Dark knight cowl customization and padding

alhasan89

Hello beautiful people!

I just joined the RPF and i'm very excited to be part of this joyful community!

Recently bought a dark knight cowl by IconicCollectibles on eBay, I must say I'm quite happy with the quality of the cowl, but not much about the neck piece though.

The cowl fits great over all! There is only one issue, I think my jaw is a bit too narrow/small which leaves a tiny gap down there between the tip of my jaw and the cowl that is visible from certain angles. (See attach IMG_0236.JPGed pixIMG_0240.JPGIMG_0242.JPGIMG_0244.JPG!)

The neck piece however, is a one size, did not come with mesh or velcro, and is huge! I'm pretty sure it must be cut somehow and glued on some mesh with velcro material to be wearable.

I was wondering if anyone over here could give me tips and advice on how to alter and customize the cowl and neck armor to fit me perfectly.

Your help will be appreciated!

Ammar

You could try filling the gap in the chin with some thin craft foam perhaps? It will make the strap appear a little thicker, but hopefully it won't be too visible. If it's urethane, I really wouldn't recommend this but if you need to, you can probably cut a small strip out of the center of the strap, and then super glue it back together.
Again, not recommended!

Sorry, I have no clue on the neck!

EDIT: The other posters are absolutely right, pad the forehead, not the chin. I had a brain fart! :lol

Last edited:
Try baseball batting helmet / bicycle helmet foam at the top to help push your chin into it.
Or try a balaclava to help fill in the cowl all around. Maybe that'll push your chin into it.

Thanks guys for your responses! Sorry I haven't had the chance to reply, busy times at work :S

Appreciate all your inputs, I didn't find the courage in me to do any cutting to the mask haha but the balaclava worked like a charm! Kinda feels a bit tighter on the eyes though, but i think i can live with that..

See Pix Down below!

image2.JPGimage1.JPG

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 511
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 339
Looks much better! Glad you got it to work. Maybe you could trim slightly around the eyes from the inside of the cowl. That way the outside appearance wouldn't change, but it could help with your comfort in the inside.

Hey man, just wondering what kind of type/brand of balaclava you used to help fill in the space under your cowl? I have the same issue with my cowl, tried padding it but it makes my eyes too tight with padding. Just thought I'd check out what type you got and see if it helps me as well.

Thanks guys for your responses! Sorry I haven't had the chance to reply, busy times at work :S

Appreciate all your inputs, I didn't find the courage in me to do any cutting to the mask haha but the balaclava worked like a charm! Kinda feels a bit tighter on the eyes though, but i think i can live with that..

See Pix Down below!

View attachment 522222View attachment 522221

Hey bro, I wish I had useful information on the brand for you, I just picked this up from a flea market ages ago cuz it looked cool, and finally found a good use to it! :p
It's got no branding whatsoever, it's made of thick material.
Looks like this: http://www.rodastjarnan.com/mossor-och-huvudbonader/balaclava-3-hal-svart-4916

My advise is to go to a local cycling/bikes store where you should easily find different balaclava models of different materials and choose the one that suits you best! it takes a bit of trail and error but I'm sure you'll get it sorted ;)

I found this and it seems to be the best so far:
http://allseasonscyclist.com/tag/balaclava/

Good luck!

See Pix Down below!

Glad you got it to work for you. Yeah the neck is large on them. At some point when the master is remolded the neck will be redone. The reality is it is better for it to be bigger than too small. Thats the only downside. I am the same way myself. I had to pad my own neck out as well as the cowl.
Your chin fills it out better than mine thats for sure.

The balaclava is a good idea, although depending on how it is made the face part may make it a bit heavy/warm on the inside. In a similar way I use a Coolmax Hood, used primarily under helmets when riding motorcycles in cool weather. I use this under my TDK cowl by just pulling the bottom of the opening under my chin and it works great. Also find it makes it a bit less hot in the cowl by separating the urethane from the head. Here is a link to an example of what I mean:

http://www.empirekarts.com/hjc-coolmax-hood

I picked mine up at the local motorcycle shop.

Cheers

Thanks alot bro! I'm really happy with your work owning a Batman cowl has always been a dream of mine and you helped make it come true! :)

Now for the suit, planning to get a UD replicas TDK suit, it seems like the best choice in the market now.

By the way do you happen to make resin utility belts? I'm aiming at a realistic look.

Good luck with your DOJ Cowl! Great progress on instagram. :D

Good find! I think using a balaclava is essential! It makes it easier to get the mask on/off, sucks up sweat and is washable!

It's just the thickness that you have to look at since it affects the fitting of the cowl on your head.

Thanks for your input bro! :)

See Pix Down below!

Hey brother, I JUST bought an iconics-collectibles cowl and neckpiece and it looks AWESOME on you!!! I ALSO bought a Gotham City FX mesh hood to go underneath. I NEED some feed back from you. What is your head size because it says it will fit up to a 24" head? Also, now that you have the neckpiece on, is it easy to turn your he'd and look up and down without the neckpiece getting in the way or any discomfort? Main concern is the the head size. If your head size is about the same as mine, then I won't have any problems with that hood. And the neckpiece is beautiful, just wondering about the comfort and ability to move the head.
Very Respectfully,
Derrick

Hey there Derrick,

Thanks for posting here man! I'm sorry I really haven't found alot of time to be active here any more, the suit is complete and I can share pix on Facebook, which I prefer to use for communication. Add me up on FB, Ammar Shraim, you'll find a pic of me wearing specs and facing the camera :p

I'll answer all your concerns with pix on there.

Hey brother, I JUST bought an iconics-collectibles cowl and neckpiece and it looks AWESOME on you!!! I ALSO bought a Gotham City FX mesh hood to go underneath. I NEED some feed back from you. What is your head size because it says it will fit up to a 24" head? Also, now that you have the neckpiece on, is it easy to turn your he'd and look up and down without the neckpiece getting in the way or any discomfort? Main concern is the the head size. If your head size is about the same as mine, then I won't have any problems with that hood. And the neckpiece is beautiful, just wondering about the comfort and ability to move the head.
Very Respectfully,
Derrick

I have the same cowl and neck piece in urethene...the cowls a perfect fit but like yours my neck piece is not attached to anything...hot glue doesn't stick to it, what glue did you used and what did you stick the neck piece too?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back