspective.

I think if anyone likes the zombie genre and likes video games they'd like this.

Oh, and there's an Oceanic plane joke of sorts in it, and you get to see a plane rushing overhead on it's way to crashing on the island. Can't wait to find the wreckage!!!

I'm going out on thursday to pick up my comics, if I see a copy still for sale, i'll probably pick it up. Hopefully it's still available for $50. I don't feel like paying $70 like some places are asking.

I'm reading the wiki and some of the characters have one thing in common: they're bitter and have done things that ruined their careers. This does sound a bit like L4D with the special zombie classes. I miss the old resident evil zombies with a few weird creature here and there.

Yeah, some of the bio-weapon creatures would be cool, but one of the cool things I've read is that sometimes you're not just fighting zombies, you have to deal with people too that have decided they are going to kill other survivors to take their supplies.

Played for about 3 hours tonight. The game isn't bad, nothing amazing. I had some freakout moment when I was attacked by 7 zombies out of nowhere. I guess we'll see how I do later on in the game. I don't forsee this being a title I replay however.

Psyched for it since the trailer....if it lives up to a third of the hype, I'll be happy as I love the genre. As long as it isn't disappointing like Dead Rising, I'm in!

It's a HELL of a lot of fun playing with another person if you get a good player. I suddenly had someone join me while playing last night and we were rocking the quests. The only thing I will recommend you be careful of is that the melee stuff has no interaction with other players, but if you throw a molotov or grenade, it WILL hurt other players.

I got it for PC and am somewhat pissed off. I am getting really tired of PC versions being the afterthought.

The default keybinds are moronic to say the least. To kick you press 'E'? What the heck? What's worse is that certain functions may be shared by one keybind, but if you go to change both of those functions to a new key it will assign the first, but when you go to assign the second it will negate the first back to 'no key assigned.' It's totally awful and I don't see how they wouldn't find that in playtesting.

Also, I don't see where they get the justification for having a button specifically for something like "Turn off Engine." I'm going to be in the middle of the game pissed off trying to remember which specific single purpose key is assigned to turn off the darn engine. Why can't I "use" the ignition? I "use" doorknobs, and suitcases, and weapons, and first aid kits, and a million other general things. At what point am I going to simultaneously going to be wondering whether I want to turn off the engine or pick up that weapon that happens to be near the steering wheel? I think I'll be able to move my reticle between the two options well enough without making the mistake. It's just completely stupid.

Suffice to say I haven't really played it yet. I can't get over that fact that you can't even properly change the keybinds. I don't care how good a story is, or how nice the graphics are, if playing it is a nightmare then the game sucks.

I was initially looking forward to this game but the mix of RPG is a bit of a turn off. I'm not a big fan of mixed genres of gameplay. It seems to be a hit and miss on whether I'll enjoy a FPS RPG. I loved Stalker but found Fallout 3 buggy and the RPG element frustrating. Now to hear that it's one of those where PC (which is my preferred platform) wasn't the main gameplay design goal is another reason to wait and see. See how quickly patches come out and wait for the price to come down.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back