Darth Vader Limited Edition Bronze Statue $18,000.00

Not to my taste, as Mike said - looks like the Kenner Vintage Vader face.

Regarding a work of art, yeah, but not 18K worth. Maybe it's in the eye of the beholder.

I don't ever remember an artist ever having to get a license to make art!! Can you imagine Warhol getting a Campbell's Soup license! :lol To me it goes against what art is. Basically this is an overpriced licensed sculpt and nothing more.

I personally think this is ridiculous. I know he did a Yoda and an Obiwan sculpt before.

FB

Couldn't agree more and the whole concept of limited editions is nothing more than a marketing ploy, it gives an illusion of adding value but there's no value in it really.
It's genius actually it saves the producer the cost of doing a large run and the risk of not selling all the stock and they can make a greater profit on each unit, but to the buyer it's worthless.
There's no way in the world anyone who buys these will ever see their money back.
To me it looks like a toy cast in bronze i realise art is a very personal thing but i can't see anyone really looking at this as a piece of art.

For $18K I can get me a whole lotta these:

beerandwomenkq4.jpg

Well i meet up with Lawrence Noble in UK and we had a great time. He has a fantastic daughter with a great smile. Anyway.

Lawrence makes some fantastic art. I dont know if anyone of you have seen his statues and sculpurar work.

Lawrence Noble also made the Yoda at the fountain (Skywalker Ranch)
This was the version George Lucas wanted.
yoda2.jpg

He is one of his favorite sculptors if i am not mistaken.
yoda3.jpg

Here is the Obi Wan Kenobi Sculpt.
obiwan.jpg

That in it self is worth allot to a collector or art and statues.
We should not complain about who spends 18.000 USD on a statue. Well its probalbly allot of people ripping their heads of by us using 4000 usd on a costume compared to the avrage wage we got.

The people who pay 18.000 usd for this probably make allot more money than our avrage wage anyway.

Some buy a handbuild car in limited edition. Might not be the best car to drive, but you got something unique and rare.

Lawrence Noble will be remebered in history for his work, maybe not so much for these Darth Vader statues, but i think whoever have one of these statues in the future with the knowlege of its maker and make it will gain its value.

Just think about how much the goverment or other bussinesses pay for an artist to make ONE statue... Its allot of money, but its the buyers choice to agree to the price the makers sets. And who are we to judge that price.

I give Lawrence Noble my best praises! Fantastic artist.

My favorite statue is called : Officer down... As seen bellow.
officerdown1.jpg

officerdown2.jpg

officerdown3.jpg

officerdown6.jpg

More info on Lawrence Nobles work: www.lawrencenoble.com

Everyone is assuming the cost is based on this being a Star Wars item, and that's only partially it. This is created by an actual artist who isn't just some no name. His work carries value with it just based on his name. They aren't paying for a Star Wars sculpt, they are paying for a Noble Star Wars sculpt. Just because you don't have that kind of disposable income doesn't mean others don't and have no problem dropping what to them would be chump change...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStranglove
Only to idiots.

For that you are half way to a older Ferrari.... and in the end the Ferrari will be worth more.

I strongly disagree.

Hes right TMP- I have bought and resold around 7 classic and custom cars- all of them I used and abused for a good 2-3 years, all of them I sold on for more than I bought them for. I am working on a Porsche 1960 356b coupe. Bought for £2500 in 1999, still off the road, but prob worth a hell of a lot more now.They're called 'classics' for a reason.

Like people say, each to their own. Im still struggling with my guilt of buying the new metal Hellboy Samaritan, if someone can blow 18k on a statue- Im jealous of their income, regardless of their taste in 'art'.

I would like to add that the 'Officer Down' is pretty fantastic. Maybe Darth would have benefitted from a more dynamic pose.

For 18k, you can have this.

Well, it would be better spent.

Look, as the other sculpts done by this artist are admittedly amazing, for those offended by the criticisim of the Vader sculpt, that's what the criticisim is about. Well, that and the price. It's just not that good, I wouldn't pay $180 for it. However, I would pay a substantial price for some of his other work. Why, because it's good. Hey, even Beethoven had off days.

So...there was beer in that pictu...sure enough. Bonus.

Shawn

A little Spendy, but I like it.
I have been known to buy a few things in my day that others may see as a money waste. All thise "important" movie props that regular folks would see as a crazy waste of money, so I guess I can't say anything about this. I have seen people pay large amount of money for everything from "accurate mask lenses to super accurate saber grips (when there are cheaper versions) so I guess it is worth this since people are willing to pay that much for it.

Hello Pot
? Yeah, this is Kettle... Umm... you're Black
!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back