Interest DaveP's 40th Anniversary Luke Hero (Interest Thread)

Lets buy plane tickets… don’t know if TSA will allow the pitch forks on the plane…
Dave is aware and doing everything he can to help. Might not be too hard to sneak past this guy to get to it. Can’t see from under the hat.

IMG_3213.jpeg

Hoping my order will leave UPS purgatory some day. Being held hostage in Castle Donington.
Chris, there’s a backlog since December, of parcels coming in and out. I sent a small parcel to the states almost a month ago and it’s only just arrived stateside. So I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

Hoping my order will leave UPS purgatory some day. Being held hostage in Castle Donington.
Hang in there. For reference, mine was dropped off at UPS in Great Britain on January 15th, departed Castle Donington, GB on January 23rd, and arrived at my doorstep here in California, USA on January 25th. And it was packed extremely well. Mine did not receive any shipping damage to the outer box, but it was padded so well within the box that it seems like it could have survived just fine even if it had heavy damage to the outer box.

My order from Dave was also held in the Dungeon at Castle Donnigan for weeks but alas it finally got sprung and made it to the states in two days. Dave's amazing packing saved my precious treasure from any harm. Don't worry; you will get your order! :)

I’m not really concerned with whether or not it will arrive. I fully expect that it will. It’s the time it seems to be taking that seems like a recurring issue. UPS Expedited International is 2-5 business days. No one should have to wait weeks. I’ve asked Dave to look into their refund policy, because shipping times are guaranteed as part of the UPS delivery service.

Dave, thank you!
I received my Hero saber today, I started collecting a few years back and never had a Luke Hero before, I was waiting for this run to happen it seems.
I am having a hard time lately with replicas I receive, but your Obi Wan last year and this Hero are perfect :)
Thank you very much for your care and for bringing really good products to the community and for actually caring about your customers, checking the parts you send, prepare everything perfectly, it really makes a difference!
thank you again :)

Anyone have a thread yet on building a reveal board out of a vintage one? Picked up a model B at a great price!

I can't tell you how exciting it is for this to finally be revealed!! (If you'll mind the pun) :)

So much has been learned about this prop since my last hero run (which only seems like yesterday!)...

The amount of work that has gone on behind the scenes on this subject is astronomical. MASSIVE props to BRRogers and Poikilotherm for their work on finding the board!

Bryan was kind enough to put me out of my misery! Having successfully whittled my list of possible candidates down to just a handful of Casio's (including the LC-785), he was kind enough to share it's ID in the hope that I might be able to get hold of one and develop an updated replica...

My own journey in discovering it's identity was a process of elimination. Having search through the various online calculator museums for internal images of calculators from the appropriate time period, it became apparent that Casio was the way to go:

View attachment 1642416

This image (Casio MC34) is the one that had me sold on Casio as the brand to look for.

From here, I drew up a list of ALL possible candidates, and then proceeded to eliminate them one by one, by finding images of the interiors where possible, or buying the ones that did not have images available...

Not only did the LC-785 NOT have a single image online showing it's PCB, it is ridiculously RARE! As you're all now going to discover for yourselves! :lol:

Anyway, a big THANK YOU to BRRogers for putting me out of my misery and letting me in on it's identity. It allowed me to find one, and work out the arrangement of the parts for myself:

View attachment 1642420
View attachment 1642422
View attachment 1642435

Poikilotherm has really gone to town on looking in to the finest of details on the PCB! Incredible work! :oops:

My own findings are very similar in regards to the arrangement of the pieces, but the wires that are laid in to the board, and the in-depth work on the soldering is fascinating stuff! :oops: And as for the internal, electronics... It just blows my mind what @Poikilothermhas accomplished with such a small space to work with!

Personally, I haven't explored this area in any great depth as it's not my area of expertise (at all!), and wasn't entirely sure it was even possible. :eek:

As for my next Hero (2023), and the current state of play on the reveal board... This is all drawn up and ready to order, believe it or not! The work on this was all done some time ago (late 2021), along with modifications to the control box. There is room/time to update the design further of course before it goes ahead, and looking forward to the discussions around what is now public information between now and then!

In order to work out the layout of the various pieces of the board, and before physically cutting up my vintage board, I cup up the board in photoshop and moved/rotated the pieces around to determine which bids were needed:

View attachment 1642431View attachment 1642433

These have been arranged in to a single board that will be printed to look something like this:

View attachment 1642426

This can then be easily broken up and assembled, along with the other components, death star brass, etc...

I'll obviously go in to much more detail closer to the time... This isn't an advertisement/announcement for any future run. My time/attention is still focussed very much on my current Obi project, and will be for the foreseeable future.

Just very excited to share some of the work that's gone on behind the scenes and contribute to this discussion now that it's no longer under wraps!

Exciting times!

:)
I know Dave has a layout of what parts to cut but I'm unsure of how I should go about cutting it up.

I'd be interested as well - DaveP indicated that there would be assembly instructions for his replica boards, but I have been unable to locate anything here on the forum or on his website. I'm sure that I could figure it out, based upon some of his pics, but it would be nice to know what he suggests for best methods.

I'd be interested as well - DaveP indicated that there would be assembly instructions for his replica boards, but I have been unable to locate anything here on the forum or on his website. I'm sure that I could figure it out, based upon some of his pics, but it would be nice to know what he suggests for best methods.
Yea I've been searching everywhere but haven't really found much. I'd guess the hardest part is the cutting and then an easy way of attachment is to simply glue them? Soldering would be ok to do as well but for something non functioning I'm probably gonna stick to the glue. When I get around to finishing the board I'll post a pic and share how I did it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back